More transfer rumours

midds

We would get at least what we paid for Burn, for Lascelles. He's younger and our captain, and despite what some believe, a PL CB.

Hayden we will be lucky to get 4m for. He's a good championship CM in every sense.

So we could get 20m for both of them, if we are lucky.

Lascelles isn't worth selling, as he would need replacing and therefore we wouldn't gain anything financially.

We've 32 senior players on our books. Ideally we'll get rid of 10+ of them this summer, but that's probably too much to do in one window.

I think we'll be stuck with some of the current deadwood for a few more windows.

39 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We've 32 senior players on our books. Ideally we'll get rid of 10+ of them this summer, but that's probably too much to do in one window.

I think we'll be stuck with some of the current deadwood for a few more windows.

Heavily subsidised loans are more likely just to get them off the books is more likely than sales while it doesn't help much towards balancing the books the club unlike previously don't need the funds literally and are aware of how limited some of the lads are hampered by either ability or too good of a contract to walk away on. 

I’m not sure, I think the biggest earner was Shelvey before.. around 80k, still an obscene amount but the other lads are likely on far less, that’s well within the majority of even upper Championship level teams, never mind PL.

A lot of them can find parity in terms of wages while dropping to a more suitable level for their ability.

Players like Gayle, you pretty much have to give away for nowt, if you want a championship club to give him a decent wage.

Again, he'd be a no brainer for the likes of Sunderland.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Players like Gayle, you pretty much have to give away for nowt, if you want a championship club to give him a decent wage.

Again, he'd be a no brainer for the likes of Sunderland.

Is his Mam still alive? She'll need her weatherproof poncho for the car park on match days 

Speaking of Moussa Diaby. Hasn’t he faded quite badly after some great form earlier on? Seems quite raw the little I’ve seen of him. Has scored and assisted quite a few tbf. Personally I think I’d go for someone else. Not that I’d complain if we got him like. 

Edited by Ikon

5 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

We definitely would 

Hayden is 27 years old with multiple years of premier league experience 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/isaac-hayden/profil/spieler/206225

Lascelles is 28 years old 

again with lots of premier league experience 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jamaal-lascelles/profil/spieler/183318

Agree, we tend to undervalue our own players, they might not be CL players, but even a decent championship player costs you that much. They are solid pros.

Presumably we can afford to subsidise any amount of the wages of anyone we don’t want. We won’t be stuck with anyone. We could even just keep paying them and not have them in the squad, if it came to that. 

I can’t see incomings being affected by that issue. 

6 hours ago, Flip said:

I mean it might've coincided with great form in the fall, but for the past 5-6 games for the national side it's been him and Raphinha as the two main star. Paqueta is as long as he doesn't fall off a cliff a starter and one of the main stars for Brazil playing behind Neymar and interchanging as he moves up top and Neymar comes and picks the ball up deep with Vini and Raphinha out wide. In a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 position. 

Hard for me to believe our scouting team would now be 50/50 or undecided on him if he was indeed the original player we wanted in January only to turn us down and having been linked by some top journalists ever since then. 

Hear me out, but I do wonder whether our spend will end up closer to £60-80m (plus sales) rather than £150m+

We might find it tricky to bring in our top targets due to not being able to offer European football next season. The decision then is, do we just go down our list until we get someone in, or do we wait until we can offer it, then move.

I don't have any inside knowledge or anything but I think we (or the owners) may look at what £90m got them in January and think that maybe two quality additions (£30-40m) plus a loan or two and one or two free transfers could have us knocking on the door of the European places, where you're in a much stronger position to attract those top targets. 

Obviously that alone isn't going to get us into the top four but there may be an element of keeping our powder dry, see if we can sneak into the top 6-8 then start with the huge nine-figure transfer windows to push us from there to the top four (which, let's be honest, is the real challenge).

25 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Hear me out, but I do wonder whether our spend will end up closer to £60-80m (plus sales) rather than £150m+

We might find it tricky to bring in our top targets due to not being able to offer European football next season. The decision then is, do we just go down our list until we get someone in, or do we wait until we can offer it, then move.

I don't have any inside knowledge or anything but I think we (or the owners) may look at what £90m got them in January and think that maybe two quality additions (£30-40m) plus a loan or two and one or two free transfers could have us knocking on the door of the European places, where you're in a much stronger position to attract those top targets. 

Obviously that alone isn't going to get us into the top four but there may be an element of keeping our powder dry, see if we can sneak into the top 6-8 then start with the huge nine-figure transfer windows to push us from there to the top four (which, let's be honest, is the real challenge).

We've been seriously linked with too many players, in too many positions for us to only sign 2 players.

17 minutes ago, STM said:

We've been seriously linked with too many players, in too many positions for us to only sign 2 players.

I do get what he's saying though, if we don't get our primary targets, we might not want to spend too much on secondary ones who won't improve us that much.