More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, snakzz said:

Would do Paqueta and Oshimen from the list if I could pick. 

If we get Paqueta and Omishen we're winning the Carabao Cup at the very least. Our first team would be fucking insane. 

Osimhen would be the best signing we could make in terms of statement and to make the world take notice. 

Diaby is probably the biggest need in terms of current gaps in the team.

Pacqueta is the perhaps least needed but most transformational on the pitch. 

All three between now and end of January would be insane and would make us top 6, easy. 

But that’s an additional 150m worth of players easy. Who would/could you sell to make up the shortfall? 

Murphy, Almiron, Shelvey, Hendricks, Gayle, Clark, Fernandez, Murphy, Ritchie, Manquillo. You might get 30-40m for that lot. That’s ten players out. 

Too much activity for two windows perhaps but is what I’d love to see by end of January. 

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

We’d be lucky to shift some of those at all, let alone getting 30m+.

I think for Murphy, Almiron, Shelvey and Manquillo you could probably get there or thereabouts. The rest probably would be free transfers or on loan until the contracts run out. 

Almiron in particular is probably worth 20m in todays climate.

Just now, kingxlnc said:

I think for Murphy, Almiron, Shelvey and Manquillo you could probably get there or thereabouts. The rest probably would be free transfers or on loan until the contracts run out. 

Not a chance we get anywhere close to 20 for Almiron 

Almiron has proven he hasn't really got any output in the PL and is now approaching his later 20s. I don't see any PL club bidding any money for him.

There would likely be quite a lot of interest from European clubs but they don't have any money. And what money they do have they spend on younger investments.

You'd honestly be struggling to get more than 5-10 million for him IMO.

6 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

15m at the absolute max for Almiron. 

Feel a bit sorry for Almiron. He has flashes of brilliance and of looking like a top PL level player. And is obviously an established international. Keep thinking that with the right players around him, in the right system, he would be difficult to replace with a better option, at least in the current state of play. Though guess it is an issue of how long you give someone and what the views are of him from Howe and the coaching staff. 

The exposure to his solitary goal last season might stick a few more quid on whatever he goes for. Seems absolutely impossible that we'd get our money back for him though. 

No beef with him sticking around though, personally; he played well during his spell in the side at the end of the season. If we're making room on the wings I'd sooner see Murphy leave. 

Rather see Almiron stay than Murphy. Even Fraser.  Unless we sign two wingers then Miggy stays. I can see him bettering his stats going forward. So much to do with confidence and feeling comfortable when you finish. Think he can do more than he has shown so far. In general play he is pretty decent overall. 

26 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I have to salute the optimism.  First for saying that getting the top 6 with three, albeit very good signings, would be easy.  Then for thinking that collection of players would bring in anywhere near 30 million.  As others have pointed out I'd be surprised if we got over 10 million for Almiron.

I think people need to appreciate how hard the top 6 will be to crack.  It's like anything, to improve to a point, e.g. going from 14-8, can be relatively easy. However, to get those final improvements that change you from good to great you need to put in so much more to achieve seemingly minimal measurable improvements.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed
Typo

On Gordon: I was convinced that the reason we avoided Digne was because of a bad reference from Rafa, who I'm sure we have a direct line to.

Therefore, would it be safe to assume that Rafa has, at least in part, reccomended Gordon?

If he has a glowing reference from Rafa would that change anyone's negative opinion on him?

I'd love a little rat like that in our team, but seems like no dice. Think someone else said it best, but I think it's clear we're full steam ahead with getting a winger in and have put plenty of enquiries out this week.

Howe's had one look at Miggy, Fraser, and Murphy and thought "fuck that". (Not really)

Don’t think Almiron is going anywhere and I think he has a role to play in our team as a sub playing the high press late on in games. I have a soft spot for him and wish he could deliver more goals and assists but I don’t think we can expect a dramatic improvement from him next season even if Howe gets the best out of him 

Guest HTT II

Almiron is bobbins, as is Frazer and Murphy really. If we don’t improve the right wing with a top player we will struggle for goals again next season. 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

On Gordon: I was convinced that the reason we avoided Digne was because of a bad reference from Rafa, who I'm sure we have a direct line to.

Therefore, would it be safe to assume that Rafa has, at least in part, reccomended Gordon?

If he has a glowing reference from Rafa would that change anyone's negative opinion on him?

Not sure on Rafa’s opinion, but Gordon had been out on an unsuccessful loan at Preston NE (played 11 times never full 90), prior to Rafa taking on the poisoned chalice. After preseason training he kept him at Everton and he had 25 starts (35 appearances) last season. Not sure how many of each under Rafa or after. 

10 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I have to salute the optimism.  First for saying that getting the top 6 with three, albeit very good signings, would be easy.  Then for thinking that collection of players would bring in anywhere near 30 million.  As others have pointed out I'd be surprised if we got over 10 million for Almiron.

I think people need to appreciate how hard the top 6 will be to crack.  It's like anything, to improve to a point, e.g. going from 14-8, can be relatively easy. However, to get those final improvements that change you from good to great you need to put in so much more to achieve seemingly minimal measurable improvements.

It's unlikely we'll sign all three. 

But if we did this is what a first XI would look like. 

Pope (Eng international)

Trippier (Eng int) Schar (Swiss int) Botman (one of Europes best young prospects) Targett (solid 7/10, even NI int Lewis could become first choice with work)

Guimares, Joelinton, Pacqueta (trio of Brazillians, one int starter, one regular and one is our player of the year)

Diaby and ASM (French wingers, both hugely fast, tricky and talented with best outputs of their career last season)

Osimhen (1 in 2 fearsome striker). 

As backup

Dubravka

Krafth (Swe int, much improved), Lascelles (captain), Burn (solid performer), Targett/Lewis

Shelvey, Longstaff, Willock (decent English players who would be excellent backups to the Brazillians)

Fraser, Almiron (Sco and Par int)

Wilson (top scorer)

It's a very strong squad all round if it got to that stage and I believe it would certainly give the likes of Arsenal, West Ham, Leicester, Villa and even Man U a challenge for top 6. That first XI would probably be our strongest in the PL era. 

We may even top it up then with youngsters like Anderson, Sucic and the like to keep competition solid without taking up squad places. 

It shows we are potentially 3 first team players away from an extremely formidable team. 

P.S with Almiron, we're living in a time where Gordon is worth 35m, Almiron who has achieved more is certainly worth 20m. Can see Atletico Madrid or someone paying that for sure. 

Angelo Gabriel (could there be a better named future Angel of the North?) 
 “Interesting report from Globo that Steve Nickson travelled to Brazil to start negotiations for 17-year-old Santos striker Angelo. Fast, skillful Brazil under-17 striker tracked by Barca, Liverpool & Real Madrid. NUFC proposed €20m but rejected. Long-term target.”

EBF237CE-E1CA-45D3-9F7D-C533085F81F4.thumb.jpeg.37106029d0ff928d65b641b346130708.jpeg

Hate to say it but I reckon it’s very very unlikely that we get Paqueta (this window at least). What I can see is someone like Broja on loan and using the leftover funds for a monster offer on Diaby. 

Almiron is powderpuff; there’s just no end product.  Of him, Murphy and Fraser, I’d keep Fraser for now, but none of them are particularly convincing.

Seems like a canny lad, though.  I’d like to see him carve out a decent career in a league more fitting to his abilities. 

29 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Angelo Gabriel (could there be a better named future Angel of the North?) 
 “Interesting report from Globo that Steve Nickson travelled to Brazil to start negotiations for 17-year-old Santos striker Angelo. Fast, skillful Brazil under-17 striker tracked by Barca, Liverpool & Real Madrid. NUFC proposed €20m but rejected. Long-term target.”

EBF237CE-E1CA-45D3-9F7D-C533085F81F4.thumb.jpeg.37106029d0ff928d65b641b346130708.jpeg

54 appearances, zero goals :dowie:

Yeah I think we are balls in the bath on Diaby. There is a real possibility that we smash our transfer record to get him.

It's unclear how the player feels but if Leverkusen were to accept a bid, he would at least be tempted. Surely we have sounded him out.

It's interesting that we were supposedly quoted 60m Euros for him, that surely means there is a chance that we could get him for less than 50m pounds, which I think we could do.