Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

He shouldn’t and won’t be under pressure for a long time, but needs to take account for this. It should be a routine win amongst a tough run, but it’s made it incredibly hard for us and now we’ve got really tough away fixtures. 

Our inability to break down defensive teams is coming back to bite now. But I at least expect us to defend properly :rolleyes:

Can only assume Livra had a knock, otherwise he’s had a howler there. 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

The mitigation for the lack of plan B is still injuries and the fixture congestion. 

There's been no time in the past month or so to train and coach around the injuries. The focus will have been on trying to just maintain some fitness in a decimated squad. We've had a game every 3 days for a month now. 

It's been bad for sure. But weeks ago to me it was obvious we were about to have a run like this. 

He doesn't have my unquestioning support but I think enough of this isn't on him that to focus too much on Eddie isn't fair or productive. 

it’s not total mitigation though.

everyone knew this season was going to bring different pressures and the summer was a time to put in a plan B ready for when the fixture stress hit.

its weird as we moved forward summer of 22 but didn’t last summer.

I'm worried for him tbh now. Wasn't up until today, but we looked desperate there.

Players suffering from a combination of being physically ruined, mentally destroyed by the recent set backs, and now completely bereft of confidence. Unfortunately our style of play depends massively on physical intensity and Howe's coaching depends on motivation. Now we're in a situation where either tactical structure or technical creativity would pull us out of the mire and we lack both.

He still needs to be given the season and to go again next year, but for the first time I'm actually quite worried he won't get it.

Edited by ponsaelius

The bad results are only half the story. I just feel like bigger questions are being asked of us this season and he doesn’t have the answers. It’s beyond his experience. I don’t really know where we go from here but I desperately hope he can turn it around, for the sake of our season and because I love the guy. I’m not remotely confident that will happen, unfortunately.

30 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Every counter has pretty much gone out the window today. Play well at home. No players to choose from. Beat teams below us. 

All gone.

Nah. The counter is how he transformed the entire club in a very short space of time and led us to the CL. It’s far, far too early to be talking about him leaving, he’s got loads more credit in the bank yet.

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

it’s not total mitigation though.

everyone knew this season was going to bring different pressures and the summer was a time to put in a plan B ready for when the fixture stress hit.

its weird as we moved forward summer of 22 but didn’t last summer.

There'll be a certain element of maybe more could have been done but they won't have factored in having an entire first team out injured and us not even being able to fill the bench.

9 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

There's a big difference between being told you can't question Howe and asking for a crumb of perspective like

Yep. No one is stopping anyone from criticising Howe, but folk might disagree or think some of it is unjustified. 

11 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I genuinely don't think you appreciate just how much he's done to turn the whole feel of the club around. A lot of that would go if we go down the route of bouncing between "top" managers like Jose and sacking anytime there's a dip in form.

Of course I appreciate it. We are a world apart from where we were pre-Eddie, but I also think we can’t be too sentimental about it if we genuinely have hopes of winning top honours. People may disagree but I cant See us winning anything big under EH - he just has too many limitations as a manager. 

I’ve never mentioned Mourinho and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club, but a young, proven manager with pedigree that could kick us on to the next level would be attractive. And I don’t think it would take away the feel good factor at all. If we sacked EH now it would, but give him chance to turn it around and if he doesn’t, make the decision. By that time most people won’t be feeling good about the situation any more anyway.

Let me just clarify, I don’t want him sacked. I want him to turn this around and learn from his mistakes, but my confidence in his ability to do either is not high

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, Ronaldo said:

The bad results are only half the story. I just feel like bigger questions are being asked of us this season and he doesn’t have the answers. It’s beyond his experience. I don’t really know where we go from here but I desperately hope he can turn it around, for the sake of our season and because I love the guy. I’m not remotely confident that will happen, unfortunately.

I think this goes for the entire club to be frank, we hired a ceo with no experience of champions league football, same with Dan Ashworth and same with Eddie. We’ve clearly grown too quickly and it’s coming back to haunt us. 

we also tried to be clever in the summer oddly didn’t improve positions we should have and have been absolutely routed as a result of this. 

A lot of soul searching to be done from top to bottom, you can be sure every single one of them is feeling the heat. 

We desperately need to sort out the midfield issue. Can't have 3 box-to-box midfielders, and then when you lose the ball leave 50 metres of space to run. It is the most basic thing to do. 

And we need more combinations and ideas for breaking the opposition down. When Almiron is taken off, our right hand side combinations die. Left side is about Gordon 1v1, but we need a left back to attack that space too when goes inside.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

The cluster fuck of some of the situations ie: injuries this year and some naivity on his part, managing squad rotation and some leads like against Liverpool are hopefully stuff he learns from.  But saying that, he has to have a few more transfer windows, before support amongst the fan base disintegrates.

Last season with less injuries and no fixture congestion and playing Dan Burn in defence we qualified for CL, had a cup final and the best defense in the league.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm worried for him tbh now. Wasn't up until today, but we looked desperate there.

Players suffering from a combination of being physically ruined, mentally destroyed by the recent set backs, and now completely bereft of confidence. Unfortunately our style of play depends massively on physical intensity and Howe's coaching depends on motivation. Now we're in a situation where either tactical structure or technical creativity would pull us out of the mire and we lack both.

He still needs to be given the season and to go again next year, but for the first time I'm actually quite worried he won't get it.

That's a fair summary and I agree with everything. The seed of all of this is the injury crisis and - to some extent - the PSG ref call (cos we would still be in the CL if not for that), which gives him some leeway for me, even if he didn't have a lot of it already. 

What I'd give for a Jacob Murphy.

Just now, KingArthur said:

We desperately need to sort out the midfield issue. Can't have 3 box-to-box midfielders, and then when you lose the ball leave 50 metres of space to run. It is the most basic thing to do. 

And we need more combinations and ideas for breaking the opposition down. When Almiron is taken off, our right hand side combinations die. Left side is about Gordon 1v1, but we need a left back to attack that space too when goes inside.

Absolutely and it’s another instance whereby we have recruited ourselves into a corner to go all in on Howes vision. 

we have a squad full of players who are box to box, no holders and no creatives. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

That's a fair summary and I agree with everything. The seed of all of this is the injury crisis and - to some extent - the PSG ref call (cos we would still be in the CL if not for that), which gives him some leeway for me, even if he didn't have a lot of it already. 

What I'd give for a Jacob Murphy.

Pretty much agree with all of this. I also think it's time to be opportunistic if any elite managers are or become available 

I think Howe will be backed hard this window. It's huge for the team and Howe.

I know all the worry is about Ashworth and Howe sliding out the door but let's go all in. We will likely see renewed press shit stiring about the Saudis buying another club in Serie A and questioning whether the Saudis are all in on Newcastle. Nothing like a turning Newcastle fanbase to test that patience.

In short, the club need to back him this window. He's more than held his end of the bargain up until now.

Talk of overly intensive styles etc. is still a red herring to me. Plenty of other sides play the way we do.

We do need to work on game management though. I know he likes the Keegan stuff but going kamikaze at 1-1 is daft. 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

What are those?

Not a dig, I might not agree as it feels his hands are tied, but different perspectives and all that.

I really believe we’re about to learn more about PIF than we are about Howe.  If we lose those next three league games - and January doesn’t see an uptick in form - and Howe is still around in February, then we know that they are taking a truly long-term view and we have a non-reactive owner.

I still think it would be crackers to push Howe out of the door.  I want to see what we look like next season under him. 

3 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Of course I appreciate it. We are a world apart from where we were pre-Eddie, but I also think we can’t be too sentimental about it if we genuinely have hopes of winning top honours. People may disagree but I cant See us winning anything big under EH - he just has too many limitations as a manager. 

I’ve never mentioned Mourinho and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club, but a young, proven manager with pedigree that could kick us on to the next level would be attractive. And I don’t think it would take away the feel good factor at all. If we sacked EH now it would, but give him chance to turn it around and if he doesn’t, make the decision. By that time most people won’t be feeling good about the situation any more anyway.

He's not perfect, but too many limitations to ever win anything big? He's 46, he's exactly what we need tbh, a young, progressive coach who will get better with us. What limitations he has I'm confident he'll be working on.

Meh. Relegation fighting club makes Europe next season. Struggles year after. This has been happening for years. Only difference in the past is that rather than relegation threatened it was relegation certainties in our case, and rather than “Europe” it was Champions League.

Also; when we say struggling, we go into 2024 top 7 - 10. Over reaction again.