Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

11 hours ago, Mountain said:

"It's all a bit reactionary"

The word reactionary describes a political ideology, where people want to revert to the traditional past.

People just don't understand that the word "reactionary" doesn't mean anything related to reacting to anything.

It's like when people think "ignorant" means someone who ignores people.

People are cretins, including me.

Now look up how language evolves ;)

We all need to relax in the grand scheme of things mid table obscurity would have been a cause for celebration not long back.

If we have to take a step back for one season, before we push on again so be it.

I can’t really get to excited about it, the stress of a relegation battle far outweighs any disappointment at not being in the top 6.

Sure the last 2 games have pissed me off especially, and losing to Sunderland would probably turn me irrationally against Howe and the team for a week, but then I’d calm down and accept this club is only heading one way, and that’s to the very top eventually under this ownership.

On 26/12/2023 at 17:15, Ikon said:

I think so too. That’s why I wasn’t fond of the Barnes signing with Gordon here already. Especially when the RW hasn’t been sorted out which should have been the prior for me over another leftie. 

People can deny it. But Barnes LW & Gordon RW is suboptimal. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering what we have on the right more naturally.

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

We've shown we're capable of doing that while riding the wave of positivity, it'll be a different task if we lose the next few though, especially the Sunderland game. There's already a big change in mood and slipping down towards mid table will solidify that in large chunks of the fanbase. 

People underestimate the value of mood and momentum in football. Ourselves and Villa are examples of what it can do for the better when it's going your way, Chelsea and Spurs (last season), the opposite. 

We're obviously capable of top six but it's definitely hanging in the balance and will be a bigger task than a lot of people think. There needs to be patience and an acceptance that it may be beyond us IMO. 

The best bet is probably to get a few players in during January to try and shift the mood back in our favour a bit. 

All fair points. We have picked ourselves up from poor runs before, but this would be the worst on paper.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

People can deny it. But Barnes LW & Gordon RW is suboptimal. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering what we have on the right more naturally.

Even if they “can” play there it would make us too predictable. Just with better quality than now. Not that much better in possession though. 

Edited by Ikon

Having Gordon in the spots that Almiron picks up when entering the box would be fantastic. Miggy finds himself in byline areas a lot but refuses to play cut backs.

We've seen Jacob Murphy look pretty good at RW so there's no doubt in my mind that Gordon couldn't be very effective there. 

He also had a very decent left peg to mix things up.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

We've shown we're capable of doing that while riding the wave of positivity, it'll be a different task if we lose the next few though, especially the Sunderland game. There's already a big change in mood and slipping down towards mid table will solidify that in large chunks of the fanbase. 

People underestimate the value of mood and momentum in football. Ourselves and Villa are examples of what it can do for the better when it's going your way, Chelsea and Spurs (last season), the opposite. 

We're obviously capable of top six but it's definitely hanging in the balance and will be a bigger task than a lot of people think. There needs to be patience and an acceptance that it may be beyond us IMO. 

The best bet is probably to get a few players in during January to try and shift the mood back in our favour a bit. 

Jan is the key for me. The squad desperately needs freshening up, and more quality added to turn this around. Much like we did in Jan when they took over the club.

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

you thought Gordon was suboptimal full stop, tbf.

5 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

you thought Gordon was suboptimal full stop, tbf.

I did and I was wrong. He has quality and will get goals. He's not creative or good 1v1. He has a similar profile to Barnes and is the same footed. Moving him to RW limits his goal threat due to the angle of shooting opportunities and less supply coming from the left.

11 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Having Gordon in the spots that Almiron picks up when entering the box would be fantastic. Miggy finds himself in byline areas a lot but refuses to play cut backs.

We've seen Jacob Murphy look pretty good at RW so there's no doubt in my mind that Gordon couldn't be very effective there. 

He also had a very decent left peg to mix things up.

That's not Gordon's game. Sure he could do it but you want him to get into goalscoring opportunities and to shoot. Going wide and crossing/cutting back to switch things up. 

Murphy is more of a traditional winger. SO being on the RW suits him. That's not Gordon or Barnes.

A left footer, ideally a creative one is what we need at RW. Keeps the teams balance.

That's a horrendous run you've been on. All I'll say is what I've said before which is Howe can be a streaky manager at times. His teams seem to put together these runs of terrible results when nothing goes right but then it suddenly clicks and they rattle off ten wins in eleven, or something similar. If the owners have patience, I think you'll see something similar and, with no European football to worry about, I expect a charge toward the Champions League places. Whether you reach them or not I couldn't say for certain, but I'd be surprised if you didn't.

On the Howe front, once this period is over he needs to take control of this situation and solve it. You can afford to have these on and off runs when you're building a club up but pretty soon the expectation will be titles for you and this will be his downfall if he can't finally crack it. I hope he can. It is a strange phenomenon though.

For those that missed it last season: https://newcastle-online.org/topic/36984-eddie-howe/page/898/#comment-7478998 It's all going to work out!

Edited by WillDanceForChocolate

Having had a think, I'm not really on the doom train for the next 4 matches. We can and have got results in similar games in the past, and adverse circumstances can lead to great performances. If ever there was a time for the players to play for a manager, it's the next month or so. 4 points from 3 tough league games and dealing with the Mackems is not out of the question.

7 minutes ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

That's a horrendous run you've been on. All I'll say is what I've said before which is Howe can be a streaky manager at times. His teams seem to put together these runs of terrible results when nothing goes right but then it suddenly clicks and they rattle off ten wins in eleven, or something similar. If the owners have patience, I think you'll see something similar and, with no European football to worry about, I expect a charge toward the Champions League places. Whether you reach them or not I couldn't say for certain, but I'd be surprised if you didn't.

On the Howe front, once this period is over he needs to take control of this situation and solve it. You can afford to have these on and off runs when you're building a club up but pretty soon the expectation will be titles for you and this will be his downfall if he can't finally crack it. I hope he can. It is a strange phenomenon though.

I can’t speak for what went on at Bournemouth, but last season with us, thanks to clever tactics and good mental preparation, he overachieved massively with the squad he had.

It helped that we were relatively free of significant injuries and fixture congestion, but over the last few weeks we’ve had both. The modest quality of some of our players has been exposed and the lack of preparation time and options have prevented Eddie from using his considerable skills. 

It’s not like we had a great side that suddenly looks ordinary. We had an ordinary side that Eddie made look great. Unless we are able to play at our peak, a lot of our methods don’t work well.

This may be what’s behind the ‘streaks’

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

We all need to relax in the grand scheme of things mid table obscurity would have been a cause for celebration not long back.

If we have to take a step back for one season, before we push on again so be it.

I can’t really get to excited about it, the stress of a relegation battle far outweighs any disappointment at not being in the top 6.

Sure the last 2 games have pissed me off especially, and losing to Sunderland would probably turn me irrationally against Howe and the team for a week, but then I’d calm down and accept this club is only heading one way, and that’s to the very top eventually under this ownership.

Similar here. I've made a mental note to myself to not overreact if we lose the derby. But fuckin hell it will be difficult to do. Think I might just log out of all things football for a fortnight. [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Similar here. I've made a mental note to myself to not overreact if we lose the derby. But fuckin hell it will be difficult to do. Think I might just log out of all things football for a fortnight. [emoji38]

Already decided am sticking to my 6 weeks sober after this holiday so watching alone in the house hoping to avoid any meltdown ha

Unsure what thread to put this question in, but are there a few similarities between this season and 1994-95? 

Finished top 4 season before, start the new season playing some outrageous stuff at times (Villa 5-1, Sheff Utd 8-0, PSG 4-1, Palace 4-0) before going through a slump over Christmas and exiting Europe relatively early. We also only won 1 away game after October in 1994-95, at Ipswich who went down, after winning the first 5 on the bounce. 

We went on this run over Christmas.

Screenshot_20231228_125502_Chrome.thumb.jpg.77cfbdbccde033f03e005136719e773b.jpg

Obviously not losing as many games as we have been this current run but still; 2 wins in 13 is poor.

Fan expectations have risen which in turn can be argued has negatively impacted the atmosphere at matches.

Keegan here also, obviously won't be to the extent of this season but:

He’ll be ok when we get back to normal. Players returning from injury and time

Between games to train and work on tactics and fitness. Last seasons success was too soon and turned into a curse not a blessing. 

23 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Unsure what thread to put this question in, but are there a few similarities between this season and 1994-95? 

Finished top 4 season before, start the new season playing some outrageous stuff at times (Villa 5-1, Sheff Utd 8-0, PSG 4-1, Palace 4-0) before going through a slump over Christmas and exiting Europe relatively early. We also only won 1 away game after October in 1994-95, at Ipswich who went down, after winning the first 5 on the bounce. 

Screenshot_20231228_125502_Chrome.thumb.jpg.77cfbdbccde033f03e005136719e773b.jpg

Obviously not losing as many games as we have been this current run but still; 2 wins in 13 is poor.

Fan expectations have risen which in turn can be argued has negatively impacted the atmosphere at matches.

A lot of similarities aye, although in 94-95 a lot of it felt like it was down to Cole's form dipping, then he went AWOL and then he went to Man United.

20 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

A lot of similarities aye, although in 94-95 a lot of it felt like it was down to Cole's form dipping, then he went AWOL and then he went to Man United.

Didn't Cole have shin splints and went 11 or so without a goal till a late one home to Ipswich, the worst game I can remember. Was away before our next game I think 

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Succinctly put.

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The future’s bright. The future’s black and white. United :indi: 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I compared it to a mix of this one and the 03/04 season with our away form.

hard to see much better signings/transfer kitty available next summer if we dont make CL and get that extra revenue in. we do need CL revenue. without that we need to build up much better sponsor revenue which is also easier with being a regular CL club.

the Sela shirt deal and CL revenue together allowed us to spend relatively high for Tonali, Barnes, Livramento, Hall few contract renewals etc plus the income for Maxi.

take CL revenue out of that and it could be tight.