Football governance

Nobody

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just more of the incoherent, overly defensive hot air we've become used to, including a random swipe at Neville, rather than properly addressing/commenting on the only significant issue. 

Will seek it out. It obviously harder for him to speak out than the players. Although not quite sure why having said that. Arguably he has more responsibility to speak up.

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Will seek it out. It obviously harder for him to speak out than the players. Although not quite sure why having said that. Arguably he has more responsibility to speak up.

I’ll call it now if the Super League goes ahead, that all current managers and the vast majority of the players will still be at the 6 clubs.

Edited by et tu brute

51 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just more of the incoherent, overly defensive hot air we've become used to, including a random swipe at Neville, rather than properly addressing/commenting on the only significant issue. 

He also, unprompted, praised the Liverpool owners.

Dunno how true this might be but I do think Liverpool may be vulnerable - known for this romanticism, love of fans, You'll Never Walk Alone etc. It's kind of their thing.

If they're stuck on 12 teams and can't get PSG, Bayern, Dortmund, Porto etc to enter, the momentum has swung the other way and it's suddenly just a glorified friendly tournament with a Chinese Super League vibe.

Chelsea can probably live without it but are the club with the least fan push back seemingly. Given the vast majority of them are idiots.

If Spirit of Shankley dont go full on for this then I'll be incredibly disappointed. Annoyingly I think Liverpool are the only fan group of the 6 capable of taking this on and getting a result. Hopefully Neville can whip up a storm and if Ferguson has some stronger words maybe Man United fans can muster up some kind of fucking emotion to have a go back. Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs Ive got no fucking hope for fans pressure wise but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. And it's time for City fans to prove all of what has seemed empty sentiment so far about their love for the club and the city and community. I don't hold much hope there either, mind. 

The best chance for pressure is from some of the more grounded and connected clubs and fans not included in the big 6 to make the environment for it so hostile the big 6 have no choice but to run off with their tails between their legs. So us, Leeds, Wolves, Villa, West Ham, Leicester, Everton. The big 6 might think they dont care about the opinions of fans from other clubs now but this is our league and our game and our towns and cities and we have to make them terrified. Its a shame we've lost the passion of the likes of Wednesday, Forest, Birmingham... Christ even Sunderland fans as representation of the emotion of football in this country as they're not in the PL. But all of them as well. 

If this isnt a united football fans pushback from everyone with as much anger as possible, then we'll end up losing, Maybe not now but not too distant in the future. Kill it dead now and fucking burn the cunts.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

30 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

I'm certain that the very first reporting stated that five English clubs were involved - it seems City signed on very late

There were rumblings prior to the announcement that Man City said no but then they were announced with the rest

Perez is completely right in his diagnosis of the problem. The CL is only interesting from the quarterfinals onwards. He's completely right. Barely anyone watches the group stages except as background TV. His solution is wrong though, because it will dilute the product. They need to fix the CL by reducing teams, or making sure that only competitive teams enter the group stages. Maybe have bigger groups, as well, so you have more big teams playing together early on in the season.

4 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Dunno how true this might be but I do think Liverpool may be vulnerable - known for this romanticism, love of fans, You'll Never Walk Alone etc. It's kind of their thing.

If they're stuck on 12 teams and can't get PSG, Bayern, Dortmund, Porto etc to enter, the momentum has swung the other way and it's suddenly just a glorified friendly tournament with a Chinese Super League vibe.

Nah. Pretty sure it's not Liverpool. You think the owners give a shit about romanticism, fans , YNWA and stuff? If they did, they would never have signed up in the first place. These are the same people who wanted our takeover blocked. They want to see this through. It's American owned so they're at the head of the queue.

City were the last to join. And they actually don't need it. Suspect Chelsea too like someone said. Arsenal and Spurs are begging to get this passed.

Edited by nufcjb

24 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Perez is completely right in his diagnosis of the problem. The CL is only interesting from the quarterfinals onwards. He's completely right. Barely anyone watches the group stages except as background TV. His solution is wrong though, because it will dilute the product. They need to fix the CL by reducing teams, or making sure that only competitive teams enter the group stages. Maybe have bigger groups, as well, so you have more big teams playing together early on in the season.

Or scrap groups. I'd be much more likely to watch say Red Star Belgrade Liverpool if it was a knockout game, and I'd prefer to watch that than a Liverpool Juve group game. Been moving away from that approach for years though cos it's also about having more games.

^I read somewhere Liverpool, ManU and Arsenal were the ring leaders of the English teams.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

6 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

On VAR though, we would need a replacement, because all we did for years was argue for technology, and now people just complain about it. I like it, but I dont like the ridiculous parts of it. It could still be used,but used better. If VAR kept us in the league, nobody would be complaining that particular day.

The problem isn't the technology but how it is being used. Worth noting that all sports had teething issues with the introduction of technology that they worked through with time. There is no going back.

Biggest part of me probably hopes that nobody bottles it; they can all fuck off and lie in the bed they've made. Would almost rather shake things up and see what comes out the other end at this point. Like Collymore says, game is already fucked and this is just a logical conclusion

Edited by OpenC

I see a bit of talk about the National ban for players being harsh as they are under contract and can't do anything about it. Is there not a potential precedent or possibility that if the clubs are chucked out of Uefa/Their own national leagues due to breaching rule, the players have clearly not been consulted, could all of their contracts be null and void? They have potentially endangered the players and staff's careers here. 

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I see a bit of talk about the National ban for players being harsh as they are under contract and can't do anything about it. Is there not a potential precedent or possibility that if the clubs are chucked out of Uefa/Their own national leagues due to breaching rule, the players have clearly not been consulted, could all of their contracts be null and void? They have potentially endangered the players and staff's careers here. 

In Spain, the contracts are held by the league IIRC so they could null/void them.

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Some lawyer did post common stuff in contracts that suggests this would be a breach of players' contracts by clubs. So don't know exactly what that would mean - maybe that they can force moves away easier if they want out of it.

28 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Biggest part of me probably hopes that nobody bottles it; they can all fuck off and lie in the bed they've made. Would almost rather shake things up and see what comes out the other end at this point. Like Collymore says, game is already fucked and this is just a logical conclusion

I'm at the stage of wanting them to go through with it, let it be a damp squib and we continue without. One or two drop outs that undermine it without stopping it going ahead would be lovely.

This lot are saying people are losing interest in football - where's that coming from? Seems like it's bigger than ever - by losing interest to they just mean a slowdown in growth (of revenue). Maybe some tv deals have stalled but that's after huge rises, and maybe too many games - surely it's still growth from a few years ago. And why do we need continuous relentless growth (okay I know).