Players We Saw Way Too Much Of

Astroblack

Both the Ameobi’s, Perch, Jonas, Williamson and Colback stand out to me names I’d never be pleased to see on a team sheet. 

Nobody jumps out in the years in between until Bruce, maybe Yedlin and Ki, but last two years it’s coincidentally been a deluge of wasters racking up game time.

Shelvey, Hendrick, Krath, Joelinton, Carroll, Gayle

57 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He is already when you take into account the money spent on him

My thoughts exactly. :lol:

Comfortably in the top two worst signings in our modern history. Probably top, pipping Owen. 

Gouffran. Not because he's the worst player we've had by any means, but because of the players he kept out. Constant source of annoyance seeing his name on the team sheet.

5 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Rob (not Robbie) Elliott. 

This is sacrilege but Shearer. Yes we got to see him break the goalscoring record, but Bobby's last season should have been Kluivert and Bellamy with Shearer being phased out. Instead we ended up replacing him with a disinterested Owen

Tbf Shearer had just banged in 22 league goals in Bobby's last full season (his 4th best season).

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Tbf Shearer had just banged in 22 league goals in Bobby's last full season (his 4th best season).

Yup, but one thing we've been really bad at is looking to phase out or sell players at the right time. 

He's a fucking legend and of course the comment is with the benefit of bucket loads of hindsight but it was 2 seasons too many as the main man

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Yup, but one thing we've been really bad at is looking to phase out or sell players at the right time. 

He's a fucking legend and of course the comment is with the benefit of bucket loads of hindsight but it was 2 seasons too many as the main man

I've been summoning up the nerve to post that and I'm pleased I can follow someone else.

Second to last season he should have been a squad player and he shouldn't have played at all in his last season.

From the point of view of the development of the team, it was a bad mistake for him to continue. Sir Bob was building a good young side and Shearer should have been phased out. It didn't happen, Sir Bob lost his job, and we entered the wilderness years. 

And yes, I did say so at the time.

I wonder how my 13-year-old self would've felt had we sold Shearer to Liverpool at the end of 2003/04. I think I'd have probably been inconsolable. :lol:

There's a pretty fair argument that he should've gone earlier but, I mean, we were achieving nowt in either of those seasons, with or without Shearer. The closest we came to anything memorable/remarkable would've been Waffa glory in 04/05, and Shearer's contribution in that competition was very significant that season (he scored in literally every round). So I don't think it held us back in anyway. Souness was the manager ffs.

We got to see the record, he got etched in stone, and I'll be able to say that I grew up watching the club's record goalscorer. S'all good imo.

4 hours ago, Beren said:

I'll gonna go for Jenas. Reckon him being Vieira mk II was debunked very early

I realised he wasn’t going to be Viera when I saw them standing next to each other in a game. Jenas was 6 inches shorter and half as wide. Turned out he was half arsed as well.

Cisse. He'd been held in much higher regard if he had left like Ba and Remy. A sharp decline and long period of abject performances unfortunately. I'd wish to remember him as the shining light that nearly sent the club to CL football in 2012. 

From the current squad: Gayle. There is no reason for him to be here; he is still here. Now he has a new contract. There is no reason for any of this. 

Said already but want to add his name again in the hope he reads this forum and it pisses him off.

Geoff Hendrick. What is the point in him? He doesn’t look like he would stand out in a team in the Russel Foster League. The way the Chronicle went on when we signed him too. Shite.

15 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Cisse. He'd been held in much higher regard if he had left like Ba and Remy. A sharp decline and long period of abject performances unfortunately. I'd wish to remember him as the shining light that nearly sent the club to CL football in 2012. 

From the current squad: Gayle. There is no reason for him to be here; he is still here. Now he has a new contract. There is no reason for any of this. 

Two good ones there. Cisse's latter three seasons were pretty much hopeless, a weird and annoying stretch of form in the first half of 2014/15 aside.

3 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

So many obvious Champo/L1 players who received too many PL games thanks to us. Shola, Big Willo, Perch, Colback. 

Remember when Roeder was starting the likes of Ramage, Huntington, the shite Saffer - all of those guys were seen too much

2 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Remember when Roeder was starting the likes of Ramage, Huntington, the shite Saffer - all of those guys were seen too much

Given

Solano - Ramage - Taylor - Huntington 

Milner - Butt - Dyer - Pattison 

Sibierski - Martins

That Spurs game. Heck of a team.

Anyone saying shearer. Give your head a wobble he doesn’t deserve to be in this thread with these nothing men

Yes he should have been phased out for sporting reasons-  but this balanced with the record makes it all worth it and he deserves to have that place in the clubs history