More transfer rumours

midds

5 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

It may not be a pipe dream but it's certainly not "more than realistic". We are behind West Ham as it stands let alone the top 6.

West Ham are hardly untouchable. I'd expect us to be eclipsing them this season if we get a couple of top class forwards in.

18 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We've not been a possession side for a looong time.

Have we ever been a possession side apart from McClaren's attempt? :lol:

Think it'll be before Opta started keeping records but I don't remember the Keegan team being possession based, or Robson. Was more about fast attacking wing play and service into the box?

Hmm, we weren’t a possession side with Keegan in the Barca / Man City mould but I’m fairly sure we’d have dominated possession over most teams back then, just wouldn’t have been the striking stats you see nowadays of 70/30 possession 

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not many of us disagreed with there being a budget, we disagreed that it would be the 50 million that Edwards said it was, and we will have spent probably around double that come the end of the window. 

All the press said it was circa 50-60m not just Edwards. All the press since have said it will be bigger including Edwards at £70-90m.

I personally predicted £110… £120 if we got some transfer fees in.

Only one group of people really know though.

I am quite happy with our main style being that of the Arsenal game (which i think was our 'best' performance of the howe era) where we got better posession through pressing and through intensity not through 'posession' guardiola style football. I would though like us to manage games better and that involves being able to turn downt he aggression conserve energy and play keep ball and prevent counter attacks. We played with desperation last season under Howe, we won't have that backs against the wall desperation and while some of continuing is keeping that intensity up it will also be making sure the squad can play different ways. With 5 subs next season too I imagine plenty of scope for changing up. 

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

All the press said it was circa 50-60m not just Edwards. All the press since have said it will be bigger including Edwards at £70-90m.

I personally predicted £110… £120 if we got some transfer fees in.

Only one group of people really know though.

That suggests that there might not be a set budget.

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Have we ever been a possession side apart from McClaren's attempt? :lol:

Think it'll be before Opta started keeping records but I don't remember the Keegan team being possession based, or Robson. Was more about fast attacking wing play and service into the box?

DNA.

I think under Bobby, teams came to SJP happy for a point and would really sit back. But we weren't a possession team. As you say - never really been. I remember Bobby's team was immense in transition and on the counter.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

West Ham are hardly untouchable. I'd expect us to be eclipsing them this season if we get a couple of top class forwards in.

Certainly doable. But West Ham aren't a top 6 team.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Chelsea allegedly want £30 million for Broja.

This is what I thought. I like Broja. £30m seems a lot for a player whose best performance in league football is 10 goals in the Eredivise.

I like him a lot. But man... that is too high. A lot of uncertainty and risk.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Chelsea allegedly want £30 million for Broja.

Seems pretty reasonable all things considered. He's shown he can play at this level, he's young and in today's market £30m is not a lot for a striker

I think West Ham are very good. Zouma is the defender we hope Botman can be. Bowen is the wide forward we hope ASM can become. Rice, Soucek is the midfield duo we hope to be better than this season etc.

They have Europe again which is an issue. But if we finish above them, I will be v. happy. I expect them to compete well again.