Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Guest HTT II
Just now, Kimbo said:

I don’t buy it. Really good managers in their prime don’t want to be part-timers that get a few days here and there with the players, spending most of the year out of the spotlight. The best managers are almost always in the club game.

The England job is huge now and always has been to be honest, you’re going to be working with some of the best young players in the world and any Englishman will have a strong pull towards it. I doubt we’ll be losing Howe to England any time soon, but if they come calling, he’d seriously consider it and I guarantee they will be seriously considering him to replace when and if Southgate leaves.

I can see Howe getting offerred the England job if it came up afte the World Cup, and I don't think it's impossible that he takes it.

The difference between Newcastle and England is in how full-on they are, and that's a postiive and negative for us wanting to keep him.

As a positive, he loves work and loves working with players day in, day out, and improving them. He took several L1 players and made them PL regulars with Bournemouth. He won't have that level of contact with England players and they'll all come to him still with their club mentality in their heads and go back largely unchanged after each international.

As a negative, he'll be effectively working part-time and as a family man he'll be able to avoid the burnout that managing Newcastle as intensely as he does is likely to bring eventually. Indeed his family may want him to take it for just that reason. Plus, it is the national team after all.

I can see both sides. I just hope that if the job does come up, and if he ever is offered it, he says no.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The England job is huge now and always has been to be honest, you’re going to be working with some of the best young players in the world and any Englishman will have a strong pull towards it. I doubt we’ll be losing Howe to England any time soon, but if they come calling, he’d seriously consider it and I guarantee they will be seriously considering him to replace when and if Southgate leaves.

Today, I'd say him and Potter would be the top 2 names on the list.

That's not to say either would be interested, but I think they're clearly the best 2 English managers right now and both young and exciting.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Today, I'd say him and Potter would be the top 2 names on the list.

That's not to say either would be interested, but I think they're clearly the best 2 English managers right now and both young and exciting.

Aye and I could see our club being interested in Southgate at some point in time. I doubt Howe will leave us anytime soon though!

Edited by HTT II

If England do call him he'll tell them politely no. I can't speak for him of course but you don't walk away from a job like ours with the success he can have ahead of him whilst in your prime.

Do the England gig when you're near retirement or something. If you're the best English coach then it'll be available for you at some point if you want it.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye and I could see our club being interested in Southgate at some point in time. I doubt Howe will leave us anytime soon though!

Southgate isn't anywhere near the level required for a club aiming high like ours. Howe is in a completely different league to him.

16 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Maybe.  But then if you're thinking about your team set up, you don't make such assumptions.

And to be clearer about how the game panned out, we went toe to toe in the first half and were pushed back and pretty much dominated in the second.

If you want to be fair about how the game went we didn't just go toe to toe with them in the first half. We outplayed them. 

IMG_3202.jpg

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, Cf said:

If England do call him he'll tell them politely no. I can't speak for him of course but you don't walk away from a job like ours with the success he can have ahead of him whilst in your prime.

Do the England gig when you're near retirement or something. If you're the best English coach then it'll be available for you at some point if you want it.

Southgate isn't anywhere near the level required for a club aiming high like ours. Howe is in a completely different league to him.

I agree, although profile wise I think Southgate would tick every box for our owners who are rightly so image conscious giving, well, who own us!

I'm convinced some people just can't let themselves enjoy anything like. 

Ooooh no Real Madrid like Bruno. But what if Howe wants the England job!? Proper going on like Aunt Josephine from A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Just enjoy the ride man! These are the good times.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I bloody hope not

Something will have gone seriously wrong if we ever appoint Southgate

Guest HTT II
Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I bloody hope not

Something will have gone seriously wrong if we ever appoint Southgate

Well, I love him me, but I wouldn’t want him here, he’s perfectly suited to international football.

13 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure about Mings like but anyone who's watched England the last 5 years and doesn't think Pickford & Maguire have been excellent for them must have been watching something completely different to me.

Man Utd are a totally different team (better) with Maguire on the bench.  Winky face! 

Presser:

Re Wilson: 

says he's okay and undertaking the normal process of having scans. 

Don't believe it's serious but need to be very careful with hamstring injuries so we await tests to see how long he will be out for. 

Re other injuries:

Dan Burn got a concussion and will not feature against Tranmere. 

Matt Targett was very close to playing against Man City but adjudged too big a risk. 

Significant physical output at weekend so changes will be made.

Re transfers: 

Believed reports of a completed deal for Joao Pedro weren't entirely accurate. 

Still hopeful of bringing in one or two players who can add quality to the squad. 

No intention of losing Allan Saint-Maximin. 

Will wait and see extent of Wilson's injury before considering changing approach to transfers. 

Understands that there is always going to be lots of rumours.

Re prospect of success: 

Says he does visualise being successful from time-to-time and claims it is one of his dreams to lift a domestic trophy. 

One of the reasons for educating squad on past successes was to ensure they could visualise writing themselves into Newcastle history. 

Says Cambridge was a painful reminder of what can happen if you don't play well in cup competitions. 

The ownership's view is to deliver success and there is no ceiling being put on what we could do.

Re Tranmere: 

Elliott Anderson has a chance of playing. 

We have penalty takers who practise every day.

Re Man City game: 

Says he enjoyed watching the game back because of how we performed. 

Believes that the City game was a snapshot of how we want to be: to become a top team, we have to play aggressive front-foot football, but we still have to become better in every aspect

This Twitter thread on our pressing vs Manchester City is hugely impressive and shows just how brave and well-drilled we were in the press and how it unnerved City to unusual levels.

Howe is doing a truly excellent job.

6 minutes ago, Memphis said:

This Twitter thread on our pressing vs Manchester City is hugely impressive and shows just how brave and well-drilled we were in the press and how it unnerved City to unusual levels.

Howe is doing a truly excellent job.

Totally!!!