Players We Saw Way Too Much Of

Astroblack

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I wonder how my 13-year-old self would've felt had we sold Shearer to Liverpool at the end of 2003/04. I think I'd have probably been inconsolable. :lol:

There's a pretty fair argument that he should've gone earlier but, I mean, we were achieving nowt in either of those seasons, with or without Shearer. The closest we came to anything memorable/remarkable would've been Waffa glory in 04/05, and Shearer's contribution in that competition was very significant that season (he scored in literally every round). So I don't think it held us back in anyway. Souness was the manager ffs.

We got to see the record, he got etched in stone, and I'll be able to say that I grew up watching the club's record goalscorer. S'all good imo.

He obviously was on the downturn in his last two seasons, but in the summer of 04 it'd have seemed mental to sell him I think - in addition to who he was, like I say he'd just scored 22 league goals (+6 more). You wouldn't expect his to replicate that a year older, but it's so hard to get a player who scores that many (that's not been matched for us since), I think it'd have seemed mad to get rid of one you already had then. But aye, not disagreeing we should have been preparing for his demise and relying less on him.

Probably not going to be popular but here goes

Cisse - a couple of spells here and there but in reality he was a poor footballer after the first 6 months. And we kept going into each season "Giving him another chance to prove he should lead the line" 

Gutierrez. I get the happy ending but my god he he needed to be gone after 3 or 4 years, not to stay for 7.

1 hour ago, xLiaaamx said:

Cisse - a couple of spells here and there but in reality he was a poor footballer after the first 6 months. And we kept going into each season "Giving him another chance to prove he should lead the line" 

Gutierrez. I get the happy ending but my god he he needed to be gone after 3 or 4 years, not to stay for 7.

Always seems controversial to say he was largely terrible.

Similarly, I get the happy ending, but he was largely hopeless all the time he was here. Just ‘worked hard’.

Always hated Pardew and his constant selection of Santon and Jonas on the left side. Can half understand the logic, but it was arse backwards.

Santon is better going forward, Jonas can help defensively. But Santon is right footed, so always going to be cutting in and not getting to byline. Likewise Jonas, always cutting in on the right. 

Jonas couldn’t score or create anything, Santon forever being easy to defend against on the inside. 

Pardew playing Santon and Jonas together essentially gave our whole left side a vasectomy. That and the Mike Williamson corner routine are select tactical horrors I remember vividly from Pardew.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

8 hours ago, tgarve said:

Anyone saying shearer. Give your head a wobble he doesn’t deserve to be in this thread with these nothing men

Yes he should have been phased out for sporting reasons-  but this balanced with the record makes it all worth it and he deserves to have that place in the clubs history 

I don't think anyone's disputing his quality as a player, or the contribution he made in previous seasons. But the question was - did we see too much of him.

7 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Absofuckinglutely.

He was cack after that intial burst.

Guest HTT II

Apparently Mike Williamson was first in last out and the hardest working player at the club during his time here, I wasn’t a fan of him at all, but as Gateshead FC manager I’ve spoken to him/met him a few times and he comes across really well and saw his time at NUFC as something he was immensely proud to be part of. He’s been coaching my boy these last few days along with Ben Clark and Matty Pattison at Gateshead’s Easter footy camp. He did play far too many games for us, however, than his ‘talent’ belied...

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Smal said:

Yeah, never had any animosity for Williamson at all. Wasn’t his fault he was grossly overused and he obviously put everything into it that he could.

Aye he comes across so well too, really genuine and seemingly knowing that he was privileged to play at the standard he did at a club like NUFC for the time he did. From what I gather he was critical of how the club were being ran behind the scenes in terms of training, facilities etc. Him and others are working so hard at Gateshead on their academy/training/facilities side I do know that. Good luck to him, not the worst player to have ever played for us by a huge stretch. Just ultimately a player who should never have been part of the playing side at a more ambitious and better NUFC like so many others signed under Ashley’s ownership here. 

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Shelvey (obviously)

Obertan (only because I associate with him playing instead of Ben Arfa, which probably isn't the case, but hey).

Shelvey

and Shelvey 

Oh yeah, Obertan too. I’d erased him from my memory. Shocking. Fergie pulled a huge fast one on us with him. Think he phoned up our manager at the time (?Pardew) and highly recommended him and owld Pards’ ego fell for it 

45 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Apparently Mike Williamson was first in last out and the hardest working player at the club during his time here, I wasn’t a fan of him at all, but as Gateshead FC manager I’ve spoken to him/met him a few times and he comes across really well and saw his time at NUFC as something he was immensely proud to be part of. He’s been coaching my boy these last few days along with Ben Clark and Matty Pattison at Gateshead’s Easter footy camp. He did play far too many games for us, however, than his ‘talent’ belied...

I have no doubt he was a great pro and a really nice lad, how else would he have got in and stayed in the team?! He always came across well, but he was about as far from a PL CB as i've seen anywhere. 

Seeing his name on the team sheet week after week was one of the most depressing sights i've witnessed as a fan of this club because you knew we were going to concede - it was an absolute given. We've had some shit at the back but Taylor, Boumsong, Bramble etc. all had far more ability than Williamson for me.

Glad to hear he's doing well and enjoyed his time here though 

Colback. Utter cunt. Total shit.
Smith. Total shit. 
Butt. See above.
Obertan. Speedboat without a driver. Shit.
Simpson. That fucking throw in at Arsenal. Bellend.
Hendrick. How is he a footballer?
Ryan Taylor. Few good goals, but just played way too often. 
Williamson. Floated free kicks to him for about a century. Christ alive.

He's still here but has to be Joelinton for me, to see a striker so hopelessly out of his depth stay in the team for this long is soul sucking
Mike Williamson was not even league two standard when he was playing week in-week out for us so he's a good shout
Alan Smith and Nickey Butt legs were completely gone before they even signed for us, yet we got to see them stealing a living for too long
Jack Colback was also one, we seemed to lose every time we play him towards then end
Obertan was also another infuriating player as he always seemed to make the wrong choices.