Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Do we have any direct quotes saying that they won't buy if we get relegated?

The money it takes to get back up is what Liverpool would spend on a goalie. From PIFs perspective, surely it'd be a minor inconvenience.

Quicker to just buy Leeds.

Except Leeds don't offer the same package, nowhere near.  Not this year or any other year.

Delusional. What do NUFC have that Leeds cannot offer?

Leeds have never averaged over 40k in their history. Until the 70’s they were a nothing club.

In short they’ll never be as big as NUFC.

Sorry but that is simply nonsense. Biggest club in Yorkshire, in a thriving & cosmopolitan city, with a history of winning trophies in the living memory of most people. Attendences count for nothing, especially since Leeds are hardly Wimbledon...they still have attracted pretty large crowds in all the time I have followed the game. At this rate they will be a bigger club than us in 5 months time, never mind never at all.

Leeds are a club just waiting to take off. And if the Saudis or Qataris buy them & make them even remotely like Man City they will attract 50k crowds easily.

We already attract 50k crowds. In the championship too.

And? 

There seems to be a thought process going on here that, just because NUFC have more potential than Leeds, that somehow Leeds won't be a very attractive proposition to Saudi. Absolute delusion I'm afraid.

Well the Saudis are interested in us, and not giving up easily, and haven't went for Leeds.  Surely that stands for something?

There's something in the fact that Staveley has clearly sold NUFC to them and not Leeds, as she realises what it could be, the idea that they'll just jump ship and buy instead is just pure speculation, regardless how much you keep saying people are deluded.

It could be the NE property developers who have a preference for ourselves. Not that PIF need them, of course, but you can certainly see why NUFC is popular give the current consortium. If the Saudis want to buy any other club I'm sure they can.

The money it takes to get back up is what Liverpool would spend on a goalie. From PIFs perspective, surely it'd be a minor inconvenience.

Except Leeds don't offer the same package, nowhere near.  Not this year or any other year.

Leeds have never averaged over 40k in their history. Until the 70’s they were a nothing club.

Sorry but that is simply nonsense. Biggest club in Yorkshire, in a thriving & cosmopolitan city, with a history of winning trophies in the living memory of most people. Attendences count for nothing, especially since Leeds are hardly Wimbledon...they still have attracted pretty large crowds in all the time I have followed the game. At this rate they will be a bigger club than us in 5 months time, never mind never at all.

Leeds are a club just waiting to take off. And if the Saudis or Qataris buy them & make them even remotely like Man City they will attract 50k crowds easily.

It’s not a football mad city like Newcastle, and Rugby League is massive there.

I’m not saying there not a big club and have a raucous support on their day, I’d put them on a par with City with the advantage of being a 1 club city.

We on the other hand with Saudi backing could be as big as they come. If they get it right you’re talking 65k plus regularly, and I think I’m being conservative.

Even under their purple patch with Wilkinson and O’Leary there was regularly empty seats at Elland Road. That simply would not have happened here with their level of success.

Yeah but you are just reaffirming my point, that the main thing that NUFC have over Leeds is potential. Yes, we could be a monster club akin to Man Utd & Liverpool under Saudi and Leeds would "only" be like City. But thats not an unattractive second option for the Saudis should it happen.

My point is that the post earlier on insinuated that Leeds do not have the potential to be a very big club, which is clearly false.

Leeds also have the advantage of having a stadium that has vast space around it available for expansion, which we dont. Its also right next to a motorway and so is easily accessable.

I think the fact the Leeds is a rugby city also helps them I'm afraid as it makes the place less of a goldfish bowl compared to Newcastle.

The main draw of NUFC is that we could be a club that could attract 80k crowds and also attract the same kind of hype as Man Utd & Pool. We know that because we saw it happen in the 90s. But we still have the problem of being stuck in an unfinished stadium that cannot be expanded. That's a huge issue IMO and one that will seriously compromise the club's potential.

Harry Saratov :lol:

Why would this fella know anything??

I have a theory that Harry heard what we already know; that PIF and Mandy are busting a nut to get this done and Mike Ashley’s enlisted the help of De Marco. Then some people at barrister’s chambers went, “Nick De Marco!? Faackin’ ‘ell, he’s the top geezer innit. I fought it was off but sounds like they’re gonna faackin’ rolling in it.” And then Harry took to twitter not knowing the nature of our fanbase.

Tbf why not? There's just as much chance of it being bollocks as there is him knowing something.

People believe MMA after all  :lol:

No harm in being open minded about it imo.

I mean I understand what you are arguing here.

But if the Saudis can't buy us, then they can't buy Leeds either.

I'm making my points under the assumption that we finally get the green light from the PL, only for the Saudis to pull out because we got relegated. And then look at Leeds.

Bigger stadium, consistently bigger crowds.

Leeds have realised their potential a couple of times in my lifetime, NUFC came close a couple of times and were huge, but still hasn't fully happened since the Edwardian era.

NUFC have more potential than Leeds and that's all. Means fuck all if we never realise that potential though. If Leeds get oil money they could be exactly like City.

Read my post, Leeds have already realised theirs twice in my lifetime but weren't anywhere near as big as we were under Keegan. Newcastle is much more of a footballi city in my opinion.

And? 

There seems to be a thought process going on here that, just because NUFC have more potential than Leeds, that somehow Leeds won't be a very attractive proposition to Saudi. Absolute delusion I'm afraid.

Who actually said that?

I know I’m going against my own argument here but I’m not convinced we could attract 80k at all

We definitely could with the right stadium and went on a succesful run of winning trophies. If we were to establish ourselves like Pool & Man Utd and had an 80k stadium it would be full, got no doubt about that.

I’m not saying there not a big club and have a raucous support on their day, I’d put them on a par with City with the advantage of being a 1 club city.

We on the other hand with Saudi backing could be as big as they come. If they get it right you’re talking 65k plus regularly, and I think I’m being conservative.

Even under their purple patch with Wilkinson and O’Leary there was regularly empty seats at Elland Road. That simply would not have happened here with their level of success.

Yeah but you are just reaffirming my point, that the main thing that NUFC have over Leeds is potential. Yes, we could be a monster club akin to Man Utd & Liverpool under Saudi and Leeds would "only" be like City. But thats not an unattractive second option for the Saudis should it happen.

My point is that the post earlier on insinuated that Leeds do not have the potential to be a very big club, which is clearly false.

Leeds also have the advantage of having a stadium that has vast space around it available for expansion, which we dont. Its also right next to a motorway and so is easily accessable.

I think the fact the Leeds is a rugby city also helps them I'm afraid as it makes the place less of a goldfish bowl compared to Newcastle.

The main draw of NUFC is that we could be a club that could attract 80k crowds and also attract the same kind of hype as Man Utd & Pool. We know that because we saw it happen in the 90s. But we still have the problem of being stuck in an unfinished stadium that cannot be expanded. That's a huge issue IMO and one that will seriously compromise the club's potential.

Leeds clearly are attractive to potential buyers, I certainly don’t dispute that. But I think Staveley and co see the uniqueness and potential of NUFC.

If you look at City now they’ve probably maxed out on support, that unknown factor of how big we could actually be has clearly captured this consortiums imagination.

The stadium issue could easily be addressed with the Saudis wealth, whether this involved staying at St Jame’s or not.

Go to "positive optimism" thread and read pages 53-55, there's a whole discussion on why he might have info.......

Basically Saying that "His feed doesn't come across as your typical WUM" and living in London he may have connections with Law companies.....Brightens up the afternoon reading anyway.

Bigger stadium, consistently bigger crowds.

Leeds have realised their potential a couple of times in my lifetime, NUFC came close a couple of times and were huge, but still hasn't fully happened since the Edwardian era.

NUFC have more potential than Leeds and that's all. Means fuck all if we never realise that potential though. If Leeds get oil money they could be exactly like City.

Read my post, Leeds have already realised theirs twice in my lifetime but weren't anywhere near as big as we were under Keegan in my opinion. Newcastle is much more of a footballi city in my opinion.

They won the league in 1992 before the Prem exploded, when crowds were down across the board so you cant use that as an example. Even the early 2000s under O'Leary was a different time and era to now. I'd hardly say winning the league once and a few exciting Champions League games is "realising their potential" either.

I've already said that Newcastle is more of a football city and the club has more potential. It's not relevant to how Saudi would look at the purchase of Leeds though.

And? 

Who actually said that?

Teasy said a few pages back... "Leeds don't offer the same package, nowhere near.  Not this year or any other year." To me that insinuated that Leeds are a far less atttractive proposition than NUFC, which simply isnt true.

Leeds clearly are attractive to potential buyers, I certainly don’t dispute that. But I think Staveley and co see the uniqueness and potential of NUFC.

If you look at City now they’ve probably maxed out on support, that unknown factor of how big we could actually be has clearly captured this consortiums imagination.

The stadium issue could easily be addressed with the Saudis wealth, whether this involved staying at St Jame’s or not.

I'm on the same page as you here. I'm just saying that Leeds as a second best option is still not a bad one at all. If the nightmare scenario happens and we drop then it has every chance of happening too. Which is why there needs to be concrete movement on the takeover and Bruce's position before the end of the month.