More transfer rumours

midds

25 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Improvement or not (in that position our bar is low), the probable outcome of investing in a 25 y/o being a 30% loss of value is a bet I do not take.   

This feels like very Ashley way of thinking. If he does a job for us then it doesn't matter if we make a profit or not on him. We keep him if he's playing well or take a loss.

I don't have the figures to hand but I bet Man City and Chelsea made a loss on a lot of players that they brought in initially

I think Harrison would prove to be a decent player in our system, but it seems like we may have to pay a premium to sign him - a premium we appear unwilling to pay for our first choice targets. How much of that is down to him really wanting the move, as opposed to Diaby for instance probably not really wanting the move, may be the deciding factor. 

Edited by Sean

39 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Personally, I wouldn't have Harrison and certainly nowhere near the money being quoted. Is he really a next step player? 

He’s an upgrade and he’s versatile. We don’t need to buy world beaters to improve.

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

People not happy with Harrison would be buzzing if we were linked with a foreign player with the same sort of number in an inferior league. 

Everybody horny for Jacques Haricot 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

This feels like very Ashley way of thinking. If he does a job for us then it doesn't matter if we make a profit or not on him. We keep him if he's playing well or take a loss.

I don't have the figures to hand but I bet Man City and Chelsea made a loss on a lot of players that they brought in initially

Man City and Chelsea were pre-FFP. If that was our operating environment we probably aren't looking at Jack Harrison and I also wouldn't care. Valuation doesn't have to be about making a profit. Liverpool do not buy players with a view to selling them, but they have been very good at increasing the value of their investments. If you're not elite and want to become elite, you need to be good at spotting pricing inefficiencies with asymmetric risk/return. My argument is Jack Harrison is not that. 

6 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

He’s an upgrade and he’s versatile. We don’t need to buy world beaters to improve.

Doesn't take anything much to be an upgrade on what we have currently. I've made my initial comment and I'll discuss further IF he is brought in.

39 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well a lot of people pooh pooh-ing over the idea of Harrison, maybe because he doesn't do the fancy step overs, but he might do a lot of things right which don't catch the eye. I know many of us thought James Milner wasn't good enough, but he's won umpteen trophies since at Liverpool. Those numbers do suggest Harrison has something about him.

Many thought Milner wasn’t good enough? Wow. I thought he was our strongest player, for a time at least. Was also an amazing youngster with Leeds. Maybe there’s at least a superficial similarity with Harrison and with Lee. All wingers early career, but to use a musical analogy no frills/ornamentation applied—just banged out a good tune with massive effort pretty much every gig. 

54 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Improvement or not (in that position our bar is low), the probable outcome of investing in a 25 y/o being a 30% loss of value is a bet I do not take.   

What's investing and losses got to do with it? This isn't Ashley FC anymore. 

Say he costs 30m at 6m depreciation over 5 years. You sell him in 3 years for 15m and you write off your remaining asset with a couple of mil released back to the P&L. That's not a loss. That's value for money.

Then we buy a 60m player cos we'll be elite by then :snod:

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

Many thought Milner wasn’t good enough? Wow. I thought he was our strongest player, for a time at least. Was also an amazing youngster with Leeds. Maybe there’s at least a superficial similarity with Harrison and with Lee. All wingers early career, but to use a musical analogy no frills/ornamentation applied—just banged out a good tune with massive effort pretty much every gig. 

Milner wasn't great for us....he got a lot better after leaving

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I still can't get my head round those fans that would happily go spunk £60 million on Diaby, but won't entertain Harrison at £25-£30 million.

Moot point as Diaby is off the table in his own words

Harrison is probably close to his peak value. At his age and ability level you are unlikely to make any money on him going forward.

However - he is also at an age and price point where you are not likely to make a big loss if you box clever. He will come in, contribute significantly to our progress, and could theoretically be moved onto another PL club if the time comes at the right time. Because he's mid-20s rather than late and not at a ridiculous price point you would only make a small loss. Or he keeps improving, stays until the end of is career and his a great signing rather than just a good one.

I'm as conscious as anybody to our need to get value in the market - but I think you can afford signings of this nature. If he was 28 now it would be a whole different story. It's very nuanced.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

What's investing and losses got to do with it? This isn't Ashley FC anymore. 

Say he costs 30m at 6m depreciation over 5 years. You sell him in 3 years for 15m and you write off your remaining asset with a couple of mil released back to the P&L. That's not a loss. That's value for money.

Then we buy a 60m player cos we'll be elite by then :snod:

sorry but if you buy at 30 and sell at 15 you’ve made a loss.

it may be an acceptable loss but it’s a loss

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I don’t agree. I was really disappointed when we sold him. Can’t even recall the manager? Probs FSA? 

Keegan. But not his choice. Done without his knowledge or consent. Th beginning of the end of the goodwill to the FCB. I’d just got a photo with him in the beer / pie queue at the Ricoh the night before too. Typical. 

done behind his back but then he was calmed down by being promised schweinsteiger as a replacement.

i think we offered a couple of million for him.

they said no.

and KK pissed off.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

done behind his back but then he was calmed down by being promised schweinsteiger as a replacement.

i think we offered a couple of million for him.

they said no.

and KK pissed off.

Thought it was Modric that was the final straw?