Lucas Digne

Just now, r0cafella said:

He’s a Low cost option for them, Rafa has obviously worked with him before and can get a tune of out of him. Your also imagine he would be able to slot right in knowing Rafa style and system.

You could say the same about Rondon though, and he’s failed and the fans hate him. 

In theory you’re right, and fair enough if his budget is zero. But I just think he needs to be careful about how it looks and whether it will help his case. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You could say the same about Rondon though, and he’s failed and the fans hate him. 

In theory you’re right, and fair enough if his budget is zero. But I just think he needs to be careful about how it looks and whether it will help his case. 

Haha indeed. Rondon hasn’t worked out at all thus far. 

I mean ultimately beggars can’t be choosers. 

All speculation, but him saying he prefers London sounds like a hopeful "come and get me" to clubs that probably can't afford him. He could make it happen by lowering his wage demands, and may have to if he messes about and misses the NUFC train, which presumably will have departed Leftback Station comfortably before the window closes. Most players won't take a pay cut, and his Mr 10% will probably be talking him out of it. Alternatively, "I prefer London" could of course equal "please pay me more NUFC".

Chelsea would probably have to move on Alonso, who is also on 100k. If they sign Digne, Reece James becomes the fifth best paid Chelsea full back. He may be sixth behind Emerson. Lots of potential for an Ashley Cole "I nearly crashed my car!" there. 

12 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

Happy to be proven wrong, but all of the noise is that Digne doesn't really wanna join us, so I can't see this happening.

IMO, his agent wants a bidding war. We've got the biggest motivation to spend and maybe even the most to spend as well. It makes sense to talk us down.

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

IMO, his agent wants a bidding war. We've got the biggest motivation to spend and maybe even the most to spend as well. It makes sense to talk us down.

Simpler than that, he wants to go London, he's 28 so doesn't want to be 3 yrs in a project when he could well be shunted on before it comes to fruition and has an Immediate shot at the Champions league.

Just now, madras said:

Simpler than that, he wants to go London, he's 28 so doesn't want to be 3 yrs in a project when he could well be shunted on before it comes to fruition and has an Immediate shot at the Champions league.

Agent wants a bidding war, it'll go to end of the month.

49 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Depends which Sean Longstaff they get. If they get the Sean Longstaff who Man Utd. were interested in under Rafa it's a risk worth taking. If they get the Sean Longstaff we've had since Rafa left it will probably lead to Rafa's sacking

I was thinking along similar lines.   What on earth has Rafa seen in Longstaff recently that makes him think there's a premier level midfielder there?   I knew the Longstaff's had been completely destroyed by our previous bacon muncher but didn't realise how much.   I thought once we got rid of bruce then Sean would be reborn but hasn't turned out that way.

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

If he prefers London, then it's a 'no thanks' from me. Either buy into what the club is trying to do, or bugger off elsewhere.

They always say you need to bring in the right type of character for this club, and someone who wants to be in London is definitely not. He should take the lower wage and sign for West Ham. 

3 minutes ago, morpeth mag said:

Evening Standard reporting Digne's wages too high for WHU, especially given that Cresswell returns soon. 

That didn't take long. Digne may be lucky in that we need bodies in quick and have Monopoly money to pay big wages. Otherwise we'd be well placed to string him along and sign him on less than his demanded wages as the window closed. Normally out-of-favour players get deals that treat them as damaged goods.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

They always say you need to bring in the right type of character for this club, and someone who wants to be in London is definitely not. He should take the lower wage and sign for West Ham. 

I don't think having a city you prefer to live in is really a question of character. Maybe if we were a CL club and he was turning us down. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think having a city you prefer to live in is really a question of character. Maybe if we were a CL club and he was turning us down. 

I said character for this club for that reason. A lot of players from France/Spain/Italy want to be in London, that doesn't mean that they don't have character, just means that they are the wrong characters for Newcastle. Perhaps the wrong choice of phrase.

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, iwantcurlyhairtoo said:

Looks slightly more complicated than initially thought.

So we want to keep him but have offered him to Everton, they know fuck all these journos. Make your mind up…

Edited by HTT II

19 minutes ago, iwantcurlyhairtoo said:

Looks slightly more complicated than initially thought.

How the hell can he start that with 'for clarity' and then completely contradict what he originally said? That's not clarification, perhaps he should start tweets with 'for confusion'