Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Newcastle United will open talks with Eddie Howe over a new contract this summer as reward for rescuing their Premier League season.

Sportsmail understands that, while all parties are relaxed about the situation, there is a realisation that the head coach has only two years to run on the deal he signed when replacing Steve Bruce in November. That is thought to be worth around the £4million per year he previously earned at Bournemouth.

The club’s Saudi-backed owners are delighted with the job Howe has done in taking the team from 19th to the safety of mid-table, reuniting the dressing-room and re-engaging supporters in the process. He has also been shortlisted for Manager of the Year.

Newcastle are set to open talks over a new deal with head coach Eddie Howe in the summer

Howe sees his long-term future at the club and his family plan to move to Newcastle soon

The 44-year-old has forged a good relationship with co-owners Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi, and they will be conscious of other clubs admiring his work.

Howe’s wife and three children will relocate to Newcastle from the south coast in the coming months and he sees his long-term future at St James' Park.

Negotiations are set to commence over the summer and the hope is that Howe will have agreed a new contact by the time next season kicks off in early August.

By then, he will likely have spent the close-season acting as the club’s de facto director of football, with Dan Ashworth’s arrival delayed amid a demand for £5m in compensation from Brighton.

Howe, Staveley, Ghodoussi and chief scout Steve Nickson will take the lead on transfers, although it is expected that the bulk of a limited budget will be reserved for a new striker.

19 hours ago, gbandit said:

I tell you what, I thought I’d never love a manager again like I did with Keegan and Bobby. Hughton was a class act and Rafa incredibly special. Reading those Howe quotes though, knowing who he is as a person, how much he cares and wants it, how he’s clearly a genuinely decent person as well. If we can rise as a club together he’s going to be right up there for me with Keegan and Bobby. Feel proud to have him as a manager. Fuck me, maybe it was worth it after all to suffer for 14 years for what we have now 

The 14 years was our sacrifice, an offering to the football gods, and they have delivered us unto greatness.

Confirmed 7th at worst in the Eddie table which starts November 20th if you count the Brentford game with Tindall on the sidelines.

909278552_eddietable.thumb.jpg.dddffc0cb0327be570e0b05ae8583b7a.jpg

Half the goals conceded were in five heavy defeats City 4 and 5, Liverpool 3, Leicester 4 and Spurs 5. We conceded 16 in the other 21 games.

42 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Confirmed 7th at worst in the Eddie table which starts November 20th if you count the Brentford game with Tindall on the sidelines.

909278552_eddietable.thumb.jpg.dddffc0cb0327be570e0b05ae8583b7a.jpg

Half the goals conceded were in five heavy defeats City 4 and 5, Liverpool 3, Leicester 4 and Spurs 5. We conceded 16 in the other 21 games.

We should have beaten Brentford, Man United, Norwich and Watford at home too. +8 lol…ffs. 

Yest, there are the missed opportunities in there, Everton away too of course, and I would say they cancel out the concerns you could have from us getting so many not-exactly-convincing single goal wins.

Anyway, since that's 2/3 of a season starting with zero confidence and poor fitness, continuing with Wilson out, and then ending on a roll with a very different lineup, I would say that level of points return is sustainable. With further strengthening, I would be very confident of seventh or better next season. The current lot even look capable of it. We've been playing 4-3-3 and tallking about evolution, so if there is no big change in tactics, I can't foresee us upgrading our attack in a way that would threat our newfound defensive stability. 

I'll be sticking a tenner on Howe getting us top 4 next year.

Needs some stars to align - Conte flouncing off, Chelsea starting a rebuild, Ten Hag flopping but there isn't much between 10/11 and 5/6 this season. If you are challenging 5/6 then we need to be ready to take advantage of a slip up. Pardew almost did it ffs. The no Europe is a major plus for anyone trying to hit the top 6

Having said that, top 6 and a good go at the cups will be a success, 7/8 is solid progress but would feel slightly disappointing