PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

On 12/10/2022 at 22:55, Nobody said:

We've got one of the best badges in England though (the best in the PL according to my Mrs who doesn't give two shits about football and wouldn't just say that to be nice to me), absolutely no need to change it. Would be gutted if we did change it tbh. 

As for SJP, I'd much, much rather keep the name, but if it's a deal worth doing, then I wouldn't be too gutted to see it change. SJP needs to still be there mind, and it must never be ruined with tacky shite plastered all over it like our previous owner did with it. 

Agree, I've always thought Sunderland were so green with envy over our badge that they copied the basic style and put lions instead of seahorses either side. Absolutely love our crest, am surprised to hear any complaints about it, although I suspect we are just talking about cosmetic changes.

I understand the history and the fact that they're representative of something other than actual seahorses, I just think they're a bit of a comedy animal to have on there and I will never be convinced otherwise :lol:

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

I understand the history and the fact that they're representative of something other than actual seahorses, I just think they're a bit of a comedy animal to have on there and I will never be convinced otherwise :lol:

But unicorns, they'd be fine, eh? :troll:

I just think if we did a new badge now and somebody thought we should include some sort of portmanteau animal hybrid like a cod with a horse's arse end to reference our historical fishing and farming then, no matter how well done it was, people would rightly look at it and then go

:yao:

I feel the same about the seahorses, however fucking historical they are and however many of them are stuck on the civic centre :lol:

I'm not clamouring for change, I think the crest is classy as fuck. I just think the seahorses are canny stupid :lol:

Edited by OpenC

I have no idea :lol: it may well be the case that the city of Newcastle upon Tyne was founded and became successful on the back of some seahorse related industry of which I'm unaware, but I reckon it's probably just an allegorical reference to seafaring like you say

3 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

So they're not supposed to be 'actual' seahorses, but an allegorical portmanteau of land and marine agriculture? 

Blinded By The Sun some people re the Seahorses

Edited by Wolfcastle

Seahorses and Magpies are both very uncool non-stoic looking animals like, but I kind of like it. It's from an era where we seemingly didn't really attach masculinity to animals, mascots and objects like Lions, Wolves, Tigers Devils, Cats etc. 

Football clubs and fans were just like, ooh we're the magpies, owls, bees, cherries etc and presumably no one cared.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I tend to get quite snooty and refer to them as a Hippocampus rather than a seahorse. The half-horse-half-fish that Poseidon used to pull his chariot in Greek mythology probably has a bit more "cred" than the weird-looking thing you see hanging around seaweed.

Yep, that’s because they are hippocampi, not little sea-horses that swim in the sea.

Honestly I'm not 100% that I feel a whole lot better about Greek semiseahorses that pull gods around but anyway

I don't want a badge that just says Newcastle United in a 2022 font but if we get to the stage that we have to think about it I reckon there must be a middle ground between mediaeval pageantry, greek mythology and cutting edge modernism

Edited by OpenC

Aye, I absolutely agree, and I love the way the current NUFC crest looks as I say. I just always laugh a bit at the choice of animal, like I would if they'd gone for a mole or an axolotl or a pigeon or whatever, even if they were really well drawn and were axolotls that carried the sun in some Peruvian creation myth