Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve gutted to finish 12th lie given we are actually 9th a current and could well finish 12 this season…

In case you forget 12th is essentially top of the table, iirc.

1 hour ago, dave s said:

just seeing a team that has togetherness and fans that are with the team, is enough for me.. this is what’s been missing for a decade 

It’s amazing isn’t it.

We were so fucking intensely gaslit and patronised throughout Ashley’s

tenure by media and other fans alike. 

Never, never forget. 

Positive goal difference would be great. Feel like I don’t even remember the last time we had that!

7-10 next season for me. Style of play continuing to evolve - pragmatic when needed, attacking when needed.  Players continuing to develop and the club pushing on and being as ambitious as possible in every department.  

I’d like: (1) a minimum of 55 points,

(2) a style that sees us with more control against other mid-table teams (like how Brighton and Southampton dominate the ball against mid-table clubs),

(3) a cup run,

(4) at least 2 wins against top 4 opposition, preferably one away from home,

(5) to finish above Manure,

(6) to do the double over the PFM managers in the league (Frank, Gerrard, Allardyce/Pulis when they inevitably show up) and

(7) the amazing development of a player ala Joelinton this year. Say Murphy finding his shooting boots and being an in-behind threat grabbing 12 goals, or Billy Elliott starting 15+ games, grabbing a few goals and assists.

The last is almost most important to me. I love the idea Eddie gives us added value by taking an ordinary player and making him exceptional. Imagine the fewm from everyone else when we have unlimited millions but don’t need to spend them all because our manager is an alchemist! 

Edited by greydos
*fewm

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Positive goal difference would be great. Feel like I don’t even remember the last time we had that!

7-10 next season for me. Style of play continuing to evolve - pragmatic when needed, attacking when needed.  Players continuing to develop and the club pushing on and being as ambitious as possible in every department.  

This is kind of what I’m hoping for. Would be happy with that. 

I mentioned it in the Liverpool match thread. But it feels like for what are probably numerous reasons. We often really struggle to get a foothold in the game second half and surrender a lot of possession and territory.

Some of that will be by design, I’m sure. As we are really sound defensively under Howe. I suppose other teams also make changes and tweaks that are hard to counter. Finally, we do still have a lot of players that aren’t really good enough. Who have also been playing the last 4-5 seasons or so without the ball. 

I guess I would like to see more control and decent possession in the right areas. We are getting better at building attacks and trying to work openings. But still not there yet. 

With a proper pre-season and 4 quality new starters. I think Howe will get us to massively improve on this front. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

We managed it once under Pardew in the Ashley era, before that once under Roeder.

We did it regularly under Sir Bobby!  

I sincerely hope that those days are returning but for next season any top half finish would be a good progress.

Not expecting us to keep the same form when we start the next season, but still an improvement on next.  

It's the first time in many years I look forward to the summer window!!

Bearing in mind the complete lack of quality outside the top 3 and our form in 2022, I'd certainly like the target next year to be a European finish/top 7. Not saying it's a failure if we don't get it, but that should absolutely be our aim (assuming the summer transfer window is at least as good as January).

8 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

image.thumb.png.f8f9ad8eef88a3bf218997a803f32db8.png

So impressive. I'm honestly stunned at how well he has done. He is obviously a coach who is looking at self improvement and modern coaching techniques and sports science. He has seemingly taken time to learn from any mistakes he may have made at Bournemouth and is interested in constantly improving himself as well as his players improving. Absolute breath of fresh air after all we have had in the past. 

It is genuinely amazing. I live abroad so barely get to see us. Now I'm actually contacting relatives about tickets for if we get into Europe next year. I never imagined this. I was at Inter Milan that day and now feels like this could be happening again

Those 23 games also began with one win, three draws, and four defeats. That was by a team and playing style now irrelevant to what we do now.

Aiming for 7-10th with deadwood removed from the squad, more competition, and presumably better attackers next season strikes me as a step backwards. The aim has to be Top 6-7. If it isn't, the risk is that we'll lose Bruno just like Wolves lost Jota. I certainly don't want to see Bruno playing for Liverpool.

:clap:That is all.

I cannot believe this guy has undone all of the past regimes slimey work in a few months. Its literally beggars belief. He has to be in contention for manager of the year even though he got the gig a third of the season in.

7 hours ago, Bintang said:

It is genuinely amazing. I live abroad so barely get to see us. Now I'm actually contacting relatives about tickets for if we get into Europe next year. I never imagined this. I was at Inter Milan that day and now feels like this could be happening again

Indonesia by any chance? :)

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-liverpool-manchester-city-eddie-howe-kingmaker-1591991

When the supporters of the Premier League’s duelling titans Manchester City and Liverpool surveyed their run-ins, few would have ringed Newcastle United as a potential stumbling block.

But the Magpies are a club transformed in the 93 days since they turned up at Elland Road at the turn of the year effectively supping in the last chance saloon as the rest of the Premier League’s strugglers disappeared over the horizon.

They were 19th that day, grinding out a precious win as Eddie Howe talked about showing the rest of the league they were not “dead and buried yet”.

Now Newcastle sit ninth, with only the two clubs regarded as the finest in Europe above them in the recent form table. Saturday’s 3-0 win at Norwich, a seventh win in ten games, was inspired by the excellence of Brazilian pair Joelinton and Bruno Guimaraes and the fluency with which they now execute their high press will have been noted at Anfield.

Previous iterations of Newcastle United have been happy to sit back and absorb the blows when the heavyweights come to town. This team carries threat that makes Saturday’s midday appointment at St James’ Park the standout fixture of the weekend.

Huge credit has to go to Howe for the way he has reset the mindset of the club. His appointment came at a time when the optimism of Newcastle’s £350million takeover was still fresh, but results lagged far behind. The club had been hollowed out by Mike Ashley and stagnated under Steve Bruce. There was a lot of work to do.

Howe has been heavily backed in the transfer market by an ownership group that were desperate to avoid relegation but talk to those inside the club and they will tell you it has not been a story of throwing money at a problem to fix it.

Instead, Howe and his backroom team have put in the hard yards – often arriving before 7am and departing the training ground late into the evening. Individual player performance plans have been a key part of the revival, Howe following up initial meetings with squad members who were under-performing with detailed dossiers and training ground work intended to improve.

True to form, the best performances have come from those he inherited. Joelinton has been transformed into a warrior-like central midfielder, although his two goals at Carrow Road came when he played on the left of the forward line. Jonjo Shelvey is anchoring the midfield superbly. Emil Krafth looks a more than capable understudy for Kieran Trippier, who has missed most of their recent run of form. Fabian Schar has been colossal.

Howe believes in small details. Big screens at the training ground that once showed Sky Sports News now carry countdowns to the next game or motivational messages. In the run up to one game, the running stats for the previous match were displayed to illustrate how hard the group was working.

There has been an emphasis on togetherness and unity. Team photos from the dressing room after wins may have irked rival supporters but, in the words of Howe, are a reminder to “enjoy the moment”. They have improved the bond between fans and players.

Moves are afoot this summer to reconfigure the training ground so that a communal recreation room for the players can be installed to consolidate those gains.

It has got Newcastle fans dreaming of more to come next season. Funds will be available but as one insider told i: “Everything flows from Eddie. When you see his work first hand, it’s excellent. We can’t believe we got him.”

Indeed it’s understood recruitment will continue the “no d___head” policy which has seen Guimaraes, Dan Burn and Trippier take to life on Tyneside so quickly. Suddenly Howe’s band of brothers pose a serious threat.

He's done an absolutely incredible job. I couldn't be happier with the job that he's done, the way that he's done it, the style of football we've played, and the plans that he has. Absolutely delighted that he's our manager and would love nothing more than for him to grow with the club and be the main driving force of our success.

My only minor concern is that similar to Southgate, he ends up being a victim of his own success next season if we don't push on to the extent people might start to expect after this phenominal run of form. I've already told myself that I'll be happy with mid-table and I'm going to stick with that. If we have a season of letting players bed in and then pushing on again, so be it, I've already seen more than enough to know that Howe has got what it takes as a manager.