More transfer rumours

midds

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

This.

Anything lower then 8th would feel like a bit of a let down.

We’ll do well to finish above 9th imo; competing in a mini-league under “the big 6”, with teams like Villa, West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. Finishing 8th means going above 2 of those and would be a very decent season.

5 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

There’s no such thing. FFP does not care about whether you pay a transfer free up front or over 100 years - it makes absolutely no difference to your profit and loss. The only thing that matters is the contractual value of the transfer fee.

It would make a difference to this years’ allocated transfer budget though. 

1 hour ago, xLiaaamx said:

Follow up is even worse. No money and Harrison main target. 

I don't think he has many contacts left at the club, this take just seems like what Ashley would do with a few quid, the Saudis are currently giving old golfers more than our current total budget according to Edwards, I just don't belive the budget is fixed.

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

I don't think he has many contacts left at the club, this take just seems like what Ashley would do with a few quid, the Saudis are currently giving old golfers more than our current total budget according to Edwards, I just don't belive the budget is fixed.

While I agree Edwards probably has no contacts the golf thing is irrelevant. The golfers don’t have to deal with FFP

Ignoring the fact that all PIF projects will have an x-year capital injection plan already laid out, the Saudis can actively advertise itself with these golf tournaments. Rightly or wrongly, they can’t do that with us with all this fair-value sponsorship carry-on.

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

While I agree Edwards probably has no contacts the golf thing is irrelevant. The golfers don’t have to deal with FFP

TBF I was talking about investment budgets, I just don't see them putting a figure on it like what Edwards is saying, of course they are being frugal and getting value for money but if a good deal presents itself I'm convinced they we be prepared to invest.

I cannot see how our budget is anywhere near being spent yet.  My main reason is that pretty much everything we have spent so far, aside Bruno is entirely defense related. Whilst it was very definately needed, Tripps, Burn and Targett already made a massive difference.  So to conitnue spending there (and only there) would not make any sense to me, espcially spending another £50M in Pope and Bottman.  Howe has already said we plan to be more expansive and so on, so we need to the players to achieve that. 

There is no way the club can afford to go into the season with just Wood and Wilson.  Hence, one or two more (Striker and RW) are a priority now and the two are likely to cost anything up to and including £100 unless we pick up a couple of lower (Hugo) level deals. 

Conclusion - Edwards is full of shit (perhaps I should have just said that).

Edwards said we’d spend fuck all in January and he was talking shit. He’s basically realised that his main job as a journalist is to get clicks and that being wrong has no negative impact on that, in fact, if it pisses people off, all the better for it. Another person who needs to be ignored

47 minutes ago, McCormick said:

We’ll do well to finish above 9th imo; competing in a mini-league under “the big 6”, with teams like Villa, West Ham, Wolves and Leicester. Finishing 8th means going above 2 of those and would be a very decent season.

I think we should be going above two of those tbh, unlike the Big Six, they shouldn't in theory have as much pulling power as us. We should be able to source the type of players who will take us above them.

9 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

"Keep budget expectations realistic" could be for us as fans, or for selling clubs...

What he’s saying is that because we are so stupid, he had to take responsibility and explain to us how it all works.

And  the club thanked him for being so knowledgeable, foresighted and caring to do so, because - also they are too stupid to communicate themselves..

yep…

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think we should be going above two of those tbh, unlike the Big Six, they shouldn't in theory have as much pulling power as us. We should be able to source the type of players who will take us above them.

I’m not sure at all. Villa and West Ham have similar pulling power and seemingly similar profile of transfer targets; similarly strict wage structures have been established with all of us as well. The pull of being the richest club in the world is meaningless if we refuse (or let’s say are limited) to throw the cash about.

Still think we need a CM, RW and a versatile attacker who can play across the front 3 when needed. 

Long way to go in the window but my gut feeling is we won't get all 3. Think we'll be a bit light in terms of quality and depth uptop come the start of the season. 

If there was no money, we wouldn't spend 10M on a keeper. In 2020, we are fifth best in goals against per 90. We are eleventh in goals scored, and only one goal better than Leeds, who were nearly relegated.

A winger, a striker and Paqueta, I'll be chuffed.

Can we really rely on Broja for goals if Wilson is out injured? Not seen enougj of him to be honest so shitting my pants if we don't have any other names linked.