Football governance

Nobody

Just now, BlufPurdi said:

Even if they 12 clubs back down, they've blown it, they must be punished. I still cannot get over the fact they did this without so much as even hinting to managers. I might be far too Football Manager orientated, but I just can't understand that. It's like they (owners) know they're doing something wrong, but just trying to brave it through, take the flak, hope it settles. That Madrid cunt, jesus fucking christ, as if the owners of Real Madrid give a fuck about the wider game. They never have, never will. 

Football, and especially its owners have shown its ugly face. We have to hope the fans never forget and certainly not forgive what they’ve tried to do to their clubs. 

we’ve heard it’s coming for some time but the bubble has burst. It’s up to the leagues now to decide whether this is a good thing or not. It could be a crowning moment with expulsions, bans and government giving control back to then fans. It would be great if these greedy snakes have signed their own execution slip and are about to have their prized assets reduced and even removed from their power.

I think the key point is the difference in view point. 

The owners see the clubs as a business and the fans as customers to be milked. 

the fans see themselves as custodians  who’s job it is to protect the traditions and history. 

it’s yet another battle field between principles and laws. The fans have the high ground but the owners are protected by said laws. 

How do you punish them though?

A 25 point deduction might still get man city into europe but then relegate arsenal.

Or just put all six just above the relegation spots?

Ban them from europe for 3 years?

If you punish them financially it just exacerbates the existing problem and pushes the same problem further down the line.

Let them go and price ordinary fans out of the game?

How does the Premier League, FA, UEFA, FIFA punish the owners without rallying the fans of those clubs to their side? Neville, Carragher, etc. are makinfg the right sounds now, but if the hammer does come down that will change very quickly I expect.

Edited by gazza ladra

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Or scrap groups. I'd be much more likely to watch say Red Star Belgrade Liverpool if it was a knockout game, and I'd prefer to watch that than a Liverpool Juve group game. Been moving away from that approach for years though cos it's also about having more games.

^I read somewhere Liverpool, ManU and Arsenal were the ring leaders of the English teams.

Completely agree. I grew up watching Notts Forest win the European Cup in a series of two-legged ties, and loved it. Never missed a European night from then on. Ipswich, Spurs, Aberdeen, Everton, One of the Dundees, Villa, and of course Liverpool.

Every game had something at stake, and was exciting for that reason. Gained a wealth of knowledge on foreign players, making the international competitions deeply engaging. Still remember an argument, in the 90s, with a friend that tried to claim Jan Ceulemans was Dutch.

12 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

How do you punish them though?

A 25 point deduction might still get man city into europe but then relegate arsenal.

Or just put all six just above the relegation spots?

Ban them from europe for 3 years?

If you punish them financially it just exacerbates the existing problem and pushes the same problem further down the line.

Let them go and price ordinary fans out of the game?

I have no answer to that really, but something can and must be done regardless if this even goes ahead. They need that power stripped away from them. 

7 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

How does the Premier League, FA, UEFA, FIFA punish the owners without rallying the fans of those clubs to their side? Neville, Carragher, etc. are makinfg the right sounds now, but if the hammer does come down that will change very quickly I expect.

You need to hit them in the pocket. Unfortunately if that means punishing them by relegation, a points deduction or a large fine/lengthy transfer ban so be it.

6 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

If they value the competition of the league above all else then the fans will have to accept a punishment.   I think a line has been crossed now, they either back down or the rest of the footballing world makes their new league redundant, empty and worthless.

I dread the idea of Charnley representing us in this meeting, the biggest meeting in football in this country for the last 30 / 40 years and we have this moron at the table. 

Only takes one pundit, currently in opposition, to accept a widely reported huge contract at the official broadcasters and this will sail through.

Bill Gates didn't lift 33% of the global population out of poverty, into relative poverty, for nothing. That's a lot of people who can now afford subscriptions.

2 minutes ago, BlufPurdi said:

I have no answer to that really, but something can and must be done regardless if this even goes ahead. They need that power stripped away from them. 

Yes it does.

If it falls through, their actions will probably force the tv rights companies, sponsors and commercial partners to pay LESS because theyll now be worried that their investment won't be realised.

Just now, Hhtoon said:

The 5 clubs that qualify by achievement each season is a little condescending - "we now deem your puny club worthy of playing with us".

Would love it if those chosen told them to fuck off.

Well you just wouldn’t go as they either be too good, you aren’t getting their cash to make you better and your alternative is to win the CL, which without them is a real possibility. There might also be further punishments to teams going even for a season. It’s a total non starter. Even the 3 additional teams will be Mack-tracking right now, we may never know who they were.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Only takes one pundit, currently in opposition, to accept a widely reported huge contract at the official broadcasters and this will sail through.

Bill Gates didn't lift 33% of the global population out of poverty, into relative poverty, for nothing. That's a lot of people who can now afford subscriptions.

I knew this would be Bill Gates’ fault somehow.  The bastard.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I suspect the five invited guests would be the highest bidders.

Bidders? You think someone will pay to join for a year and lose income from other competitions? Their FFP records would look interesting.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I suspect the five invited guests would be the highest bidders.

Its the early stages of a wider footballing franchise body, eventually in years to come, if it ever really does go ahead.  They will drop the invites to others and teams will be invited to apply as a permanent  expansion team but will have to pay a fortune to be a member.  

Edited by Northerngimp

1 minute ago, Northerngimp said:

Its the early stages of a wider footballing franchise body, eventually in years to come, if it ever really does go ahead.  They will drop the invites to others and teams will be invited to apply as an expansion team but will have to pay a fortune to be a member.  

Which they will probably get back from sponsorship. 

11 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

I dread the idea of Charnley representing us in this meeting, the biggest meeting in football in this country for the last 30 / 40 years and we have this moron at the table. 

Hopefully thumbheed will have a lawyer with him at the meeting.