Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

It's amazing that a parody account of Mike Ashley has emerged as one of the leaders of the revolution :lol:

It's amazing that all this debate could just go away if PL had any bottle and made a simple 1 line statement

It's important for people to know how commercial & civil court cases work - commercial & civil law is as much about bullying the opponent as it is about whether or not you could win a court case.  The reason for this is as a way to get leverage over the opponent, to bring them to the negotiation table and to get them to be willing to compromise.

The purpose of Mike Ashley or the buyers threatening legal action against the Premier League would not be about getting the court to order the Premier League to overturn any decision the League has (or has not) made (the court likely couldn't do this).  Any court case would be about obtaining a ruling for compensation for losses/earnings incurred due to the decision the Premier League has made (where a decision to not act is also an active decision by the League).  In this context losses (or lost earnings) would include costs incurred during the deal negotiation, lost potential profits, and/or the appreciation/depreciation of assets caused by that decision/action/inaction - in other words a HUGE amount of money.

Now, it is not necessary to actually prosecute such a case in court, as it is often enough for the party(ies) threatening legal action to convince their opponent that should it go to court they would lose and would face a substantial financial penalty.  In the case of Ashley and/or the buyers it would be to convince the Premier League that should the Premier League lose the case they are likely to have a substantial penalty awarded against them (e.g. £300m of lost revenue by Mike Ashley, or the difference between that and any new valuation of the club; £17m lost deposit by the buying consortium; legal costs of running such a case; etc).

If the Premier League could be convinced that they are facing such a large financial penalty then they might be convinced to be more compromising - i.e. the intent of threatening legal action would be to convince the Premier League that if they do not approve the takeover then they face the prospect of a lengthy, expensive court case, and they face the prospect of a massive ruling against them that could devastate the financial viability of the league (could the League afford a court case costing them up to £500m?)  If the League is convinced that this outcome is even moderately likely then the League is more likely to engage properly with the buyers & seller to see the deal approved and completed.

This is, in my opinion, why Staveley has asked fans to get involved - the idea is to show the Premier League that should the case end up in court there is a substantial chance the League could lose and that the court would receive substantial support from the public in ruling against the League (courts are sensitive to public opinion too).

So, all of this (the public campaigning, the threats of legal action, etc) is about mounting substantial pressure on the Premier League to convince them that should they persist as they have and/or formally reject the takeover then they face the prospect of financial destruction at the hands of the courts.

It's a compelling argument, but NUFC is one club, the PL will have the backing of most of the other clubs in the Premier to stand firm against a takeover, not to mention BeIN sports who might threaten legal action from their own side if PIF gets the nod.

Pl's partners are getting battered on social media and on review sites such as Trustpilot etc :lol: :lol: :lol:.

The Money Mike Account coordinating it brilliantly. Whoever is behind that account is a total legend.

Pretty sure it’s a Mackem that runs that twitter account

It's Dave[/member] surely?

Pl's partners are getting battered on social media and on review sites such as Trustpilot etc :lol: :lol: :lol:.

The Money Mike Account coordinating it brilliantly. Whoever is behind that account is a total legend.

Pretty sure it’s a Mackem that runs that twitter account

It's Dave[/member] surely?

No chance. He is anti KSA involvement in the takeover. Money Mike is completely pro.

Will be interesting to see if they bring this up in conversation.

Married in to Hexham aristocracy and has a couple of properties up here, and a massive Toon fan apparently. This is ON.

Married in Hexham and has a couple of properties up here, and a massive Toon fan apparently. This is ON.

Piss off, Luke, there's a good boy.

Next up would be legal battles, not sure I have it in me to keep caring that long though.

It's the legal battles where I feel you may be misleading yourself.

I think we all want to believe that if it gets rejected, PIF will spend millions taking them to the cleaners but i've yet to hear anyone put forward anything that suggests that they'd have any kind of strong case, if any case at all.

I think someone yesterday suggested only MA would have a legal angle, if he felt compelled to go down that route. Whether that's right I don't know but in basic terms, if feels like if it gets rejected because of the PL's own test, rather any kind of UK law, then they'll be able to back that up.

I just don't see this going legal.

I may be completely wrong but I would imagine that the matter falls under the remit of contract law. The O&D test unequivocally states that confirmation will be given within five working days, the PL is in breach of that element of the rules and that has caused the consortium to lose its £17m deposit (which would have been refunded if the PL had issued a refusal).

So if it does go to court it will be so they can get the deposit/damages/costs back. Can't see it forcing them to approve

I don't think it would be within the remit of a an English court to influence the actual decision (it would possibly be within the remit of the Court of Arbitration for Sport though).

But, from my point of view, this is more about speculation of what might be going on behind the scenes and the pressure that might be put on the PL to make a decision. I think if it does get as far as legal action that would probably mean the deal is dead, because it could go on for years.

Agreed. As Dokko also said, if there was some legal angle that could taken, I don't know how many of us would have the emotional energy to wait for that to end. The last 18 weeks have been bad enough.

IDK how or where this ends, but if it goes beyond this week then its probably going on without my investment. I know you cannot see legal action, i just cannot see how it doesn't end up in the courts somewhere down the line.

To contest:

* £17m deposit (if true the PL encouraged the bid early doors, before interference from Bein. If there is any evidence of that, the PL will be paying that £17m back to the bidders + legal fees)

* Ashley unable to sell an asset (restriction of trade has been mentioned, no idea if valid, but sounds like there's something in it)

* Devaluation of asset (Can't sell it to specific people, therefore the value plummets. Only a certain % can afford a club and to run it, the pool isn't huge to begin with)

* Sporting competition/fair playing field (Dice is loaded in favour of the big 6, meaning this is no longer a fair competition. Surely has impact on gambling in PL games with interference from the body keeping the big 6 better than the rest)

* Time, money and effort gone in to bid and test (Millions will have been spent getting this bid together and going through the test. If they aren't allowed to pass due to other clubs interference then this is money they could possibly as back in a legal case)

From what i gather the £17m alone could bankrupt the league. Ashley could claim his asset is £100m worse off now and has to drop the price to that to sell it. Probably another £10m or so on putting the bid together. All this is money i'd be looking at claiming back once it goes tits up, and they will, even if its years down the line.

That's a very fair post Dokko[/member] and your opening line sums it up perfectly well. Where this ends is anybody's guess.

:thup:

Married in to Hexham aristocracy and has a couple of properties up here, and a massive Toon fan apparently. This is ON.

You still never responded to my genuine attempt to engage in a conversation Penn[/member]

Why do you think that the PL never rejected the takeover ?

You still never responded to my genuine attempt to engage in a conversation Penn[/member]

He answered on Twitter - he feels that the PL still need to explain why, but the fans need to stop putting spin on it.

Is taunting the membership not a criminal offence🤔

Yep he has skirted my attempts several times now.

How are we being played in ways that we cannot comprehend.

Please elaborate?

I think we kind of know why, they arecaught between a very big rock and an equally big hard place.  They don't want to approve because there will be ramifications from Qatar and they don't want to refuse because any explanation will not stand up in court.

Craven behaviour of the highest order

Please elaborate?

Seems to me that it's possible we are just an instrument in a more far-reaching game, that we know nothing about.

So this Saudi Ambassador’s wife is the niece of the Duke of Northumberland and her dad owns Beaufront Castle. Wew.

Saudi takeover means investment in North East, means more tourism and means Alnwick Garden and Castle will be rammo in the main room. This lad will want the deal done to keep his own family and his lasses family sweet.

Let’s call him Prince Canny bin Radge bin Toonarmy al-Geordie

You'd imagine if/when its rejected they'll have an appeal, if that comes to nothing that will be that.

I'm really not convinced that it hasn't already finished as soon as the announcement was made that PIF were withdrawing. I know people have claimed that they didn't submit a special form to the PL to tell them, so it's still ongoing, but I don't believe that for one minute.

The only thing I'm clutching to is the fact that the PL haven't put any form of statement out yet, but I reckon that's coming.

This, I feel it's over too.

People are assuming/guessing/twisting anything to keep that slight bit of hope alive, but it hasn't looked likely since the beginning of June (unless you took what Caulkin said as gospel).

I also feel the fact Staveley hasn't presented any legal basis as to why the PL decision (of lack thereof) is unfair is telling.

Please elaborate?

He's a loner with nothing else to do. Ignore him.

Oh my sides..

Source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_bin_Bandar_bin_Sultan_Al_Saud

Personal life

Khalid dated and lived with Vanessa Trump from 1998 to 2001.[7] They intended to marry, but broke up after September 11 attacks when he left the U.S. after his father was suspected of having indirect ties to the hijackers.[8]

In Oxford in March 2011, Khalid married Lucy Caroline Cuthbert (b. 1982), daughter of John Aidan Cuthbert, of Beaufront Castle, Hexham, Northumberland, and Lady Victoria Lucy Diana (daughter of Hugh Percy, 10th Duke of Northumberland),[9] and thus niece of Ralph Percy, 12th Duke of Northumberland, at a ceremony attended by a handful of guests.[10][11]

Talking about the being a "massive toon fan" bit.