PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

These are, ultimately, the most relevant parts of the article. 

Everything else we already knew - that PIF/KSA are intertwined but in a complex fashion (legally speaking), that the UK Government didn't want KSA to turn off the tap and stop that steady flow of cash, that the PL were only really bothered about piracy and didn't ultimately have the heart (or possibly the cash) for a protracted legal fight and that the other clubs arguing against the deal were doing so purely from self-interest.

I don't know exactly how it would work but I imagine stopping a takeover taking place would be considerably more straightforward than removing a sitting ownership from a club, especially when the links between the "official" ownership and the alleged "shadow" ownership are so murky. The Abramovic thing was inevitable (and easier for the PL) because he was sanctioned by the Government and the PL were just towing the line, rather than leading the charge as they would be in a case against PIF/KSA/MBS.

Precisely, the premier league have no power whatsoever to change ownership of a private business. The remedy would be to eject us from the league. 

19 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

These are, ultimately, the most relevant parts of the article. 

Everything else we already knew - that PIF/KSA are intertwined but in a complex fashion (legally speaking), that the UK Government didn't want KSA to turn off the tap and stop that steady flow of cash, that the PL were only really bothered about piracy and didn't ultimately have the heart (or possibly the cash) for a protracted legal fight and that the other clubs arguing against the deal were doing so purely from self-interest.

I don't know exactly how it would work but I imagine stopping a takeover taking place would be considerably more straightforward than removing a sitting ownership from a club, especially when the links between the "official" ownership and the alleged "shadow" ownership are so murky. The Abramovic thing was inevitable (and easier for the PL) because he was sanctioned by the Government and the PL were just towing the line, rather than leading the charge as they would be in a case against PIF/KSA/MBS.

Aye the Abramovic thing only happened because legally any company of his had to cease running. Chelsea themselves were given an expedition to some extent so that they could be sold. Other businesses of his in the U.K. folded.

The Premier League were not arsed until the sanctions took place.

It's not new information that the government wanted the premier league to approve the takeover, there was leaked stuff at the time about Boris Johnson getting involved and wanting it to go through. But the PL clearly had other interests, like the broadcasters and 'big 6', and ignored what the government wanted until the piracy stuff was resolved.

Edited by Jackie Broon

On 05/04/2023 at 09:55, Manxst said:

“Steve Bruce, who left his position as head coach in October 2021, received a pay-off of around £8m”

That was the deal he sorted with Ashley to remain in charge and protect him from fan backlash, what a fucking sell out, I hope he never steps foot in the North East ever again.

32 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Anyone know how much you can spend this summer with FFP if you get into CL?

Athletic said budget without was around 80 million, with champions league and more sponsors, maybe double ?

30 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Anyone know how much you can spend this summer with FFP if you get into CL?

Not sure on the figures, but it certainly helps hugely in the way of balancing out the books for future spending (sponsors/partnerships etc).

With the new rules it'll take us beyond Villa/Everton/West Ham corporate deals to other Champions League sides. Absolutely massive if we get it this early, fast-forwards about 3 years I'd think.

FWIW I still don't think we will go that mad. We might see 2/3 £50m + players with a few more in the £15-25m range to beef out the squad. 

Getting in consistently will be the next challenge, which will be sound as we will win the thing next year.

Most seem to think that there's absolutely no way that Yasir will end up testifying.

Ultimately PIF/LIV are the plaintiff in the case against the PGA. If they can't get that decision overturned they'll just drop the lawsuit rather than expose themselves to anything they don't want to.

Difference between how well they've done with Newcastle and what a massive shitshow LIV is is quite striking. Glad we have Stavely running us instead of Greg Norman, I guess :lol:

Just now, Shak said:

Most seem to think that there's absolutely no way that Yasir will end up testifying.

Ultimately PIF/LIV are the plaintiff in the case against the PGA. If they can't get that decision overturned they'll just drop the lawsuit rather than expose themselves to anything they don't want to.

Difference between how well they've done with Newcastle and what a massive shitshow LIV is is quite striking. Glad we have Stavely running us instead of Greg Norman, I guess :lol:

I hear Boehly’s looking at Greg Norman on an 8-year contract to take the Chelsea job