Do you plan to return to St. James Park when allowed?

astraguy

Do you plan to return to SJP when allowed?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to return to SJP when allowed?

• Yes
    • No

I got my season ticket after being locked out vs Grimsby and gave it up after SBR left (mainly due to financial reasons) , have only been back on about a couple of dozen times since, when given a free ticket, each time I've been, we've been that shite that I wished I hadn't bothered. I still miss going tho' and wish I could still get exited about them, one day hopefully.

What pisses me off is the self-called superfans who come up with the 'support the team not the regime' card every single time. I put my record of attending games against most over a 40-year period, but 5 year ago I said enough is enough, as it was blatantly obvious that the owner was simply running the club to the ground, with no prospect whatsoever of showing any ambition to move the club forward.

To me anybody who continues to spout this shite and attend games are the ones who are not real supporters of the club. 

Edited by et tu brute

1st game in 1976. ST holder for 29 years til Rafa went. 180+ loyalty pts sacrificed. Hoped more would do likewise and chuck it but sadly the 'if Rafa goes we go' claim was all bollocks and I felt badly let down when the drop in attendance was minimal. Wondered why I'd gave up my pts and what had been a massive part of life since I was a bairn. After fluking a few good results and feeling like I was missing it, I fell for taking up a free half season ticket when one was offered. Very wrong in hindsight. It's blatantly obvious we have a football club in name only and have a desire to merely exist and no longer compete. A pointless club. The club is rotten to the core. We should be like Blackpool who's fans really did stay away and eventually brought change. Mind you Blackpool didn't have premier league tv money coming in but neither will we next season. Having been away for so long and well out of a bad habit, I'll be staying away and it won't be easier than it is now.

49 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Mind you Blackpool didn't have premier league tv money coming in

Not saying you're saying exactly this, but something similar has been trumpeted for ages - "Ashley won't care if you stop away, he doesn't need the ticket money with the size of the TV deals so we might as well just keep going"

The pandemic has proven this to be utter bullshit. Without ticket revenue, he's fucked.

4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Not saying you're saying exactly this, but something similar has been trumpeted for ages - "Ashley won't care if you stop away, he doesn't need the ticket money with the size of the TV deals so we might as well just keep going"

The pandemic has proven this to be utter bullshit. Without ticket revenue, he's fucked.

The super fans will come up with another reason as to why it makes no difference to Ashley whether they turn up or not.

9 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Exactly. Stay away and we get our club back it’s that simple. Unfortunately we have far too many brain dead spineless sheep in our ranks for that to ever happen. I don’t think there are many other fanbases  that wouldn’t have had Ashley out by now  

It’s only a day out for me n me mates. And the kids love it so it would be hard on them. And I forgot to cancel my renewal so I may as well go. And I support the team not the regime. That covers most of the shit excuse to go crack doesn’t it??

1 hour ago, RS said:

It’s only a day out for me n me mates. And the kids love it so it would be hard on them. And I forgot to cancel my renewal so I may as well go. And I support the team not the regime. That covers most of the shit excuse to go crack doesn’t it??

You forgot the "it's the only way I am able to bond with my father/grandfather".

13 hours ago, Chris_R said:

You're right. Staying away is the only real sanction that can make a difference and that's what I'll be doing. All I'm saying is fans of lower division Blackpool staying away puts more pressure on their owners because gate revenue at Blackpool is a much bigger proportion of income to that club as it is premier league Newcastle. That's why I say if we go down and stay down for a few seasons and tv money dries up it might crank the pressure up on Ashley to sell. That combined with us staying away of course.

I haven’t been since Rafa left and won’t be returning. I live in London and it was a big commitment for me to make the trip four or five times a season. I did it because football used to be a fun experience and with Rafa I wanted to believe things were changing. Rafa gave me hope and that’s obviously gone now - we are back to the same Ashley shit.

18 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I don't see why that would matter. I could be a billionaire and I'd still not set foot in that ground whilst Ashley's there.

Point is, if you weren't loaded there'd be even less chance of you going, right?

Nah. Not while things are the way they are. I haven't been in a few years anyway. 

Get much more enjoyment these days out of non-league and going to a few Italian games a year instead. 

I might do the odd away game if I can combine it with ticking off a new ground and having a weekend away. But that's about it. 

On 21/03/2021 at 20:57, Fantail Breeze said:

10,000 seats would sell within about 30 minutes.

Had this conversation on another thread but I doubt we’d ever get the attendance below 30k on a regular basis.

I don’t even know if that’s any different to other clubs tbh. Would Man Utd ever drop below 40,000? Would Chelsea ever drop below 20,000? Even clubs like Southampton, Leicester and Leeds have all had periods in the Championship and League One under shit ownership and retained a decent attendance.

With the amount of tickets available for hospitality, free student giveaways, the ‘hardcore’ bunch that wouldn’t leave even if Ashley killed their granny with Covid... empty stadiums are near on impossible.

The ground being in the city centre adds about 10k onto our attendance too. Thousands go just because they can walk out the pub at 2:50pm and still go to the match.