Football governance

Nobody

It’s incredible how toxic this new ‘brand’ is already.

What sponsors are going to go anywhere near it knowing that as a result they could lose a significant amount of custom by association?

The value of being a key partner would have plummeted massively in just 36 hours.

21 minutes ago, Sima said:

What sponsors are going to go anywhere near it knowing that as a result they could lose a significant amount of custom by association?

The value of being a key partner would have plummeted massively in just 36 hours.

Well that's true. But legacy fans need to keep the pressure on and make it clear to thses partners that their participation will hurt their bottom line.  

8 hours ago, Adam said:

Perez is one of the biggest cunts in all of football, how anyone still listens to him is beyond me. I'm hoping this finally fucks him but no doubt he'll make Real a shitload of money and be around for ever. 

He literally said "we're going to save football" :lol:

Can't fail to notice that the ESL was announced just a few days after he was reelected.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I see a bit of talk about the National ban for players being harsh as they are under contract and can't do anything about it. Is there not a potential precedent or possibility that if the clubs are chucked out of Uefa/Their own national leagues due to breaching rule, the players have clearly not been consulted, could all of their contracts be null and void? They have potentially endangered the players and staff's careers here. 

Or maybe the players are grown men and can put in transfer requests etc, negotiate exit from contracts, stuff like that 

13 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Well that's true. But legacy fans need to keep the pressure on and make it clear to thses partners that their participation will hurt their bottom line.  

Will they care if they gain 5 new plastic worldwide fans for every 1 lost legacy fan?

39 minutes ago, Sima said:

Seems like a slam dunk for brand opposition :lol:

Coke : "Proud sponsors of the Super League."

Pepsi: "We stand with the fans."

4 minutes ago, thomas said:

Similar to how Sony shit all over Microsoft around the Xbox One / PS4 reveal.

Microsoft - We're inplementing DRM and every game will be linked electronically to the console.

Sony - Trade used games how you want.  Their branding was literally 'For the Players'.

Just now, Beren said:

The PL should just say the first three if the six to drop out from the ESL won't be deducted 20 points and watch the backstabbing begin. :lol:

Although I want this to happen so it can fail and the domestic league can be rid of these behemoths. And Spurs.

Our participation was agreed by Bartomeu - one of the very last acts of his presidency actually - I want to believe that Laporta is just quietly following along (nobody from the club has said anything besides the press release stating we were founders) until he sees what side of the bread is buttered.

For now I will enjoy Florentino being the world's supervillain for a few days.

Edited by Village Idiot

8 minutes ago, thomas said:

Yeah, this is very true. No brand is going to want to be associated with this, especially given how much brands are displaying their 'progressiveness' these days. Either these teams turn around public opinion on this or it's a complete non-starter because brands won't want to be associated with this.

I don't know if this has been posted before. It's an interesting insight into the level of debt which these clubs are trying to sustain. Whatever they might say about trying to save the game, they are really trying to save themselves.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-tottenham-stadium-debt-19804839

I can't see that the rest of the Premiership have any option but to fight it tooth and nail. Yes, the Premiership will be diminished if the six clubs leave, but it will be diminshed in status anyway, because it won't have access to the top European competition. Creating a closed shop inevitably leaves the remainder looking second-rate.

Just now, Cronky said:

I don't know if this has been posted before. It's an interesting insight into the level of debt which these clubs are trying to sustain. Whatever they might say about trying to save the game, they are really trying to save themselves.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-tottenham-stadium-debt-19804839

I can't see that the rest of the Premiership have any option but to fight it tooth and nail. Yes, the Premiership will be diminished if the six clubs leave, but it will be diminshed in status anyway, because it won't have access to the top European competition. Creating a closed shop inevitably leaves the remainder looking second-rate.

Yeah, this is a nuclear war. If the rest of the teams in the league allow this to happen, they've surrendered a huge chunk of their future revenues and thus value. 

Guest HTT II

I sincerely hope the powers that be revoke the league status, FA status and UEFA/FIFA status of all 6 clubs and suspend them with immediate effect, and for good. 

Fuck the lot of them, in the manner they clearly give a fuck about the rest of the game/clubs/fans.

I’d love a PL without them, more competition, better games, less histrionics and tired same old same old nonsense every season.

Without them other clubs can thrive even more and shine away from their shadow. Obviously NUFC will still continue to fucking bomb under Ashley and co... but I quite fancy the idea of a Leicester being the big shots of a new brave dawn of English football, or a Southampton or a Leeds or hopefully one day a NUFC. Let’s level the playing field and bid good riddance to the 6 legacy clubs....

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, Beren said:

The PL should just say the first three if the six to drop out from the ESL won't be deducted 20 points and watch the backstabbing begin. :lol:

With a slight variation we could lose just two teams and have the 18 team league that we supposedly were aspiring to.

I think these 6 clubs need to be very careful of what they are proposing, it may end up with the remaining 14 + 6 championship clubs forcing the issue and booting the 6 out of the Premier League.  The new version of the Premier League could then set some more sensible rules on transfer caps, salary caps and fan ownership. 

13 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Will they care if they gain 5 new plastic worldwide fans for every 1 lost legacy fan?

I believe so. England is an extremely wealthy country. Opposition from fans in Germany, France, Netherlands, and the rest of Europe  will help.  You'd be targeting the advertisers and other promoters of this scam in your country.

The foolish thing about this Super League is that it's another means to increase revenue to paper over a massive crack in Football finances. Transfer fees and wages have to stop going up like they are. TV deals have to stop needing to increase by billions every time. The spending has gone out of control across 30 years and the huge eye watering debts the big clubs have has led to this situation of not wanting, but needing to keep earning even more money to sustain the astronomical spending in football.

Covid has really damaged the football money system and again highlighted how fragile it all is unless more cash is pumped in - it shouldn't need more money and that's where this conversation now needs to go. The issue like it always has been is lack of proper spending controls. Now it's got so bad the top clubs are ready to make their own moves to get more money in. Yes it's greed, but look at their debts. They obviously feel like they need to be in the driving seat of generating more revenue. More revenue every year is not needed, less cost is the real answer. There needs to be a something like a ten year glide path agreed to phase in a transfer and wage cap which all clubs must abide by. Pay off your debts and run with a surplus, invest in grass roots. Enough is enough.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I sincerely hope the powers that be revoke the league status, FA status and UEFA/FIFA status of all 6 clubs and suspend them with immediate effect, and for good. 

Fuck the lot of them, in the manner they clearly give a fuck about the rest of the game/clubs/fans.

I’d love a PL without them, more competition, better games, less histrionics and tired same old same old nonsense every season.

Without them other clubs can thrive even more and shine away from their shadow. Obviously NUFC will still continue to fucking bomb under Ashley and co... but I quite fancy the idea of a Leicester being the big shots of a new brave dawn of English football, or a Southampton or a Leeds or hopefully one day a NUFC. Let’s level the playing field and bid good riddance the the 6 legacy clubs....

Naa, I hope they let them back in at the bottom of the football pyramid and have the indignity of playing all the smaller clubs on the way up. It would be like the shame bell scene from GoT. They’ll bottle neck as well when only so many teams can go up, meaning the likes of arsenal and spuds will be trapped for further seasons. 

It's clear they were counting on fans of their clubs simply going along with it. 

That's why the hardcore/matchgoing support are referred to as 'legacy fans', they've assumed they will retain that support in its entirety and keep all of that revenue already in place.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Naa, I hope they let them back in at the bottom of the football pyramid and have the indignity of playing all the smaller clubs on the way up. It would be like the shame bell scene from GoT. They’ll bottle neck as well when only so many teams can go up, meaning the likes of arsenal and spuds will be trapped for further seasons. 

Do this but add an additional promotion place, keeping the tradional places for 'legacy non-league clubs' to ensure they are promoted as they would be.  Regardless of position.

Even if they 12 clubs back down, they've blown it, they must be punished. I still cannot get over the fact they did this without so much as even hinting to managers. I might be far too Football Manager orientated, but I just can't understand that. It's like they (owners) know they're doing something wrong, but just trying to brave it through, take the flak, hope it settles. That Madrid cunt, jesus fucking christ, as if the owners of Real Madrid give a fuck about the wider game. They never have, never will. 

8 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Been pure lurking on this thread for 36 hours now without saying owt, been a canny read and I'm gripped by all of this honestly. There is some twisted satisfaction in seeing it all burn after having the piss ripped out of us as fans of the game for so long. My emptiness towards NUFC has only been growing over recent years so it's nice to finally feel something. 

The most striking thing for me is the odd comment or inside detail that slips out from any of the vultures responsible for all of this, and how utterly disgusting their attitude towards the world around them is. Such obnoxious views about traditions, communities and history that they don't care about or try to understand. All they want to do is capitalise on it. 

Football has been on the road to this grotesque mirror image of capitalism gone wild for a long time now but this just takes that sickly feeling you get as a fan to a whole new level. This is much bigger than football - increasingly I'm looking at the world around me exasperated at the inequality, the unfairness and the greed. Good people are being fucked over left, right and centre by billionaire psychopaths and us plebs are at each others throats fighting for the scraps. 

Money poisons everything and it seems there's no escape from that fact, not even in the sport you used to always be able to rely on for your escapism. If the backlash to this can bring people together then great but I think we've unfortunately all been too nice about this for far too long now and the ship has probably already sailed. 

Good post.

3 minutes ago, BlufPurdi said:

Even if they 12 clubs back down, they've blown it, they must be punished. I still cannot get over the fact they did this without so much as even hinting to managers. I might be far too Football Manager orientated, but I just can't understand that. It's like they (owners) know they're doing something wrong, but just trying to brave it through, take the flak, hope it settles. That Madrid cunt, jesus fucking christ, as if the owners of Real Madrid give a fuck about the wider game. They never have, never will. 

Aye, if they (hypothetically) come back to the table and say they've made a mistake they still need punished by both UEFA and their domestic leagues.