Newcastle United vs. Norwich City: 30/11/21 @ 19:30 (Live on Amazon Prime)

South-Cheshire-Toon

1 hour ago, Seamus said:

Norwich here. 'Hopeless and flaps at everything' is as far from our experience of Tim Krul as imaginable. He has conceded buckets this season as under Farke we were defensively inept, but even in the last 3 games (WWD) his saves kept us in it. He did have an occasional habit of playing suicide passes when we played out from the back, but that has now been dropped in favour of him getting the ball further up the pitch. 

He's shite and flaps at everything. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

He's shite and flaps at everything. 

From what i've seen myself this season (which is admittedly limited), and from his time here, this statement is clearly not true.

ASM is a winger. You don't want a number 10 who dribbles every time. ASM doesn't have the vision or work rate to play in the middle.

If Wilson was injured I'd play ASM up front for his pace though.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I personally think ASM has had some of his best games for us through the middle, but he's equally capable out wide. 

We've seen plenty of times that if he beats the midfield line or picks up the ball behind them, he terrifies defences. 

We also need a plan to use the space he creates if teams double or even triple up on him. Seems more often now he's getting crowded out.

Edited by hakka

I'd rather not want to have to see ASM defend and track full backs. Mourinho and Conte had a hard time with enough with Hazard. ASM is no Hazard.

The half hour of ASM being fucked over and run upside down by a Victorian street urchin in a Brighton kit last season is enough to tell me he never need play wide. 

Naturally wide players getting stuck through the middle for me isn't good management, it's like being back Sunday league and sticking the guy upfront because he's a liability anywhere else. Surely they can adjust so someone from midfield can help more on that side if needs be and allow Saint to drift inside and create space and problems but must start from a wide position. 

3 hours ago, Seamus said:

Norwich here. This seems strange as Lewis and Aarons were / are great in an attacking sense for us. Maybe the tactics Toon use? Not great at crosses though

Thanks for contributing. 

And whatever faults he may have as an attacker aren't really relevant here. We need soneone who can defend. That's not Ritchie.

Lewis seems a far better option. Better in defense. Not as good going forward, but not bad.

15 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Not as much as Ritchie does though, surely? 

I'm really not sure. I think we need to break Lewis in or lose him as a player. Ritchie is done. That aside I think Ritchie offers more overall, tbh I can't remember how bad Lewis was but it does seem like a confidence thing like Murphy. If we started him tonight against his old team and he fell to shit then it's over for him. It's why he needs protecting more than anyone.  

10 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I'd like to see Hayden back in tomorrow. If we're playing 4-4-1-1 I just don't see how it works without Hayden.

Any 6 of Fraser, ASM, Shelvey, Wilock, Joelinton, Miggy, Murphy, Wilson can't play in the same team without a ball winner. We're not good enough to have all those offensive players on the pitch at the same time and not look wide open every time the opposition have the ball.

Given how we're all about high press, I don't see how Miggy and Hayden don't become almost automatic starters; they're our most aggressive pressers.

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1

Dubravka

Manquillo

Schar

Fede

Lewis

Hayden

Shelvey

Jo/Fraser

Miggy

ASM

Wilson

You're going to want Joelinton pressing as well. He will run out of gas, but I'd rather have Fraser come on later.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'm really not sure. I think we need to break Lewis in or lose him as a player. Ritchie is done. That aside I think Ritchie offers more overall, tbh I can't remember how bad Lewis was but it does seem like a confidence thing like Murphy. If we started him tonight against his old team and he fell to shit then it's over for him. It's why he needs protecting more than anyone.  

Surely after a takeover we need to find out who is up for the challenge, he's been here for ages now. Yes he will need more than 1 or 2 games after being ignored for so long but if he isn't good enough get him out. Same with every player now.

8 hours ago, r0cafella said:

The system @Rich has posted lacks any form of screen for the defence again. 

We either player with a 3 man midfield or start Hayden imo. 

Given that we're replacing two players in our backline, I'd think that some ptotection is a good idea. Also, I think starting Almiron (his legs) could help out a lot

12 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Surely after a takeover we need to find out who is up for the challenge, he's been here for ages now. Yes he will need more than 1 or 2 games after being ignored for so long but if he isn't good enough get him out. Same with every player now.

Surrounded by better players and coached correctly I'd like to see what he can do but right now when we have 2 must wins do we risk him? I'd be playing him in dead rubber games like arsenal, Chelsea or citeh. Just get him out there and see what happens. If he has a half decent game against a top side then he starts to pick up starts in important games where we need wins. 

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Surrounded by better players and coached correctly I'd like to see what he can do but right now when we have 2 must wins do we risk him? I'd be playing him in dead rubber games like arsenal, Chelsea or citeh. Just get him out there and see what happens. If he has a half decent game against a top side then he starts to pick up starts in important games where we need wins. 

With Ritchie suspended, isn't Lewis the only option we have? Unless we're going to shoehorn Fraser or Almiron into a left wingback role?

Knowing Ritchie would be out when he got booked, one corner of Eddie's mind will have focused on Lewis immediately in preparation for this match. It might be only two days, but Lewis will have received a lot of attention

Edited by Raconteur

3 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Feels like a massive game this, can't remember thinking about and being nervous for a match like this in a long time. Wish I was going.

Agreed, I'm totally bricking it, was happy last night as Derby lost, got up this morning, had to go to the dentist and on the drive there (30 mins) became a bag of nerves just thinking about tonight. Can't imagine what others are going through.

I'd imagine that for the players/staff - they've been there before so shouldn't be a worry for them. 

Christ - even typing this is making my stomach turn.

It's like one of those sci-fi movies, when they send a rocket up to destroy an asteroid or the like, the missiles in the air - we now just have to wait until 21:20 or thereabouts to see if it's hit.

Hopefully we'll know long before then that it's on target to be destroyed.

Am predicting a 3-1 home win.

Edited by South-Cheshire-Toon