Football governance

Nobody

7 hours ago, Ameritoon said:
7 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Chelsea can probably live without it but are the club with the least fan push back seemingly. Given the vast majority of them are idiots.

Chelsea’s forum was a better read than RAWK yesterday. I was surprised by how many Liverpool fans were in support of it. That said, you would expect the northern teams’ fans to mobilise better.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You need to hit them in the pocket. Unfortunately if that means punishing them by relegation, a points deduction or a large fine/lengthy transfer ban so be it.

13 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

If they value the competition of the league above all else then the fans will have to accept a punishment.   I think a line has been crossed now, they either back down or the rest of the footballing world makes their new league redundant, empty and worthless.

The breakaway Super League has a much better chance of succeeding if their fans rally behind the idea. As much as I'd like to bury those clubs, I think we need to keep to keep the fans -- the people, onside.  I not sure how to do that.

On the other hand... I don't know how many times I've read some ManU or Liverpool fan express the opinion that nobody will care about the Premier League without them.  So, f*** em.

6 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I swear to God, if they capitulate to these rat bastards...

I’m not sure how they can. The governing bodies are in damned if they do, damned if they don’t territory but giving any sort of meaningful ground on the SL is signing their own death warrants. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I see a bit of talk about the National ban for players being harsh as they are under contract and can't do anything about it. Is there not a potential precedent or possibility that if the clubs are chucked out of Uefa/Their own national leagues due to breaching rule, the players have clearly not been consulted, could all of their contracts be null and void? They have potentially endangered the players and staff's careers here. 

Fuck them. They’ve been as quiet as mice since the news broke. 

For me there's only two ways to go about it:

i) stop it at all costs, then significantly punish all involved.

ii) let them go, kick them out of all competitions and start the lengthy process of rebuilding the PL 'brand' (shudders).

Edited by The Prophet

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

For me there's only two ways to go about it:

i) stop it all costs, then significantly punish all involved.

ii) let them go, kick them out of all competitions and start the lengthy process of rebuilding the PL 'brand' (shudders).

These are the only options.  

Give them an ultimatum that they cant play in the Premier League and play in un official mid week league. The choice is theirs to make, lets see how quickly they bottle it when the bread and butter gets threatened.  

Having a bit more time to reflect on this all, and taking in all the interviews and statements from those for and against, I just can't help but feel incredibly upset more than anything else. Again, there's no intention to come on here and cry about the state of my club whenever Newcastle United fans have been through the absolute ringer in terms of club ownership, but it really feels like the identity of my club is very close to being completely stripped away.

In 2005 when the Glazers took over there were serious protests, but they completely held their nerve and are still there today, and that's the bit that scares me. They couldn't have bought the club at a better time, i.e. when Sir Alex was manager. He was still able to bring success to the club and because the Glazers made themselves scarce it all was brushed under the carpet. However they were always looking to turn this club into a franchise, and this is likely the first opportunity they have had to do so. I don't think they will back down, as they simply don't care. They didn't care when they bought us, and they don't care now. All you can hear from the ESL side is "commercial approach, financial resources, economic growth," etc. It actually makes me sick. I know we've had a lot of money for a long time, and have enjoyed financial superiority over most clubs, and whether true or not I always felt like most of it was earned. There is literally zero achievement to this. It is just a shameless cash grab, and the money will go straight to the Glazers. It doesn't even matter if we finish 17th in the league, as a founding club we're still going to get £100m+ a season for being part of this shit. How anyone can think that is OK is beyond me.

The Munich disaster, The Busby Babes, The European Cup win in 1968, The Ferguson Era, that night in Barcelona, that night in Moscow. 20 league titles will have no meaning. All of it is starting to feel pretty meaningless. FC United of Manchester was set up in protest against the Glazers, and that's where I'll go if this actually goes through. I actually found "Green and gold until the club is sold" a little cringe, but it rings true. I'm almost at breaking point of being able to support this club while we're owned by parasites.

All of the above is my anger as a fan of a club who will be part of this operation. I genuinely cannot fathom how other sides in the Premier League must be feeling. Teams rise and fall as the years go on based on their success on the pitch. Everyone as a supporter has the dream to reach the top be it as a Newcastle United fan, an entitled Chelsea fan, a diehard Manchester United fan, a Burnley fan or an Ipswich Town fan. We've all won the top flight title, why can't we do it again? We've all played elite European football, why can't we do it again? This ruins all of that. Teams like Leicester? They will never win the league again. It's pretty much impossible with the ESL in place.

I was already struggling to enjoy football when the likes of VAR came in. I find it hard to celebrate goals now. We could score a 90th minute winner against Liverpool and I would barely make a sound as you're expecting to wait three minutes only to be told your scorer was offside by a literal whisker. Everything is so boring. Very soon I'll find it hard to enjoy anything at all.

9 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

These are the only options.  

Give them an ultimatum that they cant play in the Premier League and play in un official mid week league. The choice is theirs to make, lets see how quickly they bottle it when the bread and butter gets threatened.  

I thought they didn’t have any legal right to ban them from the league??

6 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

I thought they didn’t have any legal right to ban them from the league??

Their new mid week league will break the competition of the Premier League, im sure there are rules in their but I suppose time will tell. 

Gary Neville has spoken really well on this, as has Carragher.

It just struck me though, if Project Big Picture had been waved through then the six clubs could have presumably implemented this without consequences, and anything else they wanted for that matter.  Was so short sighted of Neville to publicly back that proposal when it would have left English football with no power in these situations.

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

What does it say?  I can't see tweets from work

Everton is saddened and disappointed to see proposals of a breakaway league pushed forward by six clubs.

Six clubs acting entirely in their own interests.

Six clubs tarnishing the reputation of our league and the game.

Six clubs choosing to disrespect every other club with whom they sit around the Premier League table.

Six clubs taking for granted and even betraying the majority of football supporters across our country and beyond.

At this time of national and international crisis - and a defining period for our game - clubs should be working together collaboratively with the ideals of our game and its supporters uppermost.

Instead, these clubs have been secretly conspiring to break away from a football pyramid that has served them so well.

And in that Pyramid Everton salutes EVERY club, be it Leicester City, Accrington Stanley, Gillingham, Lincoln City, Morecambe, Southend United, Notts County and the rest who have, with their very being, enriched the lives of their supporters throughout the game's history. And vice versa.

The self-proclaimed Super Six appear intent on disenfranchising supporters across the game - including their own - by putting the very structure that underpins the game we love under threat.

The backlash is understandable and deserved – and has to be listened to.

This preposterous arrogance is not wanted anywhere in football outside of the clubs that have drafted this plan.

On behalf of everyone associated with Everton, we respectfully ask that the proposals are immediately withdrawn and that the private meetings and subversive practises that have brought our beautiful game to possibly its lowest ever position in terms of trust end now.

Finally we would ask the owners, chairmen, and Board members of the six clubs to remember the privileged position they hold – not only as custodians of their clubs but also custodians of the game. The responsibility they carry should be taken seriously.

We urge them all to consider what they wish their legacy to be.

Everton FC Board of Directors

15 minutes ago, Froggy said:

All you can hear from the ESL side is "commercial approach, financial resources, economic growth," etc.

That's why it's reassuring, but confusing, to see such widespread objection. Ordinarily, in the political world, those words would generate widespread support. Maybe the tide is changing.

Probably a tsunami to wipe us all out, like.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

That's why it's reassuring, but confusing, to see such widespread objection. Ordinarily, in the political world, those words would generate widespread support. Maybe the tide is changing.

Probably a tsunami to wipe us all out, like.

The widespread objection comes as those words are only meant for 6 clubs out of however many in the English football pyramid.