More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

If we haven’t signed anyone by deadline day I would take him on loan, he would be a last resort though if we literally couldn’t get anyone else.

Yeah, it's a tough one. I look at his record for scoring goals, outside of last season and it's decent ... but my God, I have seen that guy look absolutely shocking at times for Arsenal.

If the rumour is true, I get the impression we may really be focusing on someone that has done the business in the Prem previously, after not being able to get Diaby.

If so, I wish we'd look into bringing Matheus Pereira back from Saudi, as he was brilliant for West Brom his one and only season in the Prem.

8 minutes ago, Unlucky Luque said:

Pepe on loan would be a decent signing IMO. Not sure what happened to him as he looked a world beater, but if he's hungry for a fresh start, I would much rather see him on the right than Murphy or Fraser.

What did happen to him?

I don't know man ... maybe the big fee messed with his head? Honestly, when I watch him he just looks like he even struggles to control the ball at times. It's so weird.

The man scored 35 league goals over his last two seasons at Lille. That's bloody impressive. Just doesn't match up with the player I see at Arsenal.

7 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Regarding our transfer policy, I’d argue out biggest problem is that we aren’t a very attractive proposition yet. It will take a few years of sustained succes (read: European football at a minimum) to become a destination the players who will want to play at that level consider us interesting enough to pressure their club into allowing them to speak to us. All we represent today is moneybags and a history for being a bit of a players’ career graveyard, which if we’re not careful will attract exactly the wrong type of player. In any case our facilities are still laughable and any top player will turn us down until we have more solid foundations in place. FFP also dictates that our build has to be a slow and sustainable one. Our owners can’t just go around splashing billions to make us CL win contenders overnight.

i have full faith in them to do the right thing and so far they have absolutely earned out faith by setting out a clear policy, getting the right people in place and planning for the future. It will take time to rebuild this club after more than a decade of willful neglect. Let’s treasure every moment and not act like spoiled bairns who need another new toy every other week.

Coming on here quoting your common sense and talking like an intelligent adult, you’re in the wrong thread mate.

Just now, gdm said:

You said we’d spend another £120m after botman 

Was originally a bit tongue in cheek I said 120 million on attacking flair, but it seems to me we were definitely in for Ekiteke who went for over 35 million, sounds like we've been priced out of Diaby as they want 60 million but it's reasonable to say if they'd have done a deal at 40 we'd have paid it? That would have us at nearly 150 million spent. I think if the deals are there to be done and are worth it we'll spend the money.

25 minutes ago, jack j said:

Still in the top 20 transfer fees of all time. I'd imagine to sign Diaby we would have had to pay just abit less

Canny gamble really when ya think...

Exactly. Pepe will be exactly an example of why we won't go to 50-60 million for Diaby or anybody like that right now. That price point becomes really problematic if things go wrong.

30 million is the sweetspot of doubling in value if they excel, being value for money if they do OK, and making a manageable loss if they bomb.

60 million they basically have to be brilliant to be worthwhile - and could potentially be an enormous write-off if they end up like Pepe.

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Like I said above if the deals we've been in for had came off it seems we wouldn't have been far off doing that. Think we've definitely been In for Ekiteke and Diaby.

But they didn’t so you are

If it becomes impossible to sign a decent forward for the right price we'll just have to come to terms with another low scoring season where defence will be the primary objective. Maybe if Fraser can stay fit for a decent patch he can contribute something.