Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think it’s fair to say that Eddie dropped one clanger yesterday in taking off Gordon. Other than that, the other subs made sense. Jo was injured and Tonali was starting to get very loose in possession.

Those changes gave Liverpool the initiative.

BUT… we had enough good chances to win that game comfortably, and we didn’t take them / had an excellent goalkeeper and post between us and a comfortable win.

It was a frustrating as fuck afternoon, but thankfully we have a manager who works his bollocks off to better himself and he’ll learn from that. And it’s only maybe the 3rd or 4th time I can think of where you could actually pin any blame on the manager since he took over.

Everyone seems to agree that taking Gordon off for Barnes was a bollock dropped, but if Barnes plays Wilson in like he should have it would have been hailed as a genius substitution and killed the game off.

It's strange to me that the finger is being pointed at Howe when he's set us up in a way that saw us take control and the lead when it was 11v11. If we take our chances (I'm looking at you Miggy lad) we put the game to bed. We didn't, left the door open for them and they were clinical with their two chances. That was the difference between the sides

8 minutes ago, Mills and Boon said:

Everyone seems to agree that taking Gordon off for Barnes was a bollock dropped, but if Barnes plays Wilson in like he should have it would have been hailed as a genius substitution and killed the game off.

It's strange to me that the finger is being pointed at Howe when he's set us up in a way that saw us take control and the lead when it was 11v11. If we take our chances (I'm looking at you Miggy lad) we put the game to bed. We didn't, left the door open for them and they were clinical with their two chances. That was the difference between the sides

1000%

There's a good chance we get beat this weekend which means two weeks of people moaning about Howe, it going to be torture in here.

Settle down man we got fucked over with the starting fixtures, but this team playing how we do with young fresh legs to come in can easily go on a great run.

2 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I think it’s fair to say that Eddie dropped one clanger yesterday in taking off Gordon. Other than that, the other subs made sense. Jo was injured and Tonali was starting to get very loose in possession.

Those changes gave Liverpool the initiative.

BUT… we had enough good chances to win that game comfortably, and we didn’t take them / had an excellent goalkeeper and post between us and a comfortable win.

It was a frustrating as fuck afternoon, but thankfully we have a manager who works his bollocks off to better himself and he’ll learn from that. And it’s only maybe the 3rd or 4th time I can think of where you could actually pin any blame on the manager since he took over.

Gordon was absolutely knackered and rightfully taken off.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

There's a good chance we get beat this weekend which means two weeks of people moaning about Howe, it going to be torture in here.

Settle down man we got fucked over with the starting fixtures, but this team playing how we do with young fresh legs to come in can easily go on a great run.

Champions League draw should get everyone excited.

"There's always things you'd do differently if you don't win the match, that's for sure. With hindsight, as I said, you'd always do things differently. But when you're in my shoes, that's the job you're in.

"We wanted to get Callum's fresh legs and pressing ability on and we wanted to get Harvey's goalscoring ability on to try and seal the game. It didn't happen but I don't think it was the fault of the players who came on.

"I felt we'd lost momentum - that's why we made the changes we did. Liverpool had five or six set plays in succession and we were under pressure. The extra man advantage is taken away in set plays.

"We tried to change the momentum of the match. Liverpool are a threat from set-plays, they were putting us under pressure in that moment and we wanted a bit more control.

"But they're a very, very dangerous counter-attacking team. I just think back to the game here last year when the roles were reversed. We had 10 men and they had 11 and we played really, really well that day and had the best chances in the game with a man less.

"It can happen and when you've got players like Salah and Nunez on the pitch, they're a huge transitional threat and we knew that would be the case. That's why we were desperate for a second goal to kill the match." 

Still don't think the subs were that mad and the logic was perfectly sound. Yesterday was a bottle issue, for which Howe still takes some responsibility. We didn't look comfortable against ten men in terms of the mentality and tactical approach, that absolutely has to be addressed on the training ground and manager's office.

He must be devastated at losing to that ungracious cunt Klopp three times in succession. Still, even if it's a bitter pill to swallow, Howe has won games against the best against everyone else, or at least given them almighty scares before the refs stepped in. He deserves all our backing.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Still don't think the subs were that mad and the logic was perfectly sound. Yesterday was a bottle issue, for which Howe still takes some responsibility. We didn't look comfortable against ten men in terms of the mentality and tactical approach, that absolutely has to be addressed on the training ground and manager's office.

Read my post in the match thread. :thup:

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, more that I think about it there’s reallly nothing wrong with the subs. He brought in good players that many wanted to start this game and players he took off seemed to either be tiring or got injured. 

It was just one of those days where we couldn’t score that second goal to seal it off and stars aligned for them to score twice at the end. We should have been more aggressive with the man advantage but it’s hard to put that only on Howe. It’s a devastating result against a team that everyone hates but that’s football, freak results can happen.

Edited by Pata

Our game plan for changing things up simply can’t be.. Wilson and Barnes on.

I’m still angry about this today.

Even before they scored, we’d already retreated back.. they changed something and we were totally oblivious to it until it was too late.

He was out-thought by Klopp as the game wore on and it didn’t look like we believed we could or should win.

He deserves plenty of time to get that right but it’s the first alarm bell I’ve really had with him as a coach with us.

20 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Our game plan for changing things up simply can’t be.. Wilson and Barnes on.

I’m still angry about this today.

Even before they scored, we’d already retreated back.. they changed something and we were totally oblivious to it until it was too late.

He was out-thought by Klopp as the game wore on and it didn’t look like we believed we could or should win.

He deserves plenty of time to get that right but it’s the first alarm bell I’ve really had with him as a coach with us.

Alarm bell, really?

With better finishing we kill the game off.  We had 80% of the possession until the subs IIRC.

We hit the bar and the post.

The goals they scored were individual mistakes which were taken advantage of by some ridiculous finishing.

It was a crazy result, but I don't see why blame is mainly on EH.  

Love the bloke but that decision to sub off Gordon and Tonali was diabolical. We had them where we wanted them and the 2nd goal looked like it was coming. But to take the player off who was, at that point, man of the match was ludicrous and basically handed them the momentum. It felt like a substution simply for the sake of it with no logic behind it.

He has loads of credit in the bank and deserves the benefit of any doubt this season but the fact that we have lost all of the crucial showdown matches against the big teams where expectations were high...ie cup final plus the last two games....is a worry.

I could see us making it to another final but losing again, unfortunately.

I don't really care about the subs. More the mentality of the team overall. I wanted subs on sooner, and more intensity in our game. Neither Barnes, Longstaff or Wilson really busted a gut after coming on. Whether it's down to instructions, the players or a combination we'll never know. Just hope we see a (cringe) 110% effort against Brighton next for more than 20 minutes.

In hindsight, something simple like swapping Isak and Gordon would have been killer.

Isak would have given TAA a terrible time and Gordon would have had the hustle for the defenders.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

In hindsight, something simple like swapping Isak and Gordon would have been killer.

Isak would have given TAA a terrible time and Gordon would have had the hustle for the defenders.

One thing about Howe is he’s pretty predictable. He hasn’t programmed that move yet. 

I dont blame Howe for anything. Players on the pitch are more than capable of closing out the game. Just played with too much fear.

Was driving me nuts our centre backs couldnt find a midfielder. Anderson was constantly showing for the ball and actually got frustrated at points. 

We would just pass between the back four constantly. 

Barnes should have sealed off the game. 2 on 1 and he bottled it. Scored that, and everyone on here would have been ecstatic with magician Howe.

Fine margins

Just also having a little read of Klopp's bio. It pissed me off when 'pool fans go on about relegating Bournemouth so on and so forth. 

Klopp manager Mainz 05 after playing for them for a number of years and sealed them promotion. He then relegated them and left. Joined Dortmund, guided them to a title within 3 years and a UEFA CL final within 4. Then he joined Liverpool and we all know what he does there. 

Eddie hasn't really had a dissimilar story. Wasn't the best player (due to his injuries) in Bournemouth but then managed them and guided them to 3?? Promotions. Eventual relegation from the PL resulted in his resignation. 

Move forward to Newcastle. Saves us from relegation and then takes us our first cup final in however long and a top 4 finish, back into the CL after 20 years. So we spent *some* money after years of no investment .. literally it was just a team that could compete!!!! 

I mean... If Klopp does not respect Howe in anyway shape or form, then honestly he needs to look in the mirror. 

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

Love the bloke but that decision to sub off Gordon and Tonali was diabolical. We had them where we wanted them and the 2nd goal looked like it was coming. But to take the player off who was, at that point, man of the match was ludicrous and basically handed them the momentum. It felt like a substution simply for the sake of it with no logic behind it.

He has loads of credit in the bank and deserves the benefit of any doubt this season but the fact that we have lost all of the crucial showdown matches against the big teams where expectations were high...ie cup final plus the last two games....is a worry.

I could see us making it to another final but losing again, unfortunately.

Man U, Spurs and Brighton at home last season were viewed as crucial showdown matches and we absolutely battered all 3 man:lol:

Don't think some folk appreciate how much he's overachieving with that squad. Would love to see any of the other top managers he apparently keeps getting outclassed against try finish top 4 with the likes of Miggy, Burn and Longstaff starting every week. 

I do wonder had the modern fan/twitter/forums been around back then how much Keegan and Sir Bobby would have been questioned and slagged off after losing games and about what a terrible look that was, forgetting what they'd done, dismissing what they could do, in the heat of the moment of a bitter defeat.

We'll end up having a good season and continuing to move forward and there will be more losses. Small price to pay and part of football.

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

I don't really care about the subs. More the mentality of the team overall. I wanted subs on sooner, and more intensity in our game. Neither Barnes, Longstaff or Wilson really busted a gut after coming on. Whether it's down to instructions, the players or a combination we'll never know. Just hope we see a (cringe) 110% effort against Brighton next for more than 20 minutes.

Agree with this, said it yesterday, It was attitude over subs. We were rocking before Tonali and Gordon went off. Lost our impetus and started playing too many sideways slopping passes.

If Barnes had squared it the subs would never be discussed. Tonali was getting loose also before he came off.

We just fucked it up. But we never looked great the whole second halve to me.

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

Man U, Spurs and Brighton at home last season were viewed as crucial showdown matches and we absolutely battered all 3 man:lol:

Don't think some folk appreciate how much he's overachieving with that squad. Would love to see any of the other top managers he apparently keeps getting outclassed against try finish top 4 with the likes of Miggy, Burn and Longstaff starting every week. 

Well said. It's confounding how relentlessly selective a few have been with their arguments.