More transfer rumours

midds

Hard to believe just 12 months ago a sizeable chunk of Newcastle fans would have willingly and genuinely accepted relegation to get rid of Ashley. 

Yet here we are. Moaning because we still have 2 positions to cover and only a handful of Internationals to do it. 

:lol:

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

People are still judging their expectations based on Ashley. It’s not their fault, tbf. Years of being groomed.

The bare minimum isn’t the aim. This squad even without further investment should be aiming for 10th or higher. 

We have the finance and opportunity to fill two important positions and we should do so. That should put us in a strong position for a strong season.

Nah.

44 goals midfield and forward line. 9th is the ceiling with that type of output. I think Wolves & Brighton bored the league to that type of finish.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I like Cornet a lot. But we could've signed him a month ago. That's my only issue with that one.

Just means we were (still are?) hopeful of signing someone even better. Unless we sign no one, I really don't see a downside.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not disagreeing on that, just think if we took an extra 5 weeks to get in real top class quality then it’s better than having the likes of  Cornet in right now.

That right winger slot is tricky. Especially, as we appear to be leaning towards having a left footer in that slot.

There aren't many Bruno level players that we can go for there. Diaby was the clear one, but it didn't work out, mostly due to Leverkusen making the Champions League IMO.

I'll say it again though, if it is Cornet he will surprise people a lot. He's shown the ability at Champions League level in that position. He's also still just 25 years old. But the real beauty of the situation would be that due to the low release clause, we could still look at going back in for Diaby next summer as we wouldn't have broken the bank for Cornet, unlike paying £35 million odd for Harrison for example.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

People are still judging their expectations based on Ashley. It’s not their fault, tbf. Years of being groomed.

The bare minimum isn’t the aim. This squad even without further investment should be aiming for 10th or higher. 

We have the finance and opportunity to fill two important positions and we should do so. That should put us in a strong position for a strong season.

@54was meant to quote you and now it’s not playing ball.

I think we're both kind of falling foul of each other using different language here tbh.

I don't think the aim for this season should be between 8th and 12th, the aim should be trying to do what West Ham did last season, and I think the players and staff will be thinking that, but I don't think it'd be a failure if we finished between that 8th to 12th spot without being in any trouble at any point, and doing that would be progress on where the club has been, especially if we have a cup run. 

7 minutes ago, midds said:

Hard to believe just 12 months ago a sizeable chunk of Newcastle fans would have willingly and genuinely accepted relegation to get rid of Ashley. 

Yet here we are. Moaning because we still have 2 positions to cover and only a handful of Internationals to do it. 

But that’s what you should do though - you should want to improve and have more success, especially when you have a greater wealth of resources.

I’m sure we’ll look back on this conversation in five years time when people are disappointed to lose the CL final on penalties.

We’ll still rightly be able to comment on it and put criticism forward if it’s required, saying “oh well, don’t forget about the time we were worried about playing Chris Wood upfront” isn’t good enough mitigation if Neymar misses a sitter in the 90th minute, people will still be upset because our expectations will have changed.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

4 minutes ago, midds said:

We are entitled to be buying everyone. We are the richest club on the planet etc. 

The amount of fans pissing on about how shite our new owners are was expected to be fair. Wasn’t expecting as many on here mind. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

That right winger slot is tricky. Especially, as we appear to be leaning towards having a left footer in that slot.

There aren't many Bruno level players that we can go for there. Diaby was the clear one, but it didn't work out, mostly due to Leverkusen making the Champions League IMO.

I'll say it again though, if it is Cornet he will surprise people a lot. He's shown the ability at Champions League level in that position. He's also still just 25 years old. But the real beauty of the situation would be that due to the low release clause, we could still look at going back in for Diaby next summer as we wouldn't have broken the bank for Cornet, unlike paying £35 million odd for Harrison for example.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not against signing him and certainly sounds like a good price. I was more saying that if it took an extra 5 weeks to bring in as you say a Bruno level player, then it would certainly be worth the wait. 

Just now, RS said:

We are entitled to be buying everyone. We are the richest club on the planet etc. 

The amount of fans pissing on about how shite our new owners are was expected to be fair. Wasn’t expecting as many on here mind. 

Can you show me an example of this? Or have you made this up?

16 minutes ago, midds said:

How dare we want the best for the football club :lol:

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Haven’t seen one single person say our new owners are shite :lol: that’s more hyperbolic as the people not happy at potential signing

Edited by gdm

Guest HTT II

I just want us to sign players or the type of player we need which I’m sure we will, the scale in quality will always fluctuate. Sir Bobby wanted pace and pressing alongside Shearer, we targeted Jeffers, Bellamy and others. He wanted a wide left player with good crossing, we looked at a few and ended up with Robert. At this stage I’d say it’s not about maximum quality, but maximum attributes or rather maximising from a signing what suits our needs most. We need pace, goals and assists from the right and cover up top, anyone that can bring that in be it a Diaby or a Cornet will improve us. 

Edited by HTT II

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In terms of incomings:

Botman, Pope, Cornet & Targett is an Ashley type beat. 

Extending Krafth, Dummett and Longstaff is also an Ashley type beat too tbf.

Worst post I’ve read on here in years, and that’s saying something.

28 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Has he ? 

He just seems to report on what has already been in the media for a few days. His exclusives have never been right from what I can see.

When it comes to us I think he has, happy to be corrected.

A reporters reliability tends to vary from club to club.

You can say we're in a better position than we have been in years, you can add the January business into the equation and count the calendar year etc. and all of that is fine, and true, but if we're being honest, I find it hard to believe m/any Newcastle fans would have expected basically just Botman to have been brought in as an improvement to how we ended last season heading into August, and a week before the new season kicks off.

As a standalone summer transfer window on it's own, the first under the (controversial) new owners, it's definitely been underwhelming up to this point, but hopefully we can get the two new additions in before the end of next month, ideally significantly better than what we already have.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

You can say we're in a better position than we have been in years, you can add the January business into the equation and count the calendar year etc. and all of that is fine, and true, but if we're being honest, I find it hard to believe m/any Newcastle fans would have expected basically just Botman to have been brought in as an improvement to how we ended last season heading into August, and a week before the new season kicks off.

As a standalone summer transfer window on it's own, the first under the (controversial) new owners, it's definitely been underwhelming up to this point, but hopefully we can get the two new additions in before the end of next month, ideally significantly better than what we already have.