Sven Botman

The Prophet

26 minutes ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I absolutely love him, Schar and Burn together. Eddie has taken a top drawer CB (Botman), a real sleeper (Schar) and a solid, old school lump (Burn) and got them playing like prime Woodgate, Colo and Albert.

Probably a reflection on Botman on how much Schar has improved by being next to him.

Don't agree with that. Schar has always been class and looked it last season next to Burn too. 

The feelings of vindication re Bruce have all but dissipated now, a year on, but Schar's performances tend to bring them right back to the front of your mind. It was clear as day that he was the most gifted defender in the squad so it's immensely satisfying seeing the best of him now in a set-up that respects his talents and gets the best out of him. I love the bloke; he's easily one of my favourite ever Newcastle CBs. Prime Colo is still my numero uno and I'll always have a soft spot for Lascelles between 2016-18, but Fab's right up there. 

He's due a goal n'all. Might start piling on when we come back. 

Schar has always been class. It was a travesty that he wasn’t playing under the Cabbage. But I did used to think he was more rash and prone to errors before Howe came in. 

Just having some structure and coaching has made him even better. Probably helps that he now has players on the same wavelength as him and all. 

Schar has been our player of the season, IMO. £3.5m :lol: 

19 hours ago, 54 said:

Remember when Bruce said Schar couldn't play in a back 4, so never picked him, good times.

Mental isn’t it and just highlights what a complete knacker Bruce was.

With Schar and Botman at the back the composure on the ball is just immense. Same goes I guess for Trippier and Burn. The way Botman and Schar spray balls and deliver quick incisive passing from the back is great to watch and amazingly effective for our play. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Just weak one on one and lacking a yard or more pace sadly.

Love you man but you’re just patently wrong here. 

Botman has the true and final upside, but Schar is absolutely our best defender at the moment. 

Edited by cubaricho

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Love you man but you’re just patently wrong here. 

Botman has the true and final upside, but Schar is absolutely our best defender at the moment. 

Disagree but each to their own. I always feel Schär struggles with people running at him or the ball over the top.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Disagree but each to their own. I always feel Schär struggles with people running at him or the ball over the top.

+1 for the couldn't disagree strongly enough. Schar has been top class for us and dovetails perfectly with Botman. Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that Schar is being weak, when he's part of our best CB pairing, possibly ever.

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

+1 for the couldn't disagree strongly enough. Schar has been top class for us and dovetails perfectly with Botman. Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that Schar is being weak, when he's part of our best CB pairing, possibly ever.

He’s been very good, not disputing that but he does have the two weaknesses I’ve mentioned when up against the top teams. As a unit we have been great apart from Man City who caused us trouble and only time we’ve looked edgy and to a lesser extent Liverpool and even lesser extent Spurs & Chelsea. Which are the teams you judge your players against when claiming top class.

It is possible for someone to be very good yet have flaws. Don’t be so precious 🙂

• 1 month later...

As I said in the matchday thread. The stream I had was shit, so hard to judge. But yet again, I didn’t notice Botman much. Apart from a few tackles where he tidied up really well. 

Just goes about his business so efficiently all the while and rarely puts a foot wrong.

In summary. He is fucking mint.