PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

This is the first of three articles this week to mark the one-year anniversary of Newcastle United’s controversial takeover by a Saudi-backed consortium. Today George Caulkin and Chris Waugh explain how the club has changed in 12 months. Tomorrow Oliver Kay visits Saudi Arabia to ask questions about how the takeover is perceived there, football’s role in the country and allegations of sportswashing. On Friday Matt Slater examines the degree of Saudi involvement and influence at the Premier League club.

Now I've got no issues with reporting in general and highlighting sportswashing etc, but why is it always that cunt? How many times has he visited Qatar or UAE and done the same there?

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

34 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Brilliant article this one 

It's been a great year, and this is only the F I R S T of many more to come, and all of them will be better than this year . . all of them.

(1) A great year for NUFC.

(2) A great year for Saudi Arabia and its people. The absolutely inevitable "drip-drip" of influence on that country from it assimilation into the world via NUFC / UK and many other things and many other countries.

There are some that cannot see that, I know, but even they will eventually see what is happening - even if they never quite get around to admitting it!

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Nee idea how The Athletic makes any money tbh. Oh yeah, chumps like me. 

I had a subscription but jacked it when they hiked the price to £4.99 a month. Of course they offer you the £1 deal again as you’re in the process of leaving. 

53 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Now I've got no issues with reporting in general and highlighting sportswashing etc, but why is it always that cunt? How many times has he visited Qatar or UAE and done the same there?

You not thinking of Oliver holt? That long haired prick who talks utter bullshit

Doubt he'd have the bollocks to go to Saudi *again* after the stuff he's said tbh..

Newcastle’s spending power is deterring rival suitors, even if they are not yet competing with the elite for players. “As soon as I’m told Newcastle are making offers for a player we want, we can forget it.” he says. “That’s me out; it’s a waste of time competing.”

A leading European agent, who asked not to be named to safeguard their connections, admitted to The Athletic that he would not have considered sending his players to Newcastle previously but their attractiveness has increased hugely to his clients. The other agent believes that is due to “serious people” like Ashworth now being in situ and increased ambition. Pre-takeover, neither Botman nor Guimaraes would have countenanced joining.

“Until they get European football, they won’t attract the very best,” the agent says. “But more players are increasingly seeing Newcastle as an intriguing destination.”

From the Athletic Article.

It's still surreal to me how much has already changed since the takeover. 

Before we were the club that didn't want to compete for any player, now most clubs (apart from the elite) don't want to bother competing with us [emoji38]

Although a right winger was seen as a priority by some, the new owners felt that Jacob Murphy and Migoal Almiron were adequate and as such the position will not be filled for the foreseeable. 

Worrying if true. 

Edited by TBG

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Nee idea how The Athletic makes any money tbh. Oh yeah, chumps like me. 

Judging by their reviews, by charging people £60 after their £1 period (even though they'd cancelled as per t&cs) then refusing to give it back. :lol:

It's why I stopped paying them, they seem a bit dodgy tbh.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/theathletic.com

Edited by Kid Icarus