More transfer rumours

midds

3 hours ago, STM said:

Gosens "I never considered it". 

Also Gosens "I had to way up the pros and cons".

Fucking muppet. The reason we didn't sign him and Bakker is that Targett became available on loan and it was a safer option.

:lol: some of you are so precious.

2 hours ago, STM said:

There was never a bid for him.

There was, and apparently it was a lot more money than he's getting at Milan, but he chose to go there for his career prospects. Only on loan mind, so nothing to say he wouldn't come in the summer if we stay up.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

There was, and apparently it was a lot more money than he's getting at Milan, but he chose to go there for his career prospects. Only on loan mind, so nothing to say he wouldn't come in the summer if we stay up.

Loan with obligation to buy if conditions met.

4 hours ago, Nine said:

What’s most interesting about that is Gosens style as a LB is almost the mirror opposite to what we ended up with in Targett. Very much so a full on attacking LB that can also play LW, makes me wonder how far down the list of players Targett actually was.

I think Howe wanted to play 3-4-3 and hence why we were after 2 CB (one who is left footed) and a left side player like Gosen. I'm not sure how much his tactics changed and so went after Targett but it will be interesting to see his long-term tactics. I personally like 3-4-3 as it provides more defensive control and if combined with a high press game could be very productive in front of goal (ala Atlanta).

1 hour ago, LRD said:

Loan with obligation to buy if conditions met.

Source? 

I have found conflicting reports on the web. Most say nothing, a few more say no option to buy at all (straight loan) and there may be one obligation to buy article but its locked behind athletic pay wall. 

2 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Is it a match day injury or underlining one ?

Match day - adductor (groin) injury. It might be a tear which would need surgery and he'd be out for 4 months. It's the kind of injury you get after a sprint, he'd only been on the field 14 minutes (he's coming back from injury not sure what but don't think this is a recurrence). 

Obviously we are going to buy a few superstars in the summer however looking at it I’d quite like us to explore for example Chelsea. They’ve produced the likes of Lamptey, Ake, Livramento,  and many more that other clubs have picked up. I wouldn’t mind if we invested in some youth as well as the academy next summer but they’ve got a few players that could be nicked off them like Armando Broja obviously there were some rumours in January, Faustino Anjorin attacking midfielder who’s highly rated. They’ve got 2 left backs that are young and promising in Levi Colwill and Ian Maatsen. Ethan Ampadu a change of scenery for him and first team opportunities could be what he needs. Just a thought…

54 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

Obviously we are going to buy a few superstars in the summer however looking at it I’d quite like us to explore for example Chelsea. They’ve produced the likes of Lamptey, Ake, Livramento,  and many more that other clubs have picked up. I wouldn’t mind if we invested in some youth as well as the academy next summer but they’ve got a few players that could be nicked off them like Armando Broja obviously there were some rumours in January, Faustino Anjorin attacking midfielder who’s highly rated. They’ve got 2 left backs that are young and promising in Levi Colwill and Ian Maatsen. Ethan Ampadu a change of scenery for him and first team opportunities could be what he needs. Just a thought…

I like the idea but think maybe we should target clubs more like PSG rather than Chelsea or a Man City. All those players you mention are good but none are Champions League level (at least yet, maybe Ake might be), otherwise they would still be at Chelsea.

PSG on the other hand are adamant on big names so have let go of Kingsley Coman, Rabiot, Nkunku and Moussa Diaby, all world class players worth £40-50m+. I don't know if PSG have anyone else not getting game time but we should definitely have a good poke around.

If I could only buy ONE player for Newcastle this summer who I think would make the biggest difference to the club, I'm inclined to go for Christopher Nkunku. The RB Leipzig forward plays AM or on either wings but creates and scores (10 goals 9 assists) and has ben a consistent performer for the last 3 years. Timo Werner scored so many goals at RB Leipzig (before he came to Chelsea) because Nkunku was putting it on a plate for him for tap ins - at Chelsea he had no Nkunku. Most importantly, unlike a Schick (who I highly rate) or Raphinha, those two alone might not make as big an impact because the former needs supply while the latter needs a finisher. Nkunku can do it all on the other hand, pace, eye for goal, unselfish and I've been really impressed. Maybe it's just a dream but at least it's a breath of fresh air that we can at least hope like this now. Just got to keep our feet on the ground and continue grinding results and pull away from relegation.

1 hour ago, Phoenix711 said:

I like the idea but think maybe we should target clubs more like PSG rather than Chelsea or a Man City. All those players you mention are good but none are Champions League level (at least yet, maybe Ake might be), otherwise they would still be at Chelsea.

PSG on the other hand are adamant on big names so have let go of Kingsley Coman, Rabiot, Nkunku and Moussa Diaby, all world class players worth £40-50m+. I don't know if PSG have anyone else not getting game time but we should definitely have a good poke around.

If I could only buy ONE player for Newcastle this summer who I think would make the biggest difference to the club, I'm inclined to go for Christopher Nkunku. The RB Leipzig forward plays AM or on either wings but creates and scores (10 goals 9 assists) and has ben a consistent performer for the last 3 years. Timo Werner scored so many goals at RB Leipzig (before he came to Chelsea) because Nkunku was putting it on a plate for him for tap ins - at Chelsea he had no Nkunku. Most importantly, unlike a Schick (who I highly rate) or Raphinha, those two alone might not make as big an impact because the former needs supply while the latter needs a finisher. Nkunku can do it all on the other hand, pace, eye for goal, unselfish and I've been really impressed. Maybe it's just a dream but at least it's a breath of fresh air that we can at least hope like this now. Just got to keep our feet on the ground and continue grinding results and pull away from relegation.

I like your thinking but obviously keeping it English based keeps the domestic feeling and Home-Grown quota covered. Nkunku should be up there as a top target for us I think in the summer. In the summer I’d like a few well known players with top level experience like Trippier and Gumiraes (obviously still young) but some highly promising players from top clubs is definitely a market to look at.

I've mentioned Nkunku a few times on here. If we stay up and there's even the slightest chance of getting him then he'd be my dream signing. 

Having him and ASM in front of Bruno G in CM . Along with a right sided forward and CW or new striker. Dreamy. 

Newcastle United keeper Martin Dubravka, 33, turned down a loan move to Manchester United in January, with the Magpies offering the Slovakia international to the Old Trafford club in their attempts to bring in England stopper Dean Henderson, 24, until the end of the season. (Manchester Evening News)

44 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Newcastle United keeper Martin Dubravka, 33, turned down a loan move to Manchester United in January, with the Magpies offering the Slovakia international to the Old Trafford club in their attempts to bring in England stopper Dean Henderson, 24, until the end of the season. (Manchester Evening News)

Nah, don’t believe that at all. Was a loan move if we did.

On 08/02/2022 at 12:47, Tomato Deuce said:

:lol: some of you are so precious.

Yeah, it's weird to be honest as it makes total sense. The guy is in his late 20s. There is no guarantee we'll see success for a few seasons still, even if we can pay to compete towards the top. I fully understand that someone already well off would look at the sporting perspective of his next move at that age, if he was in his early 20s, perhaps his view would be different - he could think he'd win trophies here before he's too old to compete at the top level. I personally don't think we'll win any major trophies before five-ten years even if we'll compete well because the gap is as large as it is to bridge to the very top teams in the world still.

I'd already like Targett to be a permanent move in the summer.  Ideally Lewis would be his deputy and learn a thing or two along the way.  Then I'd like to see someone brought in to be Trips understudy.  I know it might spell the end of Manq but this should be the way forward: established starter> younger guy that is established with room to grow>youth players.

For next year I'd love to see two viable players for each position so we can fight for a top 7 (maybe? too ambitious?) AND make a couple of cup runs.

I think we need a pacy, mobile striker and still more depth in the midfield and at CB.  Plus the second 11 will have a lot of turnover and those players will need replacement.  It will certainly be interesting to see how Ashworth and Howe start to remake the squad