Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

A decent performance would’ve been welcome. Something to build on. 

I think we had an Xg against of 7+. The highest recorded in the PL since they’ve collected the data. Should we be that bad?

Agreed, on a different day this could well be a record breaking defeat for us. That we were in the game until the 78th minute was everything to do with Liverpool’s finishing as opposed to a strong rearguard display.  

Weekend is critical, a victory there and hopefully we can build a bit of momentum. But he needs backing.

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

He's acting like a novice manager. Has done for most of the last 2 to 3 months. He's more out of form than his players. I think he knows he can't change it and just sits and watches the car crash. Completely out of ideas on how to stop this. He could start by mixing up his starting xi and using subs earlier...but refuses to divert from his plan a and plan a cleary hasn't worked for 10 games or so now. 

Enough players are back to not be performing like this. He has his 1st choice defence but it cant stsy focused for more than  5mins at a time. Said before this game stick the most defensive unit out as possible and frustrate. Get Hall I front of the lb and keep salah quiet.

Right now he's got that looks when Bruce was beating him and his team was going down....Just dead behind the eyes and broken.

The club need to back him with players ASAP. Fuck ffp. Go out and correct this season or he'll not last it. Deals should have been done already, not sitting on it waiting for players to come back. It's not fair on those whove been run into the ground, and if they don't act now, they've done them a disservice as well as Howe. 

I’d agree with mixing up the XI but who is he gonna mix it up with? Ritchie? Bring Gillespie on as an outfield player and hope he scores a worldie? 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Does 6 days of which most will have been recovery class as time to train ?

It's what the man himself said tbf. I wasn't expecting all of our fatigue and knackered players to suddenly look rejuvenated after a slightly longer break than usual between games but he seemed to suggest it might make a lot of difference.

I still think he turns it around when the fixture list slims down and we start to get the bodies back, I just really hope he doesn't lose the derby. Get beat there, followed by City and then another tough away at Villa and I think the crowd might start to turn.

Nothing we don’t know. Like a few of the team he’s a bit out of his depth in that scenario. A lot of mitigating circumstances for him but we just cannot keep the ball. 

1 minute ago, Cf said:

The expected goals whilst bad isn't quite as bad as it looks. 

The penalty in the first half will have counted for like 1.5 because of the follow-up (obv you can't score more than once but xG strangely doesn't take this into account) and there was a bit where they had a flurry despite being offside and the flag not going up and us getting the ball at the end of it. 

It's still bad like, but not quite worst of all time bad. 

This is fair and noted. 

But it was bad. Same wave after wave of oppo attack we saw at Milan, Paris, Wolves, Chelsea. It’s bad man. And I’m not even counting the ‘no shows’ at Brighton and Bournemouth. 

I think it is a fine balance and I'm not sure which side of the line should be more weighted...

I didn't expect us to get anything from this game, but when Howe & Botman come out with quotes in the build up, they need to back their words up with actions and a performance - we got neither really, the stats show what an absolute landslide of a game that was for Liverpool and it was men against boys.

Things are against Howe at the moment in terms of injuries, fatigue, etc... but we were worse than we should have been, I think that's a pretty fair thing to say.

Just now, OpenC said:

Cannot comprehend this How Could We Possibly Compete With Liverpool.  We competed with AC, PSG, Manchester City, Manchester United this season already with some proper second rate players :)

I'm nowhere near giving up on the lad but the overreactions to the mildest of criticism are insane :lol:

It's hardly mild criticism if folk are calling for his head of we lose to Sunderland :lol:

3 minutes ago, Cf said:

The penalty in the first half will have counted for like 1.5 because of the follow-up (obv you can't score more than once but xG strangely doesn't take this into account) and there was a bit where they had a flurry despite being offside and the flag not going up and us getting the ball at the end of it. 

And the 0.8 for the dive penalty of course. 

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Last few games have been genuinely worrying, tbf. There's something not quite right at all and we don't look like turning it around any time soon.

Worrying in what sense? I would expect you to know just how much of an impact these injuries, suspensions, extra games will have on teams. The evidence is all there.

1 minute ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Dead man walking, team has the familiar feel of a Bruce/McClaren side.

Absolutely live for the negativity, you do. :lol:

Honestly, anyone making any fresh conclusions after that game is a fucking idiot, quite frankly.

We've learnt absolutely nothing. We're utterly knackered, we have nothing on the bench, we have next to no confidence and we were ill-equipped to deal with an absolutely deadly and extremely motivated team who always beat us and never lose at Anfield.

We should have conceded more on the balance of play but I don't even think we were that bad. If Jota doesn't go down it's not beyond the realms of possibility that their nerves kick in and we take it to the wire. 

It's like folks are desperate to hate again.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It's hardly mild criticism if folk are calling for his head of we lose to Sunderland :lol:

Most people are just saying we look pretty poor, and we do. Have for weeks :)

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The main issue he has is that he massively overachieved last season. Genuinely think that’s where the reactions and pressure is coming from. Ridiculous really.

I think that's partially true, but the away form in particular this season is worthy of criticism, taken in isolation and disregarding what happened last season. We have 5 points away from home, second worst in the league, and one or two games aside, the performances on the road since August have been shocking - that is obviously not good enough and needs solving, but we are just taking the same approach every week.

We may be limited in player choices but we don't have to be backs to the wall for 90 minutes struggling to keep a hold of the ball - that just adds to the fatigue if anything. Anyone who's played football knows how difficult it is chasing the ball constantly. 

I don't think he should be under pressure, but he definitely shouldn't be immune from criticism. 

2 minutes ago, duo said:

People can jog on if you are going to have a go at Eddie - just look at our squad man.  He's been overachieving the past 18 months - we've still a core of players from the Championship.  You can't seriously think we could go toe to toe with Liverpool? 

This is all true, but people can stil question some of the decicions. Hanging Burn out to dry, and then the midfield shape..i love Eddie but just cant understand how we keep making the same mistakes game after game.

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

Most public models do this, correct, but for results analysis it should really be one minus sum of prob of not scoring in continuous passage, i.e. two 0.7xg chances in the same passage gives 1 - (0.3 * 0.3) = 0.91xG. 

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I mean, this is a results-based business like. Our form can’t be accepted indefinitely.

No one expected a result against Liverpool before the game. Everyone expected a comfortable loss.

But suddenly in the aftermath it's not good enough. Can't make it up.

As pitiful as that performance was he won’t be judged by it. Not by anyone that matters anyway. 

Gap between our mid and defence is embarrassing and glaring obvious. Especially in the big games. That’s why Foden always bums us. 

1 minute ago, Jagten said:

Most public models do this, correct, but for results analysis it should really be one minus sum of prob of not scoring in continuous passage, i.e. two 0.7xg chances in the same passage gives 1 - (0.3 * 0.3) = 0.91xG. 

Yeah. It's not a difficult calculation. Not sure why it's not done this way. 

5 minutes ago, Cf said:

There’s also the fact that putting weight in xG is the preserve of full-on nonces. Don’t forget that.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Honestly, anyone making any fresh conclusions after that game is a fucking idiot, quite frankly.

We've learnt absolutely nothing. We're utterly knackered, we have nothing on the bench, we have next to no confidence and we were ill-equipped to deal with an absolutely deadly and extremely motivated team who always beat us and never lose at Anfield.

We should have conceded more on the balance of play but I don't even think we were that bad. If Jota doesn't go down it's not beyond the realms of possibility that their nerves kick in and we take it to the wire. 

It's like folks are desperate to hate again.

Utterly fair and completely spot on.

The press will be again sharpening their knives for Eddie. :(

We need Ashworth, etc to get the bloke some new signings in, even if it's loan deals. Many of our players look shot to pieces.

Edited by Big Geordie

Only thing i'm going to say, is that I absolute detest the chop and changing mantra that most football clubs live by these days, the fact that Howe is the 7th longest serving manager in the league despite only being here for 2 years is a joke, it doesn't allow you as a fan to be get attached to managers or players, to feel emotional, and love the people who are there to represent us as fanbase.

That's why I utterly hate the notion of Howe getting sacked and anyone who calls for it, as it is quite simple unbelievably fickle. With Howe, in two years he has massively overachieved to a degree none of us expected, he has gotten a club that was rock bottom staring into the abyss when he first came in, to the Champions League within a season, and got the team playing some great football  to once again be a club we can be proud of. There have been so many memories that we all will remember for the rest of our lives because of what this man has done, and for people to turn on him for a small patch of bad form, which has a lot of mitigating circumstances.

Yes we have been poor this last month, yes there are some criticism that can be leveraged his way, but quite frankly he has proven he is more then up for the job, and i'd rather us stick by him and have a "poor" season, then sack him needlessly and have some other randomer maybe get us up to 6th. He's more then deserved it.

And with that, I once again ignore that the football section of the forum exists as its probably going to be really toxic in here for a little while.