Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Ultimately it comes down to character regardless of nationality but I also think it is about educating and encouraging the players to engage with the football club and the local area regardless of whether they are English or foreign.  The have been sold the club as a stepping stone and see themselves as passing through.  Why should they care about the football club and their teammates if they don't think they will be around for very long?  Do any of them do anything other than go to the football ground, training ground, the airport and a few shops?  Any time off, and they are on a plane back home.  They live in a cocooned world and rarely engage with fans - the life of the modern footballer seems to be VIP lounges and personnel on tap to do the simplest of tasks for them.

Look at how often players like Albert, Dabizas, Solano and Tino come back to name a few.  All foreign lads?  A more recent example would be Jonas.  All bought into the club and the area and made friends here.  OK we were a relatively successful club most of the time but other foreign lads have been here when we were less successful and still retain an affection for the club.

How many of the current lot, once they leave, will come back to visit the city.  Very few, if any.

This is true. Nationality is irrelevant. Kone and Kaboul, alongside Cattermole, have been our most passionate players this season and ended up being one of the reasons why we stayed up.

Do Sunderland have any Mackems playing? Its about getting the right characters in, regardless of where they're from

Well yes, but I'm not saying we should necessarily have a geordie spine. The game today (in most clubs' cases), and more so our club can't do that anymore. There just aren't enough out there that would cut it. I'd easily settle for eleven foreign players if they were of the right character, but it seems that every successful team still has at least a British spine, bar Man City (though they do have Hart at least). They're almost at a point of needing to rebuild though so it should be interesting to see if they look to bring more in.

Ultimately it comes down to character regardless of nationality but I also think it is about educating and encouraging the players to engage with the football club and the local area regardless of whether they are English or foreign.  The have been sold the club as a stepping stone and see themselves as passing through.  Why should they care about the football club and their teammates if they don't think they will be around for very long?  Do any of them do anything other than go to the football ground, training ground, the airport and a few shops?  Any time off, and they are on a plane back home.  They live in a cocooned world and rarely engage with fans - the life of the modern footballer seems to be VIP lounges and personnel on tap to do the simplest of tasks for them.

Look at how often players like Albert, Dabizas, Solano and Tino come back to name a few.  All foreign lads?  A more recent example would be Jonas.  All bought into the club and the area and made friends here.  OK we were a relatively successful club most of the time but other foreign lads have been here when we were less successful and still retain an affection for the club.

How many of the current lot, once they leave, will come back to visit the city.  Very few, if any.

had this conversation, or one like it, yesterday - fact is that with this bunch of disinterested arseholes had we had benitez in for say 19 games we'd have stayed up comfortably imo and that's without a consistent goalscorer and one of the worst collection of defenders in the division

if the last 5 years alone have taught us anything it should not be that buying foreign players en mass is a bad strategy, it's that employing shit managers is

What are everyone's predictions?

AWAY: 8 2 points

Everton L

Chelsea L

Stoke D L

Leicester L

Norwich W L

Southampton D L

Liverpool L D

Villa W D

HOME: 13 14 points

West  Brom W

Man City D

Bournemouth W L

Makems W D

Swansea W

Palace L W

Spurs L W

21 16 points

Thought I'd look back at January predictions. We took 1 point more than I expected at home, and 6 points less away. So 5 points less than the 21 points (from 45 then available) which I thought would keep us safe. 42 points would have indeed been enough, obviously, especially as we would have had three from Bournemouth and an additional two from Sunderland.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The rest of the league isn't awash with quality, and on the showings so far no fucker can defend so as long as we remain organised and bring in someone to relieve the pressure on Gayle we'll be ok.

We tended, last season, to do better when up against the better sides, so hope this will continue to be the case.