Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Others may disagree, but I think that is an excellent letter, and (at last) someone has stopped "pussyfooting around" these EPL London and Top Six obsessed ("we are invulnerable") types.

He will need to follow it up with the actual legal action of course, and if he needs financial assistance to do so, I'm sure that we and/or NUST, will be able to help him.

I really enjoyed reading that letter !!

Guest neesy111

It read unprofessional and a tad childish to me.

It's an articulated rant, will have no effect at all.

Definitive answer by next week. Still positive signs coming from EPL, as in communication is still flowing.

Ties in with mandys statement imo.

How?

She gave absolutely nothing away and that seemed to imply that "something" was still going on in the background. If she had said something along the lines of "we are still going to try our best" it would indicate to me that discussions with the PL are not currently ongoing. What rocker has said there confirms to me that AS doesn't want to say the wrong thing and piss off the PL while they are in discussion.

Guest neesy111

Definitive answer by next week. Still positive signs coming from EPL, as in communication is still flowing.

Ties in with mandys statement imo.

How?

She gave absolutely nothing away and that seemed to imply that "something" was still going on in the background. If she had said something along the lines of "we are still going to try our best" it would indicate to me that discussions with the PL are not currently ongoing. What rocker has said there confirms to me that AS doesn't want to say the wrong thing and piss off the PL while they are in discussion.

Yeah, I agree with that.  Think the Comms and PR was calculated from them in the aftermath of the statement they released.

Why do folk think Staveley has asked us to do this? As in, what do we think her strategy is? (if there is one).

Do we really think the PL will approve the deal because of fan and MP pressure?

My theory is (and this is based on the square root of fuck all other than gut feeling) that they hope to ratchet the pressure up on the PL. The PL see the letters from MPs, columns from serious journalists pointing out how flawed the process has been, dissussions surrounding an independent body to apply the O&D tests etc etc and realise it's not going to jusy blow over and they need to engage with this properly and stop taking the piss.

Once that has happened I'm hoping that Staveley will have something up her sleeve, ideally in the form of another concession from the Saudis, that will allow the PL to approve the deal but also save face at the same time. I can't see that it's going to get approved without an olive branch of some sort from the consortium.

On the other hand it appears the PL will do anything to drag it on as opposed to rejecting and having to defend their decision on appeal. So either way the alternative of sitting doing nothing needs to be made as unpalatable as possible.

Reinstate beIN’s licence in SA, let them prosecute someone in SA for the past piracy and push like hell for the PL to make a decision.

If the PL don’t take this opportunity to get new money into the PL and also make a huge step forward with stopping piracy then I guess everyone should be able to see that this failed for reasons other than the O&D test. One big unknown is how much beIN would be looking for in compensation; that could be a deal breaker.

Why do folk think Staveley has asked us to do this? As in, what do we think her strategy is? (if there is one).

Do we really think the PL will approve the deal because of fan and MP pressure?

My theory is (and this is based on the square root of fuck all other than gut feeling) that they hope to ratchet the pressure up on the PL. The PL see the letters from MPs, columns from serious journalists pointing out how flawed the process has been, dissussions surrounding an independent body to apply the O&D tests etc etc and realise it's not going to jusy blow over and they need to engage with this properly and stop taking the piss.

Aye. Assuming the consortium really are scheming away, and assuming the PL's conduct really is questionable, I can't see how it's anything other than what you've described.

I think it's clear that, in terms of the O&D Test, our incumbent owners do actually meet the requirements in order to complete the transition. However, that isn't the outcome the PL's broadcast partner or many of its member clubs want, so it's abused its own process to engineer an outcome to satisfy those parties. Newcastle United and the interests of its fans is expendable in that scenario (shock).

What the PL may not have banked on is legitimate and continuing pressure for their processes to be scrutinised, and therefore their chicanery to be exposed. So, if they're backed into a corner, they may have no choice but to approve the sale in line with their processes or, refuse and then lose on appeal. At least that way they could pacify their dissenting partners by proving that they tried to protect their interests. They may even be in on the whole charade!

Exactly my thoughts too, this is about making it as uncomfortable as possible for the PL to continue delaying a decision.

It's also telling that the costs of the PL's indecision have been very clearly set out e.g. the details of the deposit conditions, the statements from Newcastle City Council (who would be bound by confidentiality so must have had agreement / encouragement) and Newcastle Racecourse about millions of pounds in investments tied to the deal.

It's all about ramping up pressure on the PL to actually make a decision, whether that be positive or negative (I imagine that they're confident of winning an appeal if it's the latter).

Others may disagree, but I think that is an excellent letter, and (at last) someone has stopped "pussyfooting around" these EPL London and Top Six obsessed ("we are invulnerable") types.

He will need to follow it up with the actual legal action of course, and if he needs financial assistance to do so, I'm sure that we and/or NUST, will be able to help him.

Never make a threat you won't follow up.  If they do, great, if they don't then......

Never make a threat you won't follow up.  If they do, great, if they don't then......

And if you are going to threaten legal action, get some legal advice first or at very least have a look at the guidance on how to go about doing it.

Guest ClintonBaptiste

If Gordon B Stein actually exists and has owned companies quoted on the SE surely a quick google would verify his existence ? Can't find anything

Can't believe people are slagging him off and taking the piss.

He's doing something, however fruitless it may seem to you.

Get fucked.

I agree to a certain extent, but I also think it's worth us all putting our efforts into something meaningful. I've personally found it very cathartic replying to @premierleague posts on Twitter, but it's really just making me feel better and venting. It won't change anything. I'm afraid this letter is a bit like that. I won't say it's childish, or wrong even, but it doesn't lay down the groundwork for a meaningful legal battle with the EPL. It should mention the grounds for litigation at least, rather than just threatening it, i.e. what law has been broken? @redrosemichelle seems to have put forward something more substantive and closer to something in legalese. That said, more power to Gordon and good on him for having a go. I can completely understand anyone that's furious/depressed/despondent at the situation. I also don't want any fellow NUFC fans wasting their time screaming into the void as a lone voice, or potentially getting themselves into trouble (on grounds of liable or harassment).

It's another reason that I think we need further clarity from the consortium. Ms Staveley, PCP et al have unleashed the kraken on the EPL - and we're currently fighting a fight for them - but the latest statement essentially amounted to "thanks, it means a lot". We need clarification that there is something beyond just a (hopefully) moral victory at the end of it, and that our ferocity is equalled by their own. Its another reason why the NUST are more important than ever.