Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I get the point you are making but he did spend a ridiculous amount of money in doing so and his last season at Bournemouth was a disaster as was his transfer record.

He spent an average of just over 35m a season over his 5 years, that’s was to keep a basically league one club in the top-flight for five seasons, he spent over 10m on over 10 players in that time, the bare basic rate for even some absolute dross at this level and even at Championship level. Factor in they had to also overpay to get targets in. You can’t compare that by saying he had a higher net spend than Liverpool because they didn’t need to spend massively as they mostly had a team full of top players and their net spend is skewered by them making a lot of money selling players. There is no doubt he spent money very poorly, but 35m a season to keep a club up with 12k fans at most from a position of league one where it all started is fucking money more than well spent. We spent more than their entire net year spend per season on Joelinton… 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, et tu brute said:

His defensive record, just have a look at how many goals Bournemouth conceded each year, which is exactly the one key area we need to strengthen immediately.

We also struggle with our next to non existent midfield and our only existing attacking plan being pass the ball to ASM, inshallah. If ASM has an off day it ends up being hoof it up to Wilson. 

He'll play players in their correct positions, play useful formations and will actually coach players who need it. It's a start.

Martínez left his last two clubs worse than he found them. (Before that at Swansea he did well, managing to do one of the several promotions Howe did).  Howe left Bournemouth two divisions higher and spent 5 years with them three divisions higher.

If we're focusing on the relegation, Martínez took over a PL club and got them relegated within 4 years. Howe took a club into the PL and got them relegated in 5 years.

I was happy with Emery but Martínez v Howe is no contest for me. 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

His teams defensive record is a huge concern, the fact he went down with a better squad than we have now. His last 27 games (which is pretty much what we have left) he failed to win 21 of them and lost 19. He seems to have no plan b, and Bruce annihilated his side 😂

They had an unprecedented amount of injuries that final season by their standards, Howe's talked about it on MNF. Bruce has also annihilated a Brendan Rodgers team, a Manuel Pellegrini team. Doesn't make them any of them less good managers. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

We also struggle with our next to non existent midfield and our only existing attacking plan being pass the ball to ASM, inshallah. If ASM has an off day it ends up being hoof it up to Wilson. 

He'll play players in their correct positions, play useful formations and will actually coach players who need it. It's a start.

If you believe that, then fine, I think he will be an absolute disaster. Time will tell as I think he will be the manager

15 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I'd have preferred Emery given the situation we're in but I've said before that I think the disrespect Howe gets is appalling. In any other country in Europe, a manager who took a club from bottom of the fourth tier to the top flight would have some of the biggest clubs in the land fighting over him.

Disrespect he's getting on here you mean? I think plenty of people have stated that they just feel he's not a good fit for us, especially in our current situation. That's hardly disrespectful.

Hard to argue they've not made a complete horse's arse of this so far, bordering on a public embarrassment. Delays, leaks and questions raised about the vision and direction of the club and the requirements of the main job. 

At best it shows a huge degree of naivety, at worst it looks completely amateurish. Taking their time to get the right bloke was sensible, to still be looking around a month later and being very publically snubbed by their main targets reflects very poorly on Staveley in particular. We all know Charnley's limitations but I had far higher expectations of her and her advisors. They need to get their shit in a pile asap. 

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

The only way they can redeem themselves now is to go all out to get Ten Hag [emoji38]

I’m sure he is anonymously browsing here this minute, thinking about what an amazing opportunity this is and how great the fans are 😆

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not defending the decision by any means, but he's been running the day to day operations if the club for the last few years, he probably has more experience than any of the consortium in football related matters. 

It goes to show how badly we need CEO and a sporting director.

Exactly, who else is going to do it? He's the only senior person at the club presently with any football administration experience. 

It's difficult to overstate what a tiny club Bournemouth are. Their ground holds 11,000 people, and that's after recent expansion. Before Eddie Howe, they had spent their entire history (other than 3 seasons in the 80s) in the 3rd and 4th tiers. 15 years ago, they were on a par with Hartlepool United in terms of size, attendances, history.

I'm afraid "but he got relegated!" doesn't really wash with me. I can't stand this attitude that if I get the Dog and Duck into the Premier League for five seasons then get relegated, that then makes me an unemployable joke.

1 minute ago, midds said:

Hard to argue they've not made a complete horse's arse of this so far, bordering on a public embarrassment. Delays, leaks and questions raised about the vision and direction of the club and the requirements of the main job. 

At best it shows a huge degree of naivety, at worst it looks completely amateurish. Taking their time to get the right bloke was sensible, to still be looking around a month later and being very publically snubbed by their main targets reflects very poorly on Staveley in particular. We all know Charnley's limitations but I had far higher expectations of her and her advisors. They need to get their shit in a pile asap. 

Aye.

Thing is, she did say if they didn’t do a good job, PIF would make sure that they’re not in charge of running things pretty quickly. Wonder how they feel about this today?

1 minute ago, GWN said:

Just come on to have a look, wtf has happened lads ? 

Its all good, we just need to take a step back, apparently.   We have written off 4 games so far but that's okay.  Also with international break coming up will gives us time to find a new manager......its all good.   Oh and Howe was always the preferred choice.........its all good.............its all good...................

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He spent an average of just over 35m a season over his 5 years, that’s was to keep a basically league one club in the top-flight for five seasons, he spent over 10m on over 10 players in that time, the bare basic rate for even some absolute dross at this level and even at Championship level. Factor in they had to also overpay to get targets in. You can’t compare that by saying he had a higher net spend than Liverpool because they didn’t need to spend massively as they mostly had a team full of top players and their net spend is skewered by making a lot of money selling players. There is no doubt he spent money very poorly, but 35m a season to keep a club up with 12k fans at most from a position of league one where it all started is fucking money more than well spent. We spent more than their entire net year spend per season on Joelinton… 

Whilst Howe was at Burnely, Bournemouth massively invested in their infrastructure and stadium/training facilities, as well as their playing squad. They were by far the biggest club in the league at that point. I realise it means very little being a "big" club in that league (snigger) but let's not pretend he took over someone like Newport County and lead them to the premiership.

I don't hate him though, just don't think he'd work out here looking at the shower of shit squad we have. I have no doubt he'd still play Ritchie at the back.

Howe is going to go exactly the same way as nuno. We can spend forever inventing reasons as to why it’s not so bad but it is in fact very bad and we will be sitting here at Xmas wondering where the points are gonna come from. It isn’t a case of write off the owners because circumstances are what they are, but Howe is an immediate bottleneck on the next 18-24 months and players in Europe don’t have the slightest clue who he is or the meekest desire to play for him in a relegation struggle. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

It's difficult to overstate what a tiny club Bournemouth are. Their ground holds 11,000 people, and that's after recent expansion. Before Eddie Howe, they had spent their entire history (other than 3 seasons in the 80s) in the 3rd and 4th tiers. 15 years ago, they were on a par with Hartlepool United in terms of size, attendances, history.

I'm afraid "but he got relegated!" doesn't really wash with me. I can't stand this attitude that if I get the Dog and Duck into the Premier League for five seasons then get relegated, that then makes me an unemployable joke.

Without knowing the specific details he did spend a lot to to get them there didn’t he? Which is more relevant than the size of the club.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

It’s not just that “he got them relegated” if you look at the actual season they pretty much went into free fall and when that happened he had no idea how to stop it. If he is coming in here, he is coming into a worse situation and by far a worse team than that Bournemouth side.

Just now, Rafalove said:

Without knowing the specific details he did spend a lot to to get them there didn’t he? Which is more relevant than the size of the club.

Not necessarily, a club as small as Bournemouth was always going to need a shit load of investment to manage to stay in the PL. The quality of the signings he was able to get was always going to suffer due to the size of the club, so will have had to overspend compared to relative quality. 

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

They had an unprecedented amount of injuries that final season by their standards, Howe's talked about it on MNF. Bruce has also annihilated a Brendan Rodgers team, a Manuel Pellegrini team. Doesn't make them any of them less good managers. 

See him even using injuries as an excuse is an immediate red flag. He spent a lot on that squad and when it went bad he had no idea what to do and they completely fell apart and that is on the manager.

6 minutes ago, the fella said:

Exactly, who else is going to do it? He's the only senior person at the club presently with any football administration experience. 

I'm in no doubt there'll be people out there currently unemployed who are able to come in on a short-term basis that will be way more qualified that that utter cunt.

Get in touch with Peter Kenyon and give him interim control on a decent lump sum, for example