Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Did you miss what he spent the summer doing? His stamina wasn’t why he was subbed. 

It can take more than the summer break to get up to the type of fitness it takes to dish out a high intensity pressing game that is demanded from our wide play, it wasn’t the only reason he was subbed but I’d bet it was the biggest one.

26 minutes ago, TBG said:

Annoying thing is, you can guarantee it's coming from those who were happy to point out how difficult a start it is

The same folk who probably have us down as finishing outside of the top 4 given the extra games this season.

But three games in (and yes we should've gotten a result today) to that difficult start and people are questioning whether Howe is good enough to take us forward.

Baffling.

It's not baffling like, they're thick as fuck. Thankfully (hopefully) they are a minority who can be easily ignored. 

Edited by Interpolic

Isak wasn't used by his colleagues at all today hardly, even when we were doing well. The midfielders constantly look for the wide players, and the wide players particularly today, wanted to try and do it all themselves.

I'd have been seriously fucked off if I was Isak today.

Predicting any manager will lose their job in the medium term future is basically the safest, most milquetoast football opinion it is possible to have, mind. You pretty much can't lose and it's dull as fuck.

There is far, far more chance of the above happening than Eddie Howe going on to have a Fergie/Wenger/Simeone style dynasty for the next decade. That's just football. 

He is usually good with his tactics when he needs to change things but he didn’t change anything tactically when Liverpool went a man down nor in the second half when we needed to step up the intensity to put the game to bed, just the same subs.

I think he’s also making a mistake with the midfield he has built; the current set up of having three players that can interchange is  the reason Isak looks so isolated at times, compare that to Man City who go with a traditional holding man and then an attacking midfielder who can get forward to support.

Maybe that will change when Willock comes back as he wants to break and get forward but we are crying out for a Maddison type player to pull the strings and knit the attack together.

EDIT - He should have brought Wilson on and dropped Isak in behind him early in the second half.

Edited by Matt1892

8 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Almost seems that today Klopp used the 'rope a dope' tactic - Newcastle (and Howe) had no answer for it 2nd half.

As I said in match thread - no panic. Learn the lessons and move on. Trust in the manager - he has taken us this far (top 4 and back into the CL)

Bedwetters can get to fuck.

Spot on....it hurts today but done now...learn our lessons and move on...CL draw Thursday...HWTFL....

11 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

He is usually good with his tactics when he needs to change things but he didn’t change anything tactically when Liverpool went a man down nor in the second half when we needed to step up the intensity to put the game to bed, just the same subs.

I think he’s also making a mistake with the midfield he has built; the current set up of having three players that can interchange is  the reason Isak looks so isolated at times, compare that to Man City who go with a traditional holding man and then an attacking midfielder who can get forward to support.

Maybe that will change when Willock comes back as he wants to break and get forward but we are crying out for a Maddison type player to pull the strings and knit the attack together.

EDIT - He should have brought Wilson on and dropped Isak in behind him early in the second half.

Great and honest analysis.

Three of our five losses last season came from the two sides we just played. The manner of it wasn't pleasant, but it's reality. 

Each season we will gradually get closer, right now we're not there yet.

Eddie is the best manager we've had in a long long time, and apart from today, the football and our approach to games is hardworking and exciting most of the time. 

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Absolutely 100 percent. This midfield is crying out for someone who can pick a pass like Maddison can. 

25 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Almost seems that today Klopp used the 'rope a dope' tactic - Newcastle (and Howe) had no answer for it 2nd half.

As I said in match thread - no panic. Learn the lessons and move on. Trust in the manager - he has taken us this far (top 4 and back into the CL)

Bedwetters can get to fuck.

It was a classic keep it tight and go for broke late on tactic that paid off. Sir Bobby with Glass, Lua-Lua and Cordone introduced against Man U when it was 0-1 springs to mind. Unlike then they could easily have been long since beaten by that point.

Keegan lost to ten men at home to Arsenal. Shit happens. Some of our fans reactions to any setback remain the most disappointing thing for me.

Were going to lose on average six-ten games a season even as a good team - so will everybody else bar Man City.

I think what is most disappointing is that when they went down to 10 men we didn’t put Trent under any pressure. He was 1 foul away from a 2nd yellow (albeit he should have been sent off before VVD). I’d have pinged everything to Gordon and looked to have used out extra man in and around Trent at every opportunity.

Poor day at the office, Howe had his head in his hands when the winner went in. Have to learn from this. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Thought the setup was fine, as were most of the subs. Potentially could have done with Tonali's quality later in the game, but no idea how he was doing fitness wise.

The subs cost us the game