Sven Botman set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absolute waste if we're not pairing Schar and Botman. With them two at the back, Bruno in the anchor role, Joelinton constantly offering in the way he does and then Wilson's strength and balance up top, we've the potential to be able to dictate possession against anyone. Stick Lascelles in there and you lose an element of that control cos he just doesn't have the composure or technique on the ball. 

Howe playing the long game of loyalty and squad harmony by playing the club captain against his former club and still getting a win, as opposed to the immediate gratification of the collective willies of N-O.

6 minutes ago, James said:

Howe playing the long game of loyalty and squad harmony by playing the club captain against his former club and still getting a win, as opposed to the immediate gratification of the collective willies of N-O.

Nice sentiment, but there’s no place for it in the Premier League. Plus, our (varying) preferences obviously have no influence on what Howe et al see as their strongest line-up against Forest. 

2 hours ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Botman just another legend in the making for us

Who's next on the conveyor belt after Trippier, Joe, Bruno, Sven ?

What a time to be a Newcastle supporter.

We also now know that the Botman’s of this world  wont be sold on unless the club chooses to move them on.

2 hours ago, James said:

Actually think now that Botman and Lascelles will start the season.

I don’t think you would play two centre backs together if they haven’t been playing together pre season. Botman was partnered with Lascelles last two games.

add to that thatLascelles remains club captain and will therefore need games, with Forest being his first club.

There's a possibility you are right on this one.

I think people may be sick to their stomachs when they find that there's a chance Botman was seen as an ideal partner for Lascelles.

Lascelles is our best defender when it comes to heading the ball in both boxes, and I think Howe values the set piece ability as well as his leadership. He is a similar mould to Steve Cook, who Howe had paired with Nathan Ake at Bournemouth. Ake took the ball playing responsibilities in that partnership with Cook, while Cook kept things simple with the ball. Cook was great in the air and was the leader and captain too.

Don't think Howe necessarily feels he needs two ball playing defenders back there. In the Schar and Burn partnership, Burn is the more aggressive defender that provides better aerial ability and leadership, while Schar takes the ball playing responsibilities.

I think these are the two pairs that Howe will use for the most part. And so I think people should at least prepare themselves for this possibility and start working themselves up for a proper whingefest come the first game.

Edited by KaKa

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

There's a possibility you are right on this one.

I think people may be sick to their stomachs when they find that there's a chance Botman was seen as an ideal partner for Lascelles.

Lascelles is our best defender when it comes to heading the ball in both boxes, and I think Howe values the set piece ability as well as his leadership. He is a similar mould to Steve Cook, who Howe had paired with Nathan Ake at Bournemouth. Ake took the ball playing responsibilities in that partnership with Cook, while Cook kept things simple with the ball. Cook was great in the air and was the leader and captain too.

Don't think Howe necessarily feels he needs two ball playing defenders back there. In the Schar and Burn partnership, Burn is the more aggressive defender that provides better aerial ability and leadership, while Schar takes the ball playing responsibilities.

I think these are the two pairs that Howe will use for the most part. And so I think people should at least prepare themselves for this possibility and start working themselves up for a proper whingefest come the first game.

Sad if true. 

Lacelles is such an liability and an big downgrade from schar and burn. 

I reckon Howe has been quite clever the front 5 from Atalanta game and the midfield and forward line from Bilbao game (except Almiron for Ritchie) will be the line up for Forest game

Imo he has the defence playing together and the majority of midfield and forwards playing together over the two games.

Possibly because Atalanta are more dangerous going forward and Bilbao are strong at the back

just random thinking but possibly the reason Almiron played the Atalanta game was Howe wanted to see Almiron link up with Trippier again. 

i could be a manager :lol:

Edited by gdm

One thing I will say about Lascelles is at least he’s a specimen physically; has great recovery pace and a goal threat on set-pieces. He did look decent when Rafa paired him with someone extremely calm, composed and positionally brilliant in Lejeune, so I can understand the thinking in partnering him with Botman.

Big BUT though, Lascelles’ positioning and reading of the game in defense is genuinely horrible. I am impressed by how much better on the ball he’s looked in pre-season but he’s still miles away from Schar and Burn in that regard.

Edited by McCormick

There’s no way the eventual duo wont be Botman and Schar unless proven otherwise. Burn is good but Botman a class above in every department. Botman is also very good in the box on set pieces too. 

I personally think Forest is the perfect game for Botman to start. Their forward line will be unfamiliar with physical demands of the Premier League. 

That said Howe eased Bruno in and Burn-Schar were developing a nice understanding towards the end of last season. I trust Eddie's call either way.

Guest reefatoon

Botman will start. He has had all pre season to integrate, it’s a totally different scenario to when we signed Bruno in the middle of the season.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I personally think Forest is the perfect game for Botman to start. Their forward line will be unfamiliar with physical demands of the Premier League. 

That said Howe eased Bruno in and Burn-Schar were developing a nice understanding towards the end of last season. I trust Eddie's call either way.

Howe eased Bruno in because he came in the middle of the season. Botman had a full pre-season with the team. No reason not to start him on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

Howe eased Bruno in because he came in the middle of the season. Botman had a full pre-season with the team. No reason not to start him on Saturday.

Fair point, I just don't think it would be particularly surprising. Perhaps Howe thinks that the amount of sexual line breaking passes from a Schar-Botman pair would be too much.

3 hours ago, James said:

Actually think now that Botman and Lascelles will start the season.

I don’t think you would play two centre backs together if they haven’t been playing together pre season. Botman was partnered with Lascelles last two games.

add to that thatLascelles remains club captain and will therefore need games, with Forest being his first club.

Lascelles couldn’t get a start ahead of Schar and Burn, there’s no way he should be picked against Forest. Start of last season Lascelles gave away something like 3 penalties in the 1st 4 games or so.

Got to be Botman and Schar. 

I'm not defending Lascelles whatsoever, as he is certainly our 4th choice CB but I imagine Lascelles suffered alot from our famously poor pre season last year.

When on form, his defending is OK. It's his ability on the ball which let's him down.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Interesting the other day that he says he spoke to one ex-NUFC player about moving here, and it was Kluivert rather than Ben Arfa.

Didn’t he come up the Dutch youth teams with Justin?

On 31/07/2022 at 14:02, STM said:

I'm not defending Lascelles whatsoever, as he is certainly our 4th choice CB but I imagine Lascelles suffered alot from our famously poor pre season last year.

When on form, his defending is OK. It's his ability on the ball which let's him down.

Everyone suffered under Steve Bruce, we all did. Lascelles speed of thought is his biggest limitation though, he could well be far fitter and stronger than he’s been in previous seasons but his reading of what’s going on and making decisions for himself when we’re under pressure will always be an Achilles heel.

Botman on the other hand reads everything wonderfully while also having the physical element. There’s such a gulf between them.