The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

5 minutes ago, the fella said:

No way are we signing any quality permanent players. Its loans all the way in January as it should be. Imagine Coutinho on £200k per week in championship on permanent contract FFS.

I wouldn't want Coutinho here full stop.

Either way, I don't see why players wouldn't want to sign permanently for us as long as we pay them the going rate. Look at some of the players Wolves signed while in the championship - there's hungry, ambitious talents that could help us now that would happily take a year in the championship, if that is the situation we end up in, to be part of this project.

In a sport of fine margins we’ve been fucked by every single margin this season and I’ve not once (and over here in America you can see literally every game or many years) seen us have this much randomly horrendous lack of bounce, foul, slip, mare etc from the opposition. I mean everything and I mean everything is going against us thus far. 

38 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Still think theres still plenty of points to play for and I think we’ll spend big in January. 

You say that but who is going to come? Maybe we can get some decent players through loans but even that'll be tricky.  Every Premier League club wants us to go down.

I'm probably a 6. It's more likely than not but once we get that first win on the board I think it'll start looking up. Given Watford's games, we could feasibly be 3 points from safety at 8pm on Saturday, with a game to not fear away at Leicester. We just have to win. :lol: And many things have gone against that win. A look, game by game;

West Ham (h) - Convincing first half performance, Brucetastic fall to bits in the 2nd. They got a pen to make it 2-3 that wasn't a pen.

Aston Villa (a) - Nothing performance really, they should've been down to 10 men however with 20 minutes left.

Southampton (h) - The game where SJP turned on Bruce finally. Dogshit performance but got ahead in stoppage time, Lascelles flies into Armstrong and gives a pen away, 2-2. Shite.

Man Utd (a) - Looking back now this was not the fixture we first feared it was going to be and they've not won at OT in the PL since this game. Had chances at 0-0, but the Bruce classic of playing players out of position cost us.

Leeds (h) - Probably a deserved draw, not much else to say.

Watford (a) - Our best away performance of the season, should've won, had the chances, didn't take them. Murphy's, fml.

Wolves (a) - Deserved defeat.

Spurs (h) - We take the lead against a shit Spurs, in that atmosphere, and we sit off due to that loser's mentality Bruce instilled.

Palace (a) - Shithouse draw, completely undeserved point.

Chelsea (h) - I know they're very good, but this performance and gameplan was fucking pathetic. Another game tossed off when looking for new manager.

Brighton (a) - Their keeper wiping out Wilson was the only thing stopping this from being our first win.

Brentford (h) - Should've won, Darlow made sure we didn't.

Arsenal (a) - Okay first half but players like Ritchie, Lascelles and Krafth playing cost us.

Norwich (h) - Solid defensively finally once we have our best keeper, 2 best CBs and recognised full backs playing where they should be. Unlucky not to win, Clark is at fault tonight. Hope he's launched into the sun.

We also can't just write off these coming games in December. Brighton drew, deservedly, at Anfield. Palace beat Man City at the Etihad. Man Utd are no great shakes. Everton away is a fixture we shouldn't fear. It's not over, we just have to fucking win. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Feel like tonight's match was deja vu - a match which we absolutely had to win but end up saying optimistic things after we scrape a draw.

We do look alright, we're capable of scoring, you can see an impact already under Howe. But we're drawing each time. At some point that needs to stop being seen as a 'brave performance' or 'cause for optimism'.

5 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Feel like tonight's match was deja vu - a match which we absolutely had to win but end up saying optimistic things after we scrape a draw.

We do look alright, we're capable of scoring, you can see an impact already under Howe. But we're drawing each time. At some point that needs to stop being seen as a 'brave performance' or 'cause for optimism'.

Do agree. He just has to stick with that back 4 v Burnley. Bringing Ritchie or Lascelles back in can fuck right off.

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

We can spend however much we want in January. We can deal with whatever consequences might come later. 

That was my optimistic thinking as well. Outspend our relegation rivals on better players, go on a run in the second half of the season and stay up by the skin of our teeth. Does that even makes sense now, though? The last thing we want is to be fleeced for merc's in the January window, still go down and be even more fucked than we are now. :lol: 

I'm up to a 7. It's pretty likely, it'll be some achievement not to now. But with Howe getting some time (he's only had 3 games, drawn 2) and a couple of improvements it's not that unlikely that things click enough for us to go on a run that's say 7 points better than Watford (and 4 better than Norwich/Burnley) do in 24/25 remaining games, or 10 points better than Brentford do.

We just need to get that first win, it's a monkey on our backs. Since Bruce left we've only lost twice, to Chelsea and Arsenal. The foundation is there, hopefully with that back 4 and with 11 on the pitch we can take the game to a naff Burnley side and get that win.

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

In a sport of fine margins we’ve been fucked by every single margin this season and I’ve not once (and over here in America you can see literally every game or many years) seen us have this much randomly horrendous lack of bounce, foul, slip, mare etc from the opposition. I mean everything and I mean everything is going against us thus far. 

I think we've been the luckiest Newcastle side i've ever watched the previous 2 seasons though, i often wished we'd had just a bit of that luck under KK and Bobby. Guess its finally time to be unlucky again.

I agree with others , no permanent signings will be made, I’d be amazed if they do , for the only reason possible, we are rock bottom looking doomed.

It will be loan only and quite rightly imho , however we can go for better loan options than in previous years , a better quality.

forget spending fortunes , not going to happen 

It’s a massive 9 for me. Being optimistic we’ll have 2-3 wins by the New Year at best, more likely 0-1, I just don’t see European form from January which is what’d take to keep us in with a chance. Would 100% stick with Howe to bring us straight back up, though.