Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Just now, STM said:

Tarkowski would drastically improve our defence.

It's also not an either/or situation. We need multiple players in multiple positions.

What does Tarkowski bring then? He seems like a big strong lad, but is he the sort you would want to spend a boatload of money on? I read somewhere that he's not so good at bringing the ball out, so he must be one hell of a defender to compensate for that. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

What does Tarkowski bring then? He seems like a big strong lad, but is he the sort you would want to spend a boatload of money on? I read somewhere that he's not so good at bringing the ball out, so he must be one hell of a defender to compensate for that. 

He brings the fact that he's better than any of our current CBs.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's incredible in the air, and rarely out of position. I'm not convinced he's a "Howe" defender at all though.

12 minutes ago, STM said:

John Stones is one we should be hoying money at. Big loan fee, followed by a summer move.

I don't want us to dwell on any target mind. If clubs start playing silly buggers, move on.

No chance Man City are letting him go in January. Be surprised if they even got rid of Ake never mind Stones

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

He brings the fact that he's better than any of our current CBs.

There's probably quite a few out there tbf. But I was thinking more along the lines of what qualities Howe would be looking for, as hinted by @Shearergol

I haven't seen that much of Burnley's games that's why I'm asking. He seems to have been linked with us ever since the takeover was announced, was not sure if that was because we really want him, or because his contract is running down. 

22 minutes ago, joeyt said:

No chance Man City are letting him go in January. Be surprised if they even got rid of Ake never mind Stones

Exactly. They only have 4 CBs and are in every competition. I dunno where the Ake links come from because he's played quite a bit this season. 

Money talks though and we have lots of it.

I'd be doing everything we could to be getting a few key performers in the league currently. Mings is one of them, Rice another. Both players offering something we have absolutely none of at the back or in midfield, athleticism and physicality.

We've been a soft touch in midfield ever since Tiote to be honest, maybe make an argument for Diame but he didn't play all that much in that position for us, maybe half a season.

Then if you manage to get that into the squad, you pair it up with intelligence and creativity. It's not rocket science. Also 100% the reason West Ham are doing so well. Soucek is the perfect foil for Rice, you can really pick holes in a lot of their squad but the middle where it matters is as solid as anything.

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Money talks though and we have lots of it.

I'd be doing everything we could to be getting a few key performers in the league currently. Mings is one of them, Rice another. Both players offering something we have absolutely none of at the back or in midfield, athleticism and physicality.

We've been a soft touch in midfield ever since Tiote to be honest, maybe make an argument for Diame but he didn't play all that much in that position for us, maybe half a season.

Then if you manage to get that into the squad, you pair it up with intelligence and creativity. It's not rocket science. Also 100% the reason West Ham are doing so well. Soucek is the perfect foil for Rice, you can really pick holes in a lot of their squad but the middle where it matters is as solid as anything.

Mings is minging IMO. Would stay well clear.

Mings has a mistake in him, but he’s a very good all-rounder IMO, very aggressive, has pace, is good in the recovery and can play a bit too. I’d have him here in a heart beat.

Probably unpopular given his form this season but I don’t really think there’s any difference at all between Lascelles and Mings. Mings has more of a Bramble error in him that’s plagued his whole career for me as well. Mings has benefitted from having some really solid players around him whereas Lascelles hasn’t had as much of that luxury. 

Konsa is Villa’s best cb by miles. 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Mings isn't shit :lol:

He absolutely is. 

He would be nowhere near England if he was right footed. He's always got a mistake in him and so often he gets out of jail because he's an impressive athlete. 

Edited by Thiago

2 minutes ago, Thiago said:

He absolutely is. 

He would be near England if he was right footed. He's always got a mistake in him and so often he gets out of jail because he's an impressive athlete. 

Don’t even think Villa fans particularly rate him.

10 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Probably unpopular given his form this season but I don’t really think there’s any difference at all between Lascelles and Mings. Mings has more of a Bramble error in him that’s plagued his whole career for me as well. Mings has benefitted from having some really solid players around him whereas Lascelles hasn’t had as much of that luxury. 

He is left footed which does give him a half rare asset

19 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Mings is quicker for one thing, always seems to have a great game whenever I'm watching. 

If we manage to bring in Trippier, Tarkowski, Ake on loan, Lingard and a back up striker it would be quite the window. I can't see that happening as imagine mistakes will be made in the first window without much guidance, but the ride should be an enjoyable one!

I'd rather see us go for one CB and two fullbacks. Lewis has proven nothing yet so far plus he's more or less our only LB. He hasn't exactly come up against stellar opposition yet. 

But sorting out our central midfield is of the highest priority imo. Sort that out and we'll be stronger defensively automatically. As well as under less pressure. 

Also need someone up front. Preferably one that can play both Wilson's role as well as more of a wider role. Depending on how many we are signing obviously. 

I'd even be "ok" with manquillo. Problem is that we don't have much if he's injured. And I don't mean longterm. I'm just saying that there are weaker areas, or shall I say even higher priority. 

I can't see us signing more than 5 at an absolute maximum, if that. 3-4 more likely. 

Edited by Ikon