Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

It’s his outstanding leadership that makes me swoon 

He absolutely dictates what’s happening on the pitch in terms of our reactions, motivations and belief 

Can’t recall anyone we’ve ever had who was as good as he is when it comes to managing the in-game psychology of the team  

The constant debate about who the fuck our best player is and the lack of any consensus at all (because there's so many good ones) is such a novelty. :lol: Genuinely don't think we've had it this good. Even in 11/12 I think a narrow majority on here would've probably still said Ben Arfa.

I don't think Trippier is our best overall because - cliche time - he's got a rick in him, and his set pieces drive me mad at times; but he's obviously brilliant and I would argue that he's got the best first touch in the squad (among other excellent qualities).

6 hours ago, Ace said:

I love Tripps but do Bruno, Isak and Botman not play for us? 

It's only my opinion, but Trippier has controlled far more of our games than Bruno has (and I love Bruno before anyone starts!). He is our main creative outlet and the player we look to to get us out of trouble. He does all this from right back, and is also part of the best defence in the league. I think Bruno has to start dominating more games more often (like he did against Spurs) to be considered on the same world class level.

Based on what we've seen from Isak so far in a Newcastle shirt he's probably a top 5 striker in the world, mind :lol:. If he keeps this level up then it's not going to be a discussion soon. 

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

It’s his outstanding leadership that makes me swoon 

He absolutely dictates what’s happening on the pitch in terms of our reactions, motivations and belief 

Can’t recall anyone we’ve ever had who was as good as he is when it comes to managing the in-game psychology of the team  

Exactly this.

Whether he is our best player or not, there's no question to me that Trippier was our most important signing last season.

He came into a terrible situation, scored some crucial goals, and helped galvanise a demoralised squad. And he did the latter bit off the pitch after breaking his foot comically early on in his career here. Even now, you see the difference when he is on the pitch.

If you're going to ask who saved us from near certain relegation, set the standards and gave us a platform for this incredible season it's Howe and him.

That's the thing, he's doing all he's doing from RB. I take the point about occasional ricks but unlike others, they get noticed with him because he operates from one of the most defensively vulnerable parts of the pitch - they can't just be swept up by Joelinton or Botman and forgotten. Guimaraes, and obviously I love him, does usually have one or two fuckups per match, it's just they don't immediately result in a cross whizzing past the face of our goal.

17 hours ago, Smal said:

It's only my opinion, but Trippier has controlled far more of our games than Bruno has (and I love Bruno before anyone starts!). He is our main creative outlet and the player we look to to get us out of trouble. He does all this from right back, and is also part of the best defence in the league. I think Bruno has to start dominating more games more often (like he did against Spurs) to be considered on the same world class level.

Based on what we've seen from Isak so far in a Newcastle shirt he's probably a top 5 striker in the world, mind :lol:. If he keeps this level up then it's not going to be a discussion soon. 

It was more the by a distance part I was shocked at. Thinking he’s our best player is reasonable, to say he’s miles ahead of others is OTT. 

18 hours ago, Rich said:

Botman's not even our best centre-half. Fair arguments on the other two, but Trippier's right in the conversation with them.

Think you are distracted by Schars good looks or long balls to think that 😀

For a first year CB Botman has been about as good as you could hope for. Schar has played well but is more prone to mistakes and his fake injuries when making a mistake is annoying. 

33 minutes ago, Ace said:

Schar has played well but is more prone to mistakes and his fake injuries when making a mistake is annoying. 

What fake injuries after mistakes?

Botman will have a better career but Schär has been better this season and carries a lot bigger burden on our defense. Botman is usually protected by Burn while Schär has to sweep for Trippier who plays almost as a winger when we are in possession. Schär also contributes more to our attack by a mile compared to Botman.

2 hours ago, Pata said:

What fake injuries after mistakes?

Botman will have a better career but Schär has been better this season and carries a lot bigger burden on our defense. Botman is usually protected by Burn while Schär has to sweep for Trippier who plays almost as a winger when we are in possession. Schär also contributes more to our attack by a mile compared to Botman.

If he makes a mistake he goes down ‘injured’ the most recent one was vs spurs he played a bad pass and went down ‘hurt’. 

When Trippier plays like a winger as you say we go more to a 3 so Schar covers him as Sven covers Schar. In more recent games where Burn has pushed on a bit I have lost count of the amount of times Sven has covered across. 

49 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Son and Salah in team of the season? :lol:

In fairness to Salah, he's on course to have his second best ever goal return in a season for Liverpool. Son though is just bizarre. 

17 minutes ago, Decky said:

In fairness to Salah, he's on course to have his second best ever goal return in a season for Liverpool. Son though is just bizarre. 

Big club bias as ever

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Are we allowed to say his set pieces are shit yet? Been dreadful for a long time now. Corners especially.

It's absolutely infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Are we allowed to say his set pieces are shit yet? Been dreadful for a long time now. Corners especially.

Have been for ages. Thought he dealt with Martinelli fairly well today overall tbf to him.

he put one right on Schar’s head and Schar hit it straight at Ramsdale tbf.

I don’t know what world people live in where every corner is dangerous. Literally like 3% are scored or something.