Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, worthy said:

I see that people are talking about, they are not football people, they just came in, everything got sprung on them. But these are business people no? You would think that there would be plans regardless, you would think that they had things layed out even if they were waiting. So there is something behind the scenes playing out. If not, I would question their business prowess in regards to anything.

Exactly. You hire someone that knows about the business you've just bought even if just for an interim period.  What owners ever are football people?

Honestly just assumed that's exactly what they'd do straight away.

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Why was Howe so rubbish at Burnley by the way? They had Ings and Rodriguez banging them in but still did fuck all in the championship.

Because he’s really not that good 

1 minute ago, Shak said:

I mean, why the fuck are they letting Lee Charnley do anything?

I'm not defending the decision by any means, but he's been running the day to day operations if the club for the last few years, he probably has more experience than any of the consortium in football related matters. 

It goes to show how badly we need CEO and a sporting director.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, worthy said:

Yeah, I wonder what the reasoning to keep a ticket booth manager around and letting that person do the negotiations if the rumors are true..

We don't know why he is still here or what the plans for him are as the consortium seem to have pulled up the drawbridge up since the takeover. Zero communication.

6 minutes ago, Carlito said:

He improved Everton's league position and points tally over what Moyes had achieved in the previous season (72 over Moyes' 63). Bruce didn't do that here.

Do you think Howe would do any better managing the Belgium squad?

And he had Lukaku, unlike Moyes.

I’ve watched enough football. There’s nothing you can say that can talk me round here. He’s shite.

1 minute ago, christ said:

And he had Lukaku, unlike Moyes.

I’ve watched enough football. There’s nothing you can say that can talk me round here. He’s shite.

So is Howe :lol:

Between the two, Martinez is the better manager. I wouldn't want either here but if it's between those names then Martinez is the better appointment.

Edited by Carlito

48 minutes ago, Collage said:

I’m not so sure Emery would have taken it anyway in the end. Would always be hard to leave a CL club for a relegation fight.

Ultimately, I think that's the reason why Emery turned you down. Villarreal are probably the best run club in Spain, and they are in the CL. Yes, with your new owners you have lots of potential, but right now you're still in the shit and there are lots of unknowns.

Don't go with Robert Martínez though. That dude's a fraud, I was livid when people were linking it with us earlier in the season.

Edited by Village Idiot

Just now, gdm said:

Because he’s really not that good 

Or because his mother was terminally ill in hospital, and he admitted he couldn't deal with the emotions that that entails, along with travelling continuous to go and see her, as well as being away from family for 80% of the time on his own.

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Wilder did more on a lot less. Would you take him? Same as Lambert with Norwich?

Howe has only 'performed' at one club.with no pressure on him. In fact the 1st time he felt pressure his team collapsed. 

I'm just going on the evidence we have before us. With Howe, there's way more good than bad.

I'll admit to not liking Wilder as a bloke and Lambert was a fucking disaster at Villa, despite a good spell at Norwich.

Just now, Village Idiot said:

Ultimately, I think that's the reason why Emery turned you down. Villarreal are probably the best run club in Spain, and they are in the CL. Yes, with your new owners you have lots of potential, but you're still a mess.

Don't go with Robert Martínez though. That dude's a fraud, I was livid when people were linking it with us earlier in the season.

He went to the same Lyle Lanley School of Football Manager PR that Pardew went to. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Any other consortium but theoretically 'the richest' in the world, very few would argue its not been a very poor show so far and that would be based on nothing but blind-faith.

Still benefit of the doubt for being new but we wouldn't have gave McKeag the same for the exact same scenario in 88 (2nd bottom, November, drag out new manager search, turned down, underwhelming appointment in the end)

McKeag went after Howard Kendall (he was at Athletico Bilbao) - got turned down. Also got turned down by ex Celtic boss, David Hay. Anyone else I've missed out from then?

Great that we've now got very ambitious people at the top instead of someone actively trying to hold the club down.  But they can't be expected to know how to run the Football side of things, so its probably going to be a bit hit and miss until they get a structure of experienced professionals in.  Obviously the big problem is the need to get things sorted fast because of potential relegation.  They may have to settle for a good enough choice for the moment like Howe and some experienced players in January just to get to next season.  Then work on bringing in a long term structure and then the manager they really want sometime after that.

Edited by Teasy

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Of course, no one wants them out, but it’s perfectly fine to be critical of this start. It’s not “bedwetting” and no one is turning on them. We are in a petty dire situation and they need to be acting faster than this really. I don’t know who is advising them but it’s clearly not working 

Probably at the root of it is were back to football and being a football club now and not wanting to get relegated which will damage everyone concerned and the decisions and lack of decisions are making that happen.

26 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Ashley must be laughing his cock off at how quickly some fans turn on the new owners, there needs to be patience. Looking at the bigger picture, yes, we might go down, but if we do we're still the richest club in the world. The only reason we're currently in this mess right now is the complete lack of investment by Ashley and the fact Bruce was allowed to stay in his role for so long, neither of which are really the new owner's fault. Could this current situation have been handled better? Probably, but the new owners are still cutting their teeth and to be honest, the potential for us is a million times better under them than it has been for a very, very long time. If there's fans out there seriously giving our new owners stick they really need to have a word with themselves at this point, the club has been in such disarray for such a time that it was always going to be a hell of a task to even start clearing the mess. Is Howe going to be able to keep us up if they bring him in? Nobody knows. To be honest, I don't think he's the calibre of manager/coach that we want but as things stand he's probably all we're going to get until things are sorted out at the club behind the scenes a bit more. There's a lot to do before we're in the position of established teams like Spurs for example who can sack a manager one day and appoint a top replacement the next, we've got masses of baggage in both reputation and facilities to change before then, let alone getting a solid employee structure in place.

For now, take a deep breath, take a step back. We're not going to be up there just yet, but we'll get there and when it does, it'll be glorious.

The rot in this club is palpable trying to sell it to someone like Emery. I don't blame him one bit for knocking us back, we're shit thanks to Ashley (Bruce most recently) and it's going to take years to get to a level of respectability. If that means relegation and building back up from the Championship, then so be it.

Bring in Howe to clear out the dead weight in the club, create a youth movement while adding the right players to support a solid spine of a team while investing in the facilities and infrastructure needed for sustained success. It's a let down, however, fuck it, I like Howe and will get behind him.

There's peak immediacy and recency bias on here that change happens overnight like the takeover did. 14 years of rot can't be undone in a month, people. :lol: 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Or because his mother was terminally ill in hospital, and he admitted he couldn't deal with the emotions that that entails, along with travelling continuous to go and see her, as well as being away from family for 80% of the time on his own.

Was she ill for his entire time there? I'm not doubting it played a part but I just wonder whether he's destined to just want to be on the south coast.