Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

I can see us having to spend £20m-£30m in the Jan window to stay up.

We need to win a run of games and I can't see where that's coming from.

I actually reckon Ashley would invest this winter window due to the implications of going down and how close he came to getting his fingers burnt last season which was due, in part, to a joke of a January window.

Spend on what? We've got a bench full of attacking players McLaren won't play and we can't score goals [emoji38]

An imposing holding MF and Austin probably.

A competent LB would be nice.

He actually thinks we where good in those first 4 games though.

I think he thought the application was right in those first 4 games because he's said he was disappointed with us on the ball at Man U, for example, didn't sound like he thought we played well on the whole. Although, I can't agree with the Swansea one, as we were poor.

Right now, all I can see is relegation, I don't see 3 other teams in the division worse than us atm. Watford will be a great yardstick, if we can't beat them at home then we are not going to pick up too many points this season.

Absolutely no chance we're going down IMO, if we do then McClaren will have to prove himself to be one of the worst managers in Premier League history.

Think you're in for a big shock - we are in deep s*** already and there is no way  in hell it's going to change with this manager. Any team who can't keep clean sheets and can't score is in serious trouble and boy are we not.

:lol: We're 5 games into the season, we've played Man U away, Southampton and Arsenal at home and did pretty well in all those games. Calm the f*** down.

Exactly :lol:

This was my thinking basically. I was quite positive before West Ham, so I'm trying to remember that. We were unusually shit in that game but I don't think it means we're finished.

Obviously we need to start picking up points ASAP.

West Ham was disappointing. I was expecting more of a fight from us given the way we battled against Arsenal & Man U. We can't just do it against the sides at the top. The first half wasn't too bad, Janmaat really should've scored and 1-1 at HT would've been interesting but I was so disappointed in our lack of application in the second half.

Way too early to jump to conclusions still, but, yeah, if we lose to Watford at home and fail to score again I will be getting a little worried tbh.

Right now, all I can see is relegation, I don't see 3 other teams in the division worse than us atm. Watford will be a great yardstick, if we can't beat them at home then we are not going to pick up too many points this season.

Form changes loads over the course of a season. You can't say after 5 games which team is going to go down unless they look totally out of their depth

Absolutely no chance we're going down IMO, if we do then McClaren will have to prove himself to be one of the worst managers in Premier League history.

Think you're in for a big shock - we are in deep s*** already and there is no way  in hell it's going to change with this manager. Any team who can't keep clean sheets and can't score is in serious trouble and boy are we not.

:lol: We're 5 games into the season, we've played Man U away, Southampton and Arsenal at home and did pretty well in all those games. Calm the f*** down.

This was my thinking basically. I was quite positive before West Ham, so I'm trying to remember that. We were unusually s*** in that game but I don't think it means we're finished.

And that's the problem, knowing us we'll probably only draw against Watford, that may keep us at the bottom of the league, certainly still in the bottom 3, then we have Man city and Chelsea. Clearly from the early evidence McClaren won't have us set up to go for a win there, Chelsea will have turned their form around we'll be more than happy to assist them I'm sure. So after 8 games we'll still be looking for that first win on 3 points at the foot of the table. Norwich, mackems, Stoke, Bournemouth and Leicester up next, all games we would expect to pick up something from but now we are rooted at the bottom of the league those games become so much harder.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen the table, and believe me, after the last four years I can easily identify a side destined to tickle the gusset of relegation, if not actually plunge into it, but I really don't think you can tell anything after so few games.

There are teams who have looked better than expected so far, and there are others that have looked worse, it needs at least nother month to start to get an idea how things might pan out.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen the table, and believe me, after the last four years I can easily identify a side destined to tickle the gusset of relegation, if not actually plunge into it, but I really don't think you can tell anything after so few games.

There are teams who have looked better than expected so far, and there are others that have looked worse, it needs at least nother month to start to get an idea how things might pan out.

Oh I agree it's way too early, but after the first 5 games, the only team I think that's looked as bad as us is Sunderland, and that's based on their first couple of games, even they've improved since then. We haven't. We've defended well against Manure and Arsenal, had a decent first 75 mins against Southampton but from an offensive point of view, we've shown nothing most of the season. We aren't going to win many matches if we can't sort that out.

The promoted teams this year seem to be a bit more prepared to survive, none of them look like locks to go down, that puts more pressure on the teams that narrowly escaped last year, namely us, the Mackems and your team.  I haven't seen a lot of Villa this year but when I've seen them, there seems to be an energy about their play, there might be problems defensively there, I don't know and looks like luck has been in short supply, but from the outside it appears that there is reason for hope. The Mackems chance for survival for me is reliant on whether M'Villa and Lens can reshape that team and whether  Defoe keeps banging them in.

Maybe it's my natural toon pessimism, but I just don't see any signs that we can settle down and things start becoming a bit more positive. We are short by at least 3 key positions in my mind, we have a horribly unbalanced line up that is built with the sole purpose not to lose (which with the exception of Manure, we are not very good at). I don't think we have that adaptability within the squad to change when we play the weaker teams in the division to get the points we will need. Watford again for us is the key test, McClaren needs to pick a team to win that game if he continues with his current line up, then we are f***ed !!

This was my thinking basically. I was quite positive before West Ham, so I'm trying to remember that. We were unusually s*** in that game but I don't think it means we're finished.

We've been shit in all our games going forward except day 1.

The weaker teams in the division have better talent than ever before.

This is why I wasn't happy with our summer transfer work. Last seasons squad was awful. Awful. I thought Pardew would take us down with it. In the end, winning 6 on the trot at one point kept us up. IN the other 32 games we put together what... 21 points? Ayoze being awesome and Cisse hitting a purple patch kept us up.

We made some decent signings this season but so did everyone else we wanted to compete with and we still have an unbalanced squad. I strongly doubt we'll get relegated but SMC will have to buck up his ideas. fast.

Maybe it's my natural toon pessimism

The natural pessimism of the (non CL monied) football fan, I reckon.

:snod:

Think you're bang on for the PL clubs Brummie.

The whole acceptance of the 'also ran' status has most lads I talk to from other clubs feeling much the same as we voice on here. one step away from a poor season and a relegation battle. Glasses much more half empty than full.

My Boro supporting mate on the other hand is cockahoop with footy at the moment and to be honest I'm getting loads of fun and enjoyment from going to watch Stenny.

Just watching a more even matched, levelish kind of playing field is refreshing. Plus the way less hype and utter media guff that surrounds it as well.

That's why I hope we give the cups a real go this season. Imagine actually competing in something again.

Maybe it's my natural toon pessimism

The natural pessimism of the (non CL monied) football fan, I reckon.

:snod:

Think you're bang on for the PL clubs Brummie.

The whole acceptance of the 'also ran' status has most lads I talk to from other clubs feeling much the same as we voice on here. one step away from a poor season and a relegation battle. Glasses much more half empty than full.

My Boro supporting mate on the other hand is cockahoop with footy at the moment and to be honest I'm getting loads of fun and enjoyment from going to watch Stenny.

Just watching a more even matched, levelish kind of playing field is refreshing. Plus the way less hype and utter media guff that surrounds it as well.

That's why I hope we give the cups a real go this season. Imagine actually competing in something again.

Starting the season with the knowledge that it is an impossibility to win your league, when you support a club which has a bit of history of doing well, like you, us, Everton, I honestly think that is the most dispiriting thing of all.

Newly promoted fans -> Yay! We're in the top flight, isn't it amazing (Watford, Bournemouth etc)

Champions league fans -> Yay! Midweek matches against your Juventuses or your Real Madrids.

Recently established top flight teams -> Yay! We're midway in the table, that's about as good as it has been for years.

Us, you, Everton, Spurs maybe -> No chance of winning the league any more. Not much yay there.

In some ways it reduces watching football to something like watching share prices, as the extra emotional part of football gradually gets squeezed out year after year.

I'm going to our league cup match on Tuesday and it'll be about the third or fourth game I've been to in the last three years. Before that I was a season ticket holder for years and years. It is surprising how easily the hope and aspiration side of football slip away.