Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It's crazy because as much as you made accomodations for Bruce making players worse I still looked at squad last november and thought none of these lot are good enough to do out in this division there's no hope

It's irritating the fuck out of me seeing people on social media saying us spending £90m in January has bought our 2022 form. There's way more to the story than to distill it down to money = staying up.

Guest reefatoon

The other 19 teams bought their form in the summer, we were just catching up in January.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

It's irritating the fuck out of me seeing people on social media saying us spending £90m in January has bought our 2022 form. There's way more to the story than to distill it down to money = staying up.

Just ignore it man. It's a cesspit of shit takes and bad faith.

7 minutes ago, hakka said:

It's one of the most boring narratives going and anyone trying to make such a point should also have to explain what a shrewd piece of business it was spending more than a quarter of that on Chris Wood. They won't and can't.

13 minutes ago, hakka said:

you're going to be well irritated this time next year when they are saying £200m bought NUFC, a top 7 position.    Going to be delicious

Disclaimer:   all amounts quoted are for illustrative purposes only and do not constitute a commitment or guarantee that this amount will be spent!

Edited by Awaymag

He's taken a club that was dead and buried by almost everyone to touching distance of the top half in half a season. Yes January investment helped, but regardless that's a massive achievement and should have showed up Bacon chops for the managerial fraud that he is.

Hope he can continue the form without relegation pressure, and there's no calls for his head if we don't win any of the first few games next season

18 minutes ago, hakka said:

Yeah, Villa spent £91m in the summer and another £25m in January, plus Coutinho on loan, and finished three places below us. It's such a lazy and uninformed response.

Edited by Jackie Broon

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just wait until we're winning stuff. It'll be delicious.

https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/newcastle-united-howey-the-lads.33657/page-57#:~:text=May 16%2C 2022-,%231%2C121,-Riou

Absolute scum club this.

Even when they were everybody's second team in the mid 90s, they basically just bought their way to that success...I say success, have win **** all since like the 60s.

Embarrassing the money they spent back then, to not even win a cup.

Now, they are the new Chelsea and City, no history just a dirty rich owner... enjoy your blood success now, you Geordie Bellends.

That's just from us ending their top 4 hopes (forever)

4 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

It's one of the most boring narratives going and anyone trying to make such a point should also have to explain what a shrewd piece of business it was spending more than a quarter of that on Chris Wood. They won't and can't.

Chris Wood did a job...yes he didn't score enough, but he changed the dynamic and style of the team to make it more effective. A piece in the puzzle so to speak. He knows, Eddie knows, and we know he won't be the long term solution and will almost certainly be replaced within a year. However he worked his behind off, and we got results with him in the team. Yes we overpaid for what he's directly delivered, but we also looked so more balanced and dangerous with him....at the same time effectively wrapping up one of the relegation spots by taking one of Burnleys better players

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, Villa spent £91m in the summer and another £25m in January, plus Coutinho on loan, and finished three places below us. It's such a lazy and uninformed response.

Everyone conveniently ignores us spending just £25m in the summer window on a player we already had on loan. We then spent the bare minimum in January just to keep our heads above water. That shouldn't have resulted in 11th place - that's on Howe. 

There’s an element of truth to the January signings keeping us up though.

Howe clearly needed a few players to fit how he wanted to play. We especially needed a left back and a left footed centre back. Ritchie, Clark and Lewis were costing us every game. We lost to Cambridge at home, couldn’t beat Brentford, Watford or Norwich at home etc.

Of course I’m not saying it was all down to the signings but they were clearly a necessary part of how well Howe has done (and he has done amazingly well even with the signings playing out of their skins).

1 minute ago, Smal said:

There’s an element of truth to the January signings keeping us up though.

Howe clearly needed a few players to fit how he wanted to play. We especially needed a left back and a left footed centre back. Ritchie, Clark and Lewis were costing us every game. We lost to Cambridge at home, couldn’t beat Brentford, Watford or Norwich at home etc.

Of course I’m not saying it was all down to the signings but they were clearly a necessary part of how well Howe has done (and he has done amazingly well even with the signings playing out of their skins).

Probably what spurred them on.

After the 1-1 draw with Watford in January we had played 20 games and accrued 12 points. Over the next 18 games we accrued 37 points; that is a phenomenal achievement and done with Trippier largely missing and Guimaraes being ‘bedded in’ over a period of games with other players who were short on form and confidence

Edited by Yassassin

26 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Chris Wood did a job...yes he didn't score enough, but he changed the dynamic and style of the team to make it more effective. A piece in the puzzle so to speak. He knows, Eddie knows, and we know he won't be the long term solution and will almost certainly be replaced within a year. However he worked his behind off, and we got results with him in the team. Yes we overpaid for what he's directly delivered, but we also looked so more balanced and dangerous with him....at the same time effectively wrapping up one of the relegation spots by taking one of Burnleys better players

But never warranted a £25m fee. My point is the same people who are bleating about our spending now are also those who sneered at the deal.

It's really tiring how people go on like we were the only club to sign a player in January. All other clubs have the opportunity to do so and some even make use of it too. The system has been in place for twenty years and it wasn't created especially for us. 

In today's market, £90 million on four permanent first team players (plus a loan) isn't a great deal of money, doesn't even add up to a Jack Grealish. 

Everton spent as much as what it takes to buy the entire Newcastle United football club company one and a half times and they celebrate that outlay not getting relegated as if it's them winning the quadruple. 

In summary: Eddie Howe is amazing, he's perfect for us and I love him.