Lucas Digne

“Prefers London” is a red flag for me.

also dropped by Rafa presumably for balance reasons as Rafa likes a defence minded LB.

personally having signed Trippier I think the balance isn’t great unless we play a back 5

6 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I did quite enjoy that window when we signed Debuchy, Sissoko, Yanga-Mbiwa, Gouffran and Haidara 

Apart from McClaren who I was severely disappointed about, I was very impressed with the Mitrovic, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and Mbemba window. It was a new spine and four of the most highly rated young players in Europe. Carr was also had a lot of credibility in the bank.

just goes to show how vital the right manager is.

2 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

think maybe it's taken out of context that he does not want to come here?

Same. I think people are reading, "Digne prefers Chelsea" as, "Digne does not want to come to Newcastle."

Whereas he may be totally open to the idea of signing for us, but would prefer a move to London should the opportunity arise. 

With agents involved so much these days I don't believe any club would make offers for players if they haven't first asked if they would be interested in the move (unless it's the last few hours of the transfer window) 

9 minutes ago, Ben said:

With agents involved so much these days I don't believe any club would make offers for players if they haven't first asked if they would be interested in the move (unless it's the last few hours of the transfer window) 

Staveley and rafa backhand deal in the nufc takeover 2019 WhatsApp group 😂

Reckon he’ll string us along for a while until a better (current) suitor comes calling. If no one matches our bid,  a couple of good signings and a win or 2 during the window could do a lot to change his mind.

Easy to forget we’re still odds-on to go down right now; can’t blame players for being a bit wary.

1 hour ago, James said:

“Prefers London” is a red flag for me.

also dropped by Rafa presumably for balance reasons as Rafa likes a defence minded LB.

personally having signed Trippier I think the balance isn’t great unless we play a back 5

Was dropped for criticizing Rafa's playstyle. 

If Everton accept our offer he will talk to us I'm sure, it's a no brainer swapping Everton as a place to live to Newcastle, but most of these lot live in Cheshire. 

The only thing that I genuinely think is not in our favour is our current league position, but again surely that can be resolved in the contract.

15 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Reckon he’ll string us along for a while until a better (current) suitor comes calling. If no one matches our bid,  a couple of good signings and a win or 2 during the window could do a lot to change his mind.

Easy to forget we’re still odds-on to go down right now; can’t blame players for being a bit wary.

We're not though. Norwich, Burnley and Watford are.

5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Bench for Everton or bench for Chelsea? Easy choice. 

If he wants to play for France in the WC in the summer he aint going to get selected if he isnt playing and if Chelsea do sign him it wont be as first choice more likely as cover for the current LB incumbent!

14 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

If he wants to play for France in the WC in the summer he aint going to get selected if he isnt playing and if Chelsea do sign him it wont be as first choice more likely as cover for the current LB incumbent!

Interestingly he missed out on the squad for the WC win in 2018, so maybe this plays into his thinking. He’s 28, limited number of tournaments left…

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Large risk for Rafa to sign Longstaff like. Not sure he even would get a game for Everton. 

He’s a Low cost option for them, Rafa has obviously worked with him before and can get a tune of out of him. Your also imagine he would be able to slot right in knowing Rafa style and system.

32 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I bet they can hardly contain themselves on that Everton forum at the prospect of signing Longstaff,as if the toxicity needs ramping up on there 🤣

Depends which Sean Longstaff they get. If they get the Sean Longstaff who Man Utd. were interested in under Rafa it's a risk worth taking. If they get the Sean Longstaff we've had since Rafa left it will probably lead to Rafa's sacking