Sven Botman

The Prophet

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I've got little to no interest in European leagues really. I just can't be bothered following podcasts, YouTube channels, internet and magazine articles to keep myself updated. I'll watch the CL and that's about it. But Kaka's posts make sure I'm kept in the loop with all the gossip. It's perfect. I must remember to thank him.

I know absolutely nothing about most players even here in England, I’ve mainly followed England the last few years, so it’s always good to get an insight into players I’ve not heard of our seen playing even if we are not linked, like Kaka with the new Forest striker.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I know absolutely nothing about most players even here in England, I’ve mainly followed England the last few years, so it’s always good to get an insight into players I’ve not heard of our seen playing even if we are not linked, like Kaka with the new Forest striker.

Same man. I'd never even heard of Bruno Guimarães until we were linked with him. And despite never seeing him play I was really hoping we'd sign him based on what folk on here were saying about him.

That being said this place doesn't get it right all the time (nowt wrong with that). I remember a good few on here bigging up Fonseca for the job in November and I had a quick browse of his managerial career and he already seems to be a journeyman of manager for someone so young. Can't help but think he's probably a little bit crap. 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Same man. I'd never even heard of Bruno Guimarães until we were linked with him. And despite never seeing him play I was really hoping we'd sign him based on what folk on here were saying about him.

That being said this place doesn't get it right all the time (nowt wrong with that). I remember a good few on here bigging up Fonseca for the job in November and I had a quick browse of his managerial career and he already seems to be a journeyman of manager for someone so young. Can't help but think he's probably a little bit crap. 

Proves my point actually. Just double checked Fonseca on wiki there and he's 49. Thought he was younger than that, he must be moisturising twice a day everyday. Still though, I reckon he's pap. (based on next to no research) 

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aye I’m getting giddy at anyone we are linked with I don’t know and going to watch clips of them or read up on them, that’s never happened in 14 years!

24 minutes ago, Reblancks said:

Look, I'm not a journalist or like many charlatans who pass themselves off as a transfer market analyst.
I rely on the interview he left the player to espn the netherlands which is clear to me, and on the fact that newcastle certainly has more money than Milan. I am pretty sure that the amount of money circulating is less than that circulating in the newspapers.
Journalists in both England and Italy like to invent fantasies

Fair enough, just felt contradictory that was all.

Outside of any specifics, the truth is Milan is clearly the better of the two options currently, and we are relying more on players to help us build what we think we can be (hopefully).

Not everyone will buy into that, some will think they are already at the stage of needing European football so these will unfortunately pass on the project here.

And you won't catch me lending any credibility to UK sports journalism, it's the pits!

30 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Guess it is understandable that we ingest a bit of the hype around potential signings and mix it in with the hope we (now) have for the progression of our team. Nowt wrong with hoping for the best. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Guess it is understandable that we ingest a bit of the hype around potential signings and mix it in with the hope we (now) have for the progression of our team. Nowt wrong with hoping for the best. 

Definitely not.

Just now, BeloEmre said:

I can’t believe we haven’t told him to fuck off yet if that’s true. So much for wanting the right players, players who wants to play for our club etc.

‘If that’s true’…. No one fucking knows.

Lots of speculation aye. But it doesn’t exactly feel like Botman has been pushing for his move to us. Neither do I think we haven’t offered what Lille  are willing to accept.

Seems pretty certain that Milan won’t stump up the cash. Which makes me think Botman wants to go there.

Edited by Ikon

Just now, Ikon said:

Lots of speculation aye. But it doesn’t exactly feel like Botman has been pushing for his move to us. Neither do I think we haven’t offered what likle are willing to accept.

He’s been on international duty and went straight on holiday. If we sign him sharpish there’s nothing to suggest he didn’t want to come?

Just now, STM said:

It's like we are stuck in a time loop.

One were we need to put a final line under (same with Etitke), either accept what we're offering or we are going elsewhere. Looks like their current clubs maybe getting fed up also. As I said yesterday if Milan want him then put up the money. Looks like they can't match our offer though and Lille are not pushovers. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He’s been on international duty and went straight on holiday. If we sign him sharpish there’s nothing to suggest he didn’t want to come?

Maybe. If we do/did sign him sharpish. I’m just speculating. Also, it’s not like players don’t leave their duties to sign contracts if they very much want it done.

My guess is that he’s biding  his time and would much prefer a move to Italy . Without yet turning us down.

Edited by Ikon

14 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

Top posts mate but I feel I have to pull you on this bit.

”auctions” though I disagree with the that terms use in this instance is literally Maldinis job for you guys. You can’t just slap a take it or leave it offer in front of a player just because there is multiple interest from other clubs. Also expecting players to choose Milan because of the stature of the club rather than the financial package involved smacks of arrogance rather than brinksmanship. 

It is actually a frustrating habit (for many fans) that Maldini has in his negotiations. Milan has lost out on many targets because he doesn't deviate from the initial offer very much--the idea of Maldini heavily relying on data to make his selections, with a huge analytics team and insulated scouting to prevent bias in evaluations, is the centerpiece of his approach.

We missed out on players that most fans have wanted, the only one I, personally, wish we had was Wesley Fofana. Before breaking his leg, he was an amazing CB.

Maldini sells players on Milan, the club. He tells players that you can develop here, and that's why they come to Milan. Players he has recruited have not left the club, our loss of free players like Donnaruma, Kessie, and Hakan, those were players brought in from previous regimes, while Donnaruma is widely reported to have bluffed with Maldini to get a larger wage, which Maldini was annoyed with after Donnaruma and his agent (Raiola) continued to press for insane wages, when he was already one of the highest paid keepers in Europe. Maldini was ruthless with our homegrown talent. We desperately needed a RW in the summer, identified an underrated talent from Brest in France, there was some haggling, and then the player stopped going to training and made some inflammatory interviews. Maldini dropped his interest immediately.

I'm not sure why you seem upset that Maldini is recruiting players who want to do more than just get paid the most, he's selling players are becoming legends. Also, it should be noted, that in Italy, the current tax laws allow you to pay 50% less tax than you would in other European countries. My own personal socio-economic views on the viability of this law to trigger economic growth in Italy (or anywhere) aside, it allows Italian teams to have a sizable economic advantage over other clubs, even EPL clubs.

Wages in England are reported before taxes, while in Italy they are reported after taxes, it seems that many times what is seen as "undercutting" is really about having different financial figures.

Maldini is a notoriously humble man, he is confident, yes, but he is widely seen as a gentleman of the game. I don't think he is arrogant, but I may be biased--though it should be said that his positive view is widely held in Italy, of that, I am sure. Perhaps in England he is perceived differently? Regardless, Maldini pursues players who want more than just money--he also rewards players who prove themselves, which is why he is extending our key players, doubling and tripling their salaries.

Milan do not run on glamor like Real, nor do they operate with the fame of Man Utd, what Milan emphasizes its DNA, which is to push innovation (not always successfully, of course) in terms of tactics, to win with style, but most relevant to this discussion: that Milan is a family. Players who stayed short periods at Milan cried when they left, like notorious hard man Marco Van Bommel or Zambrotta, who made his reputation with Juventus rather than Milan, he also cried.

Milan is a big club that has a fanbase with a passion usually only found in lower league teams--which is a characteristic I think Newcastle shares with Milan, to be honest. Milan is historically the club of the working class side of Milan (the city) who play beautifully and value skill, while Inter, the club of the elite, play ugly and defensively. Correct me if I am wrong, the north of England is known for its hardy people, but Newcastle is not associated (at least in my mind) with hard-nosed defenders, rather, I think of Ginola, Shearer, and a fanbase that loves a gangly attacker capable of a flash of brilliance like Shola, Lualua, Ben Arfa, and the eternal "if he only got it together" Robert, or Saint-Maximin now? I'm not saying those are your best players in your history, but, those are the ones that come to mind for me--I associate attack with Newcastle, which points to the unique mix that makes Newcastle, well, Newcastle.

Maldini is selling players on being part of what makes Milan, Milan. He's telling them you can go to Real or Barca, but they churn through their players, don't remember them, but at Milan? You can rebuild Milan, with me, and become a legend for people. It's a hell of sales pitch.

Frankly speaking, I think Newcastle should be selling what it means to represent Newcastle when they are dealing with players. I get the sense (from reading here) that there isn't the same point person to recruit players. I'd be happy to work for you, if anyone knows where I can send my CV, let me know, lol.

I have great respect for Newcastle, your fans, and your club, so my advocacy for Milan I hope isn't seen as a contrast to Newcastle, because I'm not the biggest Botman fan, but I do enjoy talking to you all, quite frankly. I hope that after this summer, we continue to chat, before trading CL final wins back-and-forth. Cheers!