Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

There's a football cliche that teams near the bottom get no luck, and it was an own goal and arguably a dodgy disallowed header at home before that that sent us down the last time. Not that we didn't deserve it mind.

As we've slipped down the table this time, I can't remember many instances of Carver being unlucky. Only Tim Krul kicking it straight to Ashley Young in the 90th minute perhaps. Van Gaal was lucky to get his three points there.

With the Ayoze goal against Swansea and Riviere's against QPR, I think we've actually been really lucky in recent games. We lost both games simply because we are so dire that one gift a game is not enough. We've even had an easy run-in, which contrasts with post-Hughton Norwich who pointwise looked safe with five-six games to go but got relegated because all their fixtures were difficult ones that produced no points.

If Hull get a win and we don't, ours will be the worst relegation capitulation of all time. Whatever the opposite of "The Great Escape" is.

There's a football cliche that teams near the bottom get no luck, and it was an own goal and arguably a dodgy disallowed header at home before that that sent us down the last time. Not that we didn't deserve it mind.

As we've slipped down the table this time, I can't remember many instances of Carver being unlucky. Only Tim Krul kicking it straight to Ashley Young in the 90th minute perhaps. Van Gaal was lucky to get his three points there.

With the Ayoze goal against Swansea and Riviere's against QPR, I think we've actually been really lucky in recent games. We lost both games simply because we are so dire that one gift a game is not enough. We've even had an easy run-in, which contrasts with post-Hughton Norwich who pointwise looked safe with five-six games to go but got relegated because all their fixtures were difficult ones that produced no points.

If Hull get a win and we don't, ours will be the worst relegation capitulation of all time. Whatever the opposite of "The Great Escape" is.

We should have had around 5 nailed on penalties in the last few months which weren't given. That's not luck though, that's biased, incompetent and/or corrupt officiating.

competition right there :lol:

it's like that squires thing about the race to avoid Europe, we've basically been in a race to escape the premier league since january

We should have had around 5 nailed on penalties in the last few months which weren't given. That's not luck though, that's biased, incompetent and/or corrupt officiating.

Aye, one of them in that game against Man Utd.

I'm convinced we will be ok, I'm also hoping we stay him as I see too many negatives from going down

What positives are there to staying up?

I didn't say any positives, just less negatives If we stay up. Those who think Ashley is going to sell up if we go down are fooling themselves.

I'm convinced we will be ok, I'm also hoping we stay him as I see too many negatives from going down

I didn't say any positives, just less negatives If we stay up. Those who think Ashley is going to sell up if we go down are fooling themselves.

I don't think anyone reckons he will definitely sell up BUT that it is more likely he will do so and staying in the Premier League is canny shit as it is so relegation is worth it

I don't think anyone reckons he will definitely sell up BUT that it is more likely he will do so and staying in the Premier League is canny shit as it is so relegation is worth it

It's less likely if anything

Won't be surprised if we went down next year. We absolutely should have gone this year. Nothing about us deserves to be in the Premier League and the overall feeling  is an ominous one.

Suppose I should apologise to the people I laughed at back in February. Can't be fucked finding my quotes, can't believe I'm having to type this though :lol: Glad we didn't drop, but there's no doubt that we did deserve it.

I genuinely hate this thread like. If we would have gone down I would have put some of the blame on this jinxing horrible thread.

I blame the people who voted a 10 and said "We're doomed" and "there's no way we're staying up" for us not going down. That's the real jinx.

Anyone who says they prefer the excitement and interest of being involved in a relegation battle over finishing mid table clearly forgets the hell of being involved in a relegation battle. If the choice was mid table or relegation battle I'll take mid table every time (obviously I'd prefer it if we aimed higher than mid table).

Really happy Newcastle survived and will be present in the EPL next season. That being said, I too, will raise my hands and admit I've said some incredibly stupid stuff. Especially over the course of this horrible, horrible season.

After years and years of Mike Ashley, this season he's actually managed to drive me away from the club. I decided not to renew my EPL subscription when it expired on the 21th of may. I had to pay for another full month, so it wasn't the best deal anyway. I fear next season will be a straight relegation for Newcastle, unless a miracle happen.

• 3 months later...