Transfer rumours

Yorkie

None of the others we are being linked with and who you would class as being realistic have good goal scoring records either, that’s just the reality of the situation we are in and the players we can currently attract.

Strikers are hard to come by mid-season and I get the feeling that the ones we really like aren't showing much interest or are locked in at their clubs so are going to take time.

Feels like yesterday has created a feeling that someone is better than no-one. Wood's record on the division is decent but his current form doesn't look good at all. If he came in with another higher quality one later in the window then it's palatable.

I'd much rather go into Saturday with Wood over Gayle, like, if that's the only genuine option. Christ, yesterday was deflating.

I wonder if he is generally on the way down and he is declining. Or if it is a case of he wants away and Burnley have been even worse than usual this season. As his goals return for the last four seasons seems more than respectable. Hasn’t had shithouse Barnes up with him, for a start. 

23 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Raw stats don’t tell the whole tale, Wood top goal tally in champ is like 11. For reference Mitro has 22 in 22 right now.

Surely PL goals is a far better barometer than Championship goals when buying a player for the PL

He also got 27 one season in the championship as others have said

Edited by triggs

Just now, ManDoon said:

It is yeah, but removed from any context I would say Woods has always had his strengths played to. With Mitro I would argue he was very new to the league/ then was used badly in his PL seasons. When he’s been played to he’s generally banged them in the championship. 

I think Mitro is a good footballer and would probably do pretty well in a decent team as he does with Serbia and when he does play in the championship but he's been relegated 3 times now as the main striker in bad teams.

This come from Edwards? Suppose we've got to make that £50m stretch. 

We're not targeting the striker of the team who's scored less goals than us ffs. [emoji38]

(We've just signed the 1st choice RB for the La Liga champions) 

Edited by Thumbheed

I think everyone or most is under the same impression. If we get Wood for under 10ish he’d be a good squad player to have. However we should be going out signing the likes of Azmoun from Zenit, a lot more potential, cheaper and better probably. A player I like though is Karim Adeyemi from Salzburg, maybe one more for the summer if we stay up, but he’d be a cracking signing.

1 hour ago, Chrisjraby said:

Wouldn't surprise me, but he's out of contract in the summer I think. Surely they'd take 17 million rather than see him walk? Although I guess if he gets them into the Premier league next season all bets are off

Offer cash plus Gayle 

11 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Just been thinking about these underwhelming players in the Chris Wood sort of lump mould and they all seem to have worked out quite well from memory - Sibierski, Daryl Murphy, Harewood, Rondon. Any others I've missed?

Hendrick, Obertan, Ireland :thup:

Getting highly rated players in January is more likely to take a while, as the clubs will tend to want to try and get as much as possible and also see if they can get other clubs to get involved too.

Really tough situation we're in. Think we should have mainly focused on players running down their contracts that clubs are more likely to be eager to move on, and so there would be more straightforward negotiations. And also perhaps looking for players in lesser leagues where the prices tend to be less and therefore negotiations easier too.

It seems we are aiming for some top echelon players as a starting point to see if any of those could possibly be had at this time, but it's likely to take a while and I'm not sure we can afford to waste too much time with that at this stage.

Strikers really should be the main focus at the minute, as we don't have any available. The likes of Cabral, Morelos, Nketiah, Barbosa, Dembele, Larin and Azmoun seem to be the easiest to negotiate moves for from the strikers we have been linked with, and so we should really be able to select two of the best suited from that list, and get them in quickly now.