Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've made my feelings on Martinez clear, but it does my nut in when people wheel out the finishing fifth line, when we should know from our own experience it means absolutely fuck all.

And our blokes 5th was far more of an achievement too.

7 minutes ago, Carlito said:

Got Everton to 5th and later got them to 2 cup semi-finals in the same season. Won a trophy with Wigan even though they went down which is more than Howe has done.

He did at Everton exactly what Bruce did here - floated along in his first year on the back of the very well organised defence of his predecessor then ruined it. Wigan finished 11th the year before Martinez arrived, then we’re in a perpetual relegation battle during his reign. That FA Cup win was a massive fluke and means nothing. He’s won bugger all with one of the most naturally gifted national squads in recent history.

He’s an absolute fraud. If we employ him he won’t last the season and we’ll be playing in the Championship.

Edited by christ

4 minutes ago, Carlito said:

But let's be content with Howe in comparison who spent more money to peak at 9th? :lol:

Martinez took an established Premier League side, competing for Europe and took them backwards. Howe took over a League Two team and established them as a Premier League side.

Edited by The Prophet

No getting around the fact that this is embarrassing. No excuses. It's unacceptable to run the club like this - the new owners would have known that the first thing to do once in charge is replace the manager. That can't have been a surprise. So the manner in which they're approaching it is shocking, really. 

And the ham-fisted leaking on information to make it appear as if they're in control and "deliberating" over "proposed visions" and all is equally embarrassing. If you had a vision, you would have outlined it from the start and then tried to hire people to make it a reality. Whatever we are doing isn't that.

I hope it all works out in the end, it likely will considering the money we have access to. But our new owners have made an awful start of it.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've made my feelings on Martinez clear, but it does my nut in when people wheel out the finishing fifth line, when we should know from our own experience it means absolutely fuck all.

Same as spending £300m and hailing it a miracle to getting a team and keeping it in the top league.

What an absolute fucking shambles. Not the first time they've leaked stories to the press which have ended up not happening. They need shooting with shit, this saga could well end up sending us down.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

I see that people are talking about, they are not football people, they just came in, everything got sprung on them. But these are business people no? You would think that there would be plans regardless, you would think that they had things layed out even if they were waiting. So there is something behind the scenes playing out. If not, I would question their business prowess in regards to anything.

Howe would be an absolute disaster, we can't defend for shit and his Bournemouth teams conceded loads as well. We'd probably be best getting a firefighter in to keep us up then start again in the summer.

1 minute ago, christ said:

He did at Everton exactly what Bruce did here - floated along in his first year on the back of the very well organised defence of his predecessor then ruined it. Wigan finished 11th the year before Martinez arrived, then we’re in a perpetual relegation battle during his reign. That FA Cup win was a massive fluke and means nothing. He’s won bugger all with one of the most naturally gifted national squads in recent history.

He’s an absolute fraud. If we employ him he won’t last the season.

He improved Everton's league position and points tally over what Moyes had achieved in the previous season (72 over Moyes' 63). Bruce didn't do that here.

Do you think Howe would do any better managing the Belgium squad?

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Same as spending £300m and hailing it a miracle to getting a team and keeping it in the top league.

Not a miracle no, but there's plenty of evidence there's a good coach in there. Plenty would have failed, cash injection or not.

Basically - what this last 24 hours has done, is totally blow away any chance of a fresh start.  Whichever manager comes in now - the 1st questions will be about how it feels to be X choice.  Also Brighton game is now a dead duck and then we start to eat into International break if a new manager has not been announced.

I know people say calm down but this is seriously screwed up.   Getting a manager in should be bread and butter, done behind closed doors and announced.  

Edited by Awaymag

Just now, ManDoon said:

I see we are at the “any criticism is bedwetting” stage. Funny, used to see a lot of that on RTG. 

Any other consortium but theoretically 'the richest' in the world, very few would argue its not been a very poor show so far and that would be based on nothing but blind-faith.

Still benefit of the doubt for being new but we wouldn't have gave McKeag the same for the exact same scenario in 88 (2nd bottom, November, drag out new manager search, turned down, underwhelming appointment in the end)

Surely we can't have taken three weeks to talk to a host of candidates, narrow them down to a shortlist and NOT have spoken about contract, transfers, structure and so on?

Reading between the lines in regards to Emery we seemingly haven't talked to Villareal, haven't offered him a contract or given him the assurances needed to make the move.

It sounds an awful lot like amateur hour in my opinion. I mean even in my profession you get the framework for the deal done early in the process and then pick and choose from a number of candidates.

Surely we can't be that bad? Or can we?

Just now, The Prophet said:

Not a miracle no, but there's plenty of evidence there's a good coach in there. Plenty would have failed, cash injection or not.

Wilder did more on a lot less. Would you take him? Same as Lambert with Norwich?

Howe has only 'performed' at one club.with no pressure on him. In fact the 1st time he felt pressure his team collapsed. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah this is a bad look for whoever comes in now as they are basically seen as someone they “settled” for. A mess of a situation. 

This is why I think we should go for Rafa. We can hide behind lots of reasons it didn't happen sooner. 

2 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

Surely we can't have taken three weeks to talk to a host of candidates, narrow them down to a shortlist and NOT have spoken about contract, transfers, structure and so on?

Reading between the lines in regards to Emery we seemingly haven't talked to Villareal, haven't offered him a contract or given him the assurances needed to make the move.

It sounds an awful lot like amateur hour in my opinion. I mean even in my profession you get the framework for the deal done early in the process and then pick and choose from a number of candidates.

Surely we can't be that bad? Or can we?

If it is still Charnley leading that side (I find that hard to believe) then absolutely we can be.

Just now, Shak said:

I mean, why the fuck are they letting Lee Charnley do anything?

This has to be the biggest worry of all regarding the conduct of the new owners :lol:

He should've been out the door right with the cabbage

Guest reefatoon

This leak is such a shit show. All it has done is pile a shed load of extra pressure on Howe (if it is him coming in), as people now fancy him even less after having Emery dangled in front of them. Whoever leaked this needs booted out.

Edited by reefatoon

15 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

nufc.com are laying the blame for this fuck up, squarely at the door of Lee Charnley.

I'm amazed the buffoon is still employed by NUFC. Balls to helping with a handover.

No way are they letting Charnley do the negotiations. No way.  I think they got that wrong.