Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Phillips and Rice maybe but not the defence surely. The first choice defence I assume is James (Chelsea, CL winner), Maguire (Man United), Stones (City, league winner, team of the year), Shaw (Man United, team of the year).

Well Phillips and Rice have been our starting CM’s so far. Then there’s Mings, and Pickford is a mediocre midtable GK. That’s a big chunk of the spine of the team. Even the players at ESL clubs like Stones and Maguire aren’t going to knock anyone’s socks off, I doubt anyone outside of their own fan bases considers them top class. Outside of some exciting attacking players it’s not that impressive for a side that is supposed to be one of the favourites. If we were going to use the vague world class label, there’s only really Kane that has proven that in my eyes, and he’s playing like an old man.

Aye, inclined to think the same, despite thinking he's well worth his spot in the team. Even though there's an obvious clamour to start Grealish in his place, I'd like to see Sancho/Foden/Sterling behind Kane. Think that's probably our most balanced attack, with everybody in their best position.

43 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Well Phillips and Rice have been our starting CM’s so far. Then there’s Mings, and Pickford is a mediocre midtable GK. That’s a big chunk of the spine of the team. Even the players at ESL clubs like Stones and Maguire aren’t going to knock anyone’s socks off, I doubt anyone outside of their own fan bases considers them top class. Outside of some exciting attacking players it’s not that impressive for a side that is supposed to be one of the favourites. If we were going to use the vague world class label, there’s only really Kane that has proven that in my eyes, and he’s playing like an old man.

controversial I know but I think pickford is a very good keeper

7 minutes ago, tgarve said:

he’s the Mackem Barthez. Could win you the World Cup one tournament and then let one through his legs the next.

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

On paper our team is top heavy, I expect fans from other countries look at our defence and midfield and don’t know who some of them are. The same way that people are looking at the Spanish and Dutch teams now and are unimpressed by the names.

We're England. We're gonna score one more goal than EU nations. England! 

Edited by TBG

23 hours ago, Anderson said:

Aye, does my head in the amount of short-sightedness from pundits claiming "England should look to finish 2nd". Playing second from that group at home is obviously preferable to playing top away in Russia.

Case in point, dense cunt...

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Not your greatest post I have to say.

1 hour ago, Bizza said:

Why do they have to isolate but not the rest of the Scotland squad who will have had much more prolonged contact with him?

apparently its due to a long chat they had in the tunnel post match, now I find it personally impossible there was no close contact whatsoever with anyone else in the Scottish camp so really odd. Suppose it will all become clear if theres further positives from them as it goes on (assuming they get through) 

21 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Not your greatest post I have to say.

I'm not just shitting on the team. I rate some of them really highly, Foden is fantastic and Mount is very good. Grealish is very good (although people have gone overboard in the last few weeks), and I think we have really good fullbacks. That said, I'm not sure many of them have much of a reputation outside of England. We're looking at other countries teams and there are comments about a lack of star names, and I just expect we're seen in a similar way abroad.

48 minutes ago, tgarve said:

When he's focused, yeah I'd agree. And he looks focused now. He seems to deal with the pressure of international football well. 

10 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I like Grealish as much as the next person but the clamour for a player who is 25 and has never played a European club game I just find really strange.

I think him being the only good thing about the Romania game is kinda what's elevated the clamour. Anyway, we'll get to see more won't we, and thankfully he's not in a wide position. 

Starting to get proper up for it, longing for the end of the day now. 

Pleased Maguire is available but Saka on the right just seems like a pointless and unnecessary square peg. Sancho will be dying for a move to ManU or whoever if this has been anything to go by so far. 

Saka is class like. Proper love watching him. 

Could make a more than reasonable argument for him carrying Arsenal this season and for being one of the most exciting players in the league albeit to have him ahead of Sancho would be slightly odd.

Just now, Disco said:

Saka is class like. Could make a more than reasonable argument for him carrying Arsenal this season and for being one of the most exciting players in the league albeit to have him ahead of Sancho would be slightly odd.

Fair enough, I haven't seen enough of him I must admit. But I'm struggling to get my head around Sancho not featuring so far. And Foden being dropped would also be disappointing. 

Just want to see an exciting performance tonight given all of the attacking talent we have available, both games so far have been pretty boring and there's no excuse for that. 

38 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I like Grealish as much as the next person but the clamour for a player who is 25 and has never played a European club game I just find really strange.

This pretty much, but if he’s MOTM tonight there’s no doubt he should be starting the next round imo. Especially if Mount’s going to be out.

10 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Feels to me like there's a bit of panic on Southgate's part after the Scotland game.

What makes you think that? 

There's no reason at all to panic; we're already through and first place is still totally in our hands. I don't see why he would and it would be pretty out of character.