PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, cookidge said:

There's a bit of uproar knocking about in the usual places about this deal, and Sela being backed heavily by PIF. I'm sure I don't need to add the usual caveats on this forum about who PIF are, before I roll out the whataboutery, I appreciate nuance and we can leave that there.

Sports Direct 'sponsored' us didn't they? Albeit not on the shirts... They were also owned by the same entity that had the controlling share (100%) in our club, the only difference being the amount that sponsorship yielded, where was the twitter / reddit outrage then? We've signed a sponsorship deal, which I believe is placed at 7th in the league, after finishing 4th, and yet there are some people knocking about crying (not here I don't think) over the 'large sum' and where it's come from, bewildering.

It’s just jealousy and hate being clothed in faux moral outrage 

I'm pretty sure we could have done a deal with any company and people would have found a way to connect them to PIF. Obviously this is much closer to home, but there's going to be a target regardless.

3 minutes ago, cookidge said:

There's a bit of uproar knocking about in the usual places about this deal, and Sela being backed heavily by PIF. I'm sure I don't need to add the usual caveats on this forum about who PIF are, before I roll out the whataboutery, I appreciate nuance and we can leave that there.

Sports Direct 'sponsored' us didn't they? Albeit not on the shirts... They were also owned by the same entity that had the controlling share (100%) in our club, the only difference being the amount that sponsorship yielded, where was the twitter / reddit outrage then? We've signed a sponsorship deal, which I believe is placed at 7th in the league, after finishing 4th, and yet there are some people knocking about crying (not here I don't think) over the 'large sum' and where it's come from, bewildering.

you're absolutely right that nobody gave a fuck. but weren't these "associated party" sponsorship rules only introduced after our takeover?

still, not to excuse the cry babies. they're just green with envy, marra

5 minutes ago, Big River said:

you're absolutely right that nobody gave a fuck. but weren't these "associated party" sponsorship rules only introduced after our takeover?

still, not to excuse the cry babies. they're just green with envy, marra

I believe the timeline was...

Takeover went through

Temporary ban on owner-related sponsorship

Associated-party rules introduced

These rules have been needed for many, many years, but were only introduced as a result of the takeover. That's before we get into the murky world of "fair market value" which I'm pretty sure would be challengeable in court. The timing of it all was very transparent. 

42 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Takeover went through

These rules have been needed for many, many years, but were only introduced as a result of the takeover. That's before we get into the murky world of "fair market value" which I'm pretty sure would be challengeable in court. The timing of it all was very transparent. 

Also only applies to new sponsors :lol:

3 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

I'm pretty sure we could have done a deal with any company and people would have found a way to connect them to PIF. Obviously this is much closer to home, but there's going to be a target regardless.

Meh.  Sela vie.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Takeover went through

Let's not forget the PL's consideration of the elimination of parachute payments when we were in the relegation zone. 

I am not usually one for paranoia, but they definitely were/are out to get us. I am not happy with PIF ownership, but the PL and the other "big" clubs can go fuck themselves with a bag of dicks. 

17 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

It's very possible it increases each year or has escalators if we remain in the CL / Europe. I'd be kind of surprised if we signed a multi-year deal that is fixed at £25M/yr.

I suppose the other thing is that Sela could always just agree to end it early and renegotiate if we start looking like a more regular top team, and our value to them goes up.

E.g. agree to extend the deal for x number of years at the cost of increasing the annual sponsorship cost, something like that.

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Some of the outrage on this deal has been fantastic to read through mind. :memelol:

We’re well on our way to becoming an absolutely huge force and global brand. 

I’ve had a few mates send me quite a few comments from Twitter about people calling and emailing Sela through the contact details on their website. Lots of noise about them being a made up company and asking the PL to investigate 

Just now, andyc35i said:

I’ve had a few mates send me quite a few comments from Twitter about people calling and emailing Sela through the contact details on their website. Lots of noise about them being a made up company and asking the PL to investigate 

Hahahaha, you’ve been done by big frank 

I'll be interested to see if we do announce a separate deal with another company for training kit sponsorship. We've never really separated it out before but that's becoming quite common and it would allow for another revenue stream. I did notice as others have mentioned that we seem very intentional about the phrase "front of shirt sponsor". That's never been a thing for us before. These guys are very serious about opening new revenue opportunities.

28 minutes ago, McCormick said:

They’ve been around for ages. Weirdos.

It’s just a really weird obsession. I mean of course Sela wouldn’t be our sponsors without us having new owners. But it’s not like we have pumped hundreds of millions through fake sponsorships like Man City did