Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

I saw this elsewhere this morning. It is Stewart Downing talking about Martin O'Neill.

Bruce strikes me exactly in this mould, only problem being he's doing it over ten years later and he's not being given a huge amount of money like MON was, and obviously, no sixth place finishes. That shit does not work any more.

"There were no tactics," Downing added. "You know some managers say right-back and so on. He'd just list the players, Friedel, Cuellar, Youngy... Then we'd look at each other like where are you playing?

"He's only rule was if either me or Youngy were having a quiet game then he'd tell us to switch, me, Agbonlahor and Young, he'd always switch us three around.

"We had days off and I was literally living in Middlesbrough playing for Villa because I'd have two/three days off a week. Honestly, he was unbelievable. He was like a Brian Clough."

Prior to O'Neill's resignation, Downing and the Villa squad spent pre-season in Dublin, which included seven nights out with Richard Dunne and James Collins the life and soul of the group after their recent arrivals.

As Downing continued: "Even in pre-season in Ireland... I like a night out and a few do. He'd signed Richard Dunne at this point.

"We'd train and then (O'Neill) said, I don't give a f*** what happens, make sure you're all fit on August 14. If you're injured don't play, if you're not feeling right don't play. You can have a night out.

"We were there for 10 nights in Dublin and I think we were out for seven. We were out till late with Dunney all around Dublin, James Collins. Honestly, I was thinking there's no way we're finishing in the top six, we've been on the p*** for seven days. Then we'd get back for pre-season, you've had your fun and a laugh it's time to work.

Edited by brummie

He was definitely pandered too, and that's fine.

Sure Bruce has been lovely to have around the training ground, cheeky scamp and his bacon sarnies and late starts.

But if players want to be professional and be the best version of themselves, then today is a good day.

Anyone who wants to fuck around (shelvey) are free to fuck off.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Not surprised ASM loves him like, the absolute reliance on him has made him stand out as one of the league's better players. 

More that his lateness was not made a big deal out of and did not affect his playing time. also was given no structure whatsoever on the pitch and was free to do as he pleased.

Bruce basically just catered to him to keep him sweet because ASM was his only hope of getting any results as he didn't bother with any tactical work.

On reflection , think back to 3 weeks ago , nothing .

Now we have the new Saudi owners we wanted and no Bruce.

Fuck the haters , the press , the mates, fuck them all , this is the new beginning we all wanted and craved and we now , everyone at NUFC can move on . 

A fantastic few weeks , let the club now build and let’s fucking enjoy it HWTFL .:indi:

Edited by GWN

ASM will have loved him due to his own importance to the side; given pretty much a free role and probably was allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted to on and off the pitch, a la jetting off to France whenever he wants to, et cetera. Can't blame him.

I don't mind people complimenting him on his personality like ASM did there. They live in a different world than us where Bruce probably is a nice guy.

He doesn't give him any compliments on his ability as a manager.