Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Bishops Finger said:

Exactly. What the hell happened with Fonseca. At least he wants the job

Is there anything to suggest Howe doesnt? By the sounds of it hes been interviewed several times, not sure why someone would do that if they're not interested in the job.

Also if the club have done there homework, been careful and wanting to make sure the appointment is correct, the Howe would have had to have impressed during them discussion, and if its Emery as first choice and Howe as backup i'm more then happy with that to be honest.

Just now, ManDoon said:

What I don’t get is, surely they could have done this earlier, if this was how it was going to end up? 

if Howe does end up happening, it's pretty clear he was nowhere near first choice. We've been turned down by multiple candidates, because thanks to Ashley, we're a fucking shambles of a club and we will be for quite some time. regardless of how much money our new owners have.

Just now, Andy said:

Was under the impression it was closer to £250m, which sounds a lot but doesn't go that far when you've been promoted from the pits of English football and had to overhaul an entire squad. 

But it’s the money that did it. Had there been no investment like many of the clubs down there then they’d still be down there and Howe another championship manager at best. 

He spent the 250m in the prem and 80m to get them there from the championship. It’s not difficult with that kind of backing. If KLD threw £80m at Lee Johnson he’d have a very good chance of getting Sunderland to the prem and 250m keeps them there. It’s unheard of levels of cash. 

ive not checked but I reckon wilder did it on a fraction of the budget, in quicker time and high finish, yet we wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Funny how Howe demands respect from some quarters for his achievements yet there is very little that separates the 2 apart from Howe talks a good story and seems to be more palatable & trendy.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

But it was widely reported that fonseca wanted it? That he was basically waiting on the green light from the club. I find it wild to choose Howe over him personally. 

To me that always seemed like it came from Fonseca's side and not the club tbh. What's not to say the club where impressed with the vision and the way Howe interviewed?

I thought we were going to be announcing the DoF style management infrastructure first, and then a manager after. Surprised we seem to have parked the DoF/infrastructure side and going for a manager, when a manager will want to know what structure they will have to contend with. that could make or break the deal. Unless we expect them to bring/recommend who they want for the structure as well.

If this has seriously been derailed by a press leak, from anyone at our club, whoever has leaked it needs to be identified and be gone immediately.

I'm still hoping this is just Emery / Villarreal trying to go for damage limitation in the press. But, we'll see.

Edited by Abacus

Just now, ManDoon said:

I mean I hate Ashley but I don’t see how (lol) these initial decisions aren’t even that hard really. 

We've got the stink of hopelessness about us right now and are miles behind a Villareal in the way we were run. The position we're hiring for is about reputation and the risk of losing any sort of accreditation as a manager would be top of mind. 

If I was Emery, who just won a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE match last night, I'd have some reservations about joining a club as seemingly dysfunctional as ours at the moment. It's going to take us years to get to where Villareal are with much more risk to future employment if it all goes pear shaped.

16 minutes ago, Dokko said:

All the money in the world and after 4 weeks this is your best effort. Christ. Utterly underwhelming appointment. One for the brexiteers.

I do think people on here overestimated how attractive a job it is at the moment. Emery would have been a massive coup

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I do hope if it is Howe, everyone gets behind him, underwhelmed or not.

Of course, he’s not a massive cunt and is several tiers above what we’ve just had but we will be looking to replace him first opportunity, think someone more established grows with us. 

9 minutes ago, Carlito said:

Absolutely. Howe is massively overrated.

How can he be ”massively overrated” when a lot of people don’t rate him at all, and the ones who do, like myself, think he’s ok-ish?

Edited by Collage

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Of course, he’s not a massive cunt and is several tiers above what we’ve just had but we will be looking to replace him first opportunity, think someone more established grows with us. 

If he comes I hope it is a deal to the end of the season then a review

1 minute ago, triggs said:

I do think people on here overestimated how attractive a job it is at the moment. Emery would have been a massive coup

Yes it’s a shite situation and tbh I struggled to see why Emery would leave a cushy number in spain, in cl for us in our position but we obviously got some kind of good vibes from him that he was willing. That’s not something we as fans have made up in our heads so managers of his ilk are at least tempted. Had he not have a job then he’d be appointed by now. There are still managers out there on the same level not attached. AVB, Fonesca etc…let’s go get one.

if Howe comes in I will support him.  But he, the NUFC fans, opposing fans, MSM will know he wasn't 1st choice and I think the atmosphere at SJP will soon sink back to what it was before the last 2 home games.

1 minute ago, Collage said:

How can he be ”massively overrated” when a lot of people don’t rate him at all, and the ones who do, like myself, think he’s ok-ish?

In general among our fanbase he clearly is. Might not be on here but just have a look on twitter for example. He's basically the Martin O'Neill of 2021.